Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raneri is Gone

• 31-05-2004 5:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw it on Sky news,
    gg :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Thankyou Claudio for the work you've done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It's not really a shock, but goodbye Claudio. I hope he gets another job in the Premier League, if not he will be sorely missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Not surprising , now we'll have to see how much of the article below comes true
    Chelsea last night started their summer spending spree as they finalised the contract to sign their new coach Jose Mourinho. The four-year package is worth €24m (£16.5m) and, at fives times his current salary, will also make him the best-paid manager in the Premiership and trigger at least another £80m in transfers.

The Porto coach was meeting the Chelsea chief executive, Peter Kenyon, at a secret location and will sign the contract over the weekend with an announcement due at the beginning of next week before Mourinho goes on holiday to Brazil. At the same time Claudio Ranieri will be sacked with a £6m pay-off and Frank Lampard is expected to agree a new £80,000-a-week contract. The midfielder, along with Claude Makelele, is Mourinho's favourite Chelsea player and is central to his plans.

Mourinho is expected to arrive with at least two of his Porto players - the play-maker Deco, who has turned down a move to Bayern Munich and wants to join Chelsea, and the midfielder Costinha. They may be joined by right-back Paulo Ferreira, although that deal has cooled, with the total cost rising to a staggering £48m. Two other Porto players - Ricardo Carvalho and Maniche - are interested in coming to Stamford Bridge but are unlikely to be signed.

Mourinho, who will arrive with his backroom staff, including assistant and fitness coach, will however attempt to sign a sixth, Derlei, his favourite player, once the Brazilian striker has secured a Portuguese passport next year.

The 41-year-old coach is also interested in another Brazilian, Luis Fabiano, Ronaldo's international understudy, who plays for Sao Paolo and has already been approached by Barcelona. He is thought to be available for £12m. Mourinho is keen that Chelsea pursue their interest in the Marseille striker Didier Drogba too - despite the French club yesterday rejecting a bid of £17m and insisting he was not for sale. Chelsea are likely to make an improved offer of £20m.

link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

First and foremost Claudio is a complete gentleman and hes definatley worth his salt and any of the top clubs around the world would have him, I am sure Claudio would love a return to Roma, he should get out of england and not be lured in to the tottenham or liverpool jobs.

Claudio you will be missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

RANIERI'S CHELSEA RECORD
    2000-01: 6th
    2001-02: 6th, FA Cup r-up
    2002-03: 4th
    2003-04: 2nd

Thats not a bad record tbh ......sad to see him go hope he gets another job in england

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

He could always return to Valencia. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I'm not shocked to hear he is gone but he did a good job at Chelsea. he did have a very good record. i would like him to stay in english fooball because he post-match talks a legend. but i wish him all the best where ever he goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

IMO

Chelsea's biggest mistake!!

They will regret making this decision, he is a great manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Did well i think at Chelsea last season was his best getting 4th with a free team nearly.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Originally posted by irish1
    IMO

Chelsea's biggest mistake!!

They will regret making this decision, he is a great manager.

Raneri didn't deserve this but the biggest mistake Chelski made was buying too many players, many of whom they had no need for or were not of a quality above that already at stamford bridge instead of building a class team built on 16 or 17 key players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Originally posted by Bannor
    He could always return to Valencia. ;)

nice :)

i thought he'd go for the spurs job as earlier in the season he was supposed to have pleaded to other london clubs to come and get him, with spurs needing a manager it makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Personally I think he'll be able to do a better job elsewhere. Unfortunately he was too much of a gentleman to survive long under Abromovic. He was being pushed round and all he ever returned was a big grin. A true gentleman but in another team he will be able to get back to what he does best; buying his own players and managing his own team.

Mourinho seems like enough of a b*ll*x to actually thrive under the current Chelsea climate. I hope he does well for us. (Not sure about all these Porto guys though - Deco is good and all but for god sake hang onto Lampard first!)

And I hope Claudio finds a team that suits him. It's so rare to find a guy that everyone just has to like. Good Luck Ranieri!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

He must be a shoe-in for the Tottenham job now and this Spurs supporter would be delighted with him. Would give him my vote ahead of MON as I believe he organises his defences better. The only fly in the ointment would be Gronkjaer arriving ;) or on a more serious note, his awful record versus the Gooners, the UCL game at Bribury excepted.

Expect a Spurs news conference on Friday :p
    jolly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

Originally posted by jolly
    He must be a shoe-in for the Tottenham job now and this Spurs supporter would be delighted with him. Would give him my vote ahead of MON as I believe he organises his defences better. The only fly in the ointment would be Gronkjaer arriving ;) or on a more serious note, his awful record versus the Gooners, the UCL game at Bribury excepted.

Expect a Spurs news conference on Friday :p
    jolly

i agree with ya, would prefer him to oneill especially with the set up now at spurs, i think oneilll would find it difficult to work alongside a sporting director.

i think its now between raneiri, jol and trapatoni. if there isn't an announcemnet before euro 2004 i think it will be trapatoni.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    I cried :(
    ]

wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

The latest news on Ranieri as per the London Independent this evening for tomorrow's paper.

Spurs and Valencia interested in Ranieri
    By Alan Nixon
    02 June 2004

Claudio Ranieri is unlikely to be short of job offers following his drawn-out dismissal as the manager of Chelsea which was finally made official on Monday.

As Jose Mourinho prepares to move into Stamford Bridge, Ranieri can take his time to weigh up his options. A return to his former club, Valencia, is a possibility after Rafael Benitez's decision to leave the Spanish champions yesterday.

Valencia's leading shareholder, Francisco Roig, has called for the board's resignation following Benitez's decision to quit, and claimed he had lined up Ranieri as a replacement.

Ranieri helped to transform Valencia into the force they are today during his first spell at the Mestalla. Now, with one of the best teams in Europe, they would be hard to turn down.

Yet on leaving Chelsea, Ranieri indicated that he would like to stay in England. Liverpool is the most attractive vacancy but Benitez appears to be in line for the job, so Tottenham would be the most likely option. However, there is some dispute as to whether Ranieri would be entitled to his £6m compensation should he take another job in London - a move that is against the Chelsea board's wishes.

The challenge of restoring some pride to Tottenham is one that Ranieri could fancy. Before handling Chelsea's big-money stars, Ranieri worked wonders with lower-profile squads at Valencia, Fiorentina and Cagliari. It is perhaps the area in which he excels.

However, Tottenham, mindful that they may not lure Ranieri, have made a surprise approach to Jacques Santini, who will lead France against England in Euro 2004.

Advertisement