Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked to design a website!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

So what your saying, is...

Nixers are fine but you'll be working for tight fisted companies from whom probably won't pay you. You probably do shoddy work anyway.

There no point in doing work for experience, or to add skills to your CV. Working in McDonalds for slightly more money is a better career move.

If you're on a low salary you don't pay tax.

You can read minds and and guess I don't pay tax.

You reckon its mad not to charge 1000+ for a 7 pages of HTML and JS which is probably about a days work. So you get paid at least 5k a week and 20k a month, 240K a year for doing html and Js.

...well it doesn't seem to making you happy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Nixers are fine but you'll be working for tight fisted companies from whom probably won't pay you. You probably do shoddy work anyway.
    ‘Tight fisted’ companies will be more likely to employ your services as they are more interested in getting something done cheaply than going with someone who can demonstrate experience and probably ongoing support. They’re not looking for quality, just cheap and nasty.
    There no point in doing work for experience, or to add skills to your CV.
    Of course there is, but adding skills to your CV does not pay the rent.
    Working in McDonalds for slightly more money is a better career move.
    If you can’t legally support yourself in a career, it’s time to move on.
    If you're on a low salary you don't pay tax.
    If you’re self employed freelancer and on a low salary, it’s probably unlikely.
    You can read minds and and guess I don't pay tax.
    I can’t read your mind, but I can do the maths. And if you’re allegedly making a living out as a free agent in this industry, then you’re going to find it very difficult to do so on a €200 per day rate, unless you cut a few corners, and income tax is probably going to be the first one.

I note you’ve never actually denied the accusation, BTW.
    You reckon its mad not to charge 1000+ for a 7 pages of HTML and JS which is probably about a days work. So you get paid at least 5k a week and 20k a month, 240K a year for doing html and Js.
    You don’t make at least 5k a week and 20k a month, 240K a year for doing anything. Nobody pays me to pitch to them, nobody pays me for the time I spend fixing the network in my office when it goes down, no one is paying for my time when I calculate the VAT payments. Neither is my Internet connection free, or the electricity bowering this PC but I still have to find the money somewhere.

Are you suggesting that I or frankly anyone else here does 240 different Web sites per year?

Or that if you include pre-sales, sales, scoping, client meetings, debugging, invoicing and credit control that you have done everything in one man-day?
    ...well it doesn't seem to making you happy...
    Being pontificated to by clueless bottom feeders is the thing that doesn’t make me happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Lighten up guys please!

And then you lot complain about web hosts!! Pfft!!

Originally posted by blacknight
    Lighten up guys please!

And then you lot complain about web hosts!! Pfft!!

Hee hee.

Tis funny alright. Someone asks about pricing a 7 page website, Corinthian wants to build a corporation around it, makes wild guess'es about what other posters do, what they get paid and if they pay tax. I might even agree with him on one or two points, but I reckon we can get him to wear out his quote button eventually.

makes wild guess'es about what other posters do, what they get paid and if they pay tax.
    Doesn't take much of a guess if all you charge is € 100 - € 200 a day.

You've still not denied my accusation, BTW.

• Advertisement

Quote where I say what "I" charge, or what I do for that matter.

Deny what specifically. You make so many accusations.

Quote where I say what "I" charge, or what I do for that matter.
    You advised someone else to charge that rate, so it's not an unreasonable assumption.
    Deny what specifically. You make so many accusations.
    I've only made one - Do you pay tax on your income?

Thats a realistic rate for an amateur. For 7 basic web pages.

No it isn't. But yes I do. Would like to ask my accountant? Of course if I didn't would I post that on a forum. Unlikely. So its a facile question.

No it isn't. But yes I do. Would like to ask my accountant?
    Sure. PM me the details and I'll ask directly - of course I am assuming it's not you though...
    Of course if I didn't would I post that on a forum. Unlikely. So its a facile question.
    Sure you would if you were bluffing.

Advertisement