Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crumlin NTL broadband Service?

• 31-05-2004 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

Anyone out there with the service care to tell me where exactly it is.

Dont want you house address but a road name would be appreciated.

Im on Clogher Road and was told today that the service is not available but might become available in the next 2 months if I was beside somewhere that was rolled out.

When I asked what areas where rolled out I was told, "limited sections of Dublin 12" well you can imagine my puzzled look to this revelation.

So where in Crumlin is good to go?

Emmo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wookie

Cashel Avenue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

friend of mine has it. she's about 5 minutes from the hospital....dunno the exact road name...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Originally posted by Emmo
    but might become available in the next 2 months

They've been telling me that about Terenure village for over 2 1/2 years now, so take that 2 months line with a bag of salt.

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Its about the saltiest statment I have ever tasted.

In all fairness all I want is god damn internet in my appartment.

Cant have wirless BB cause we aint allowed have external dishes up, cant have Eircom casue they say I owe them money (which I do but I dont owe them as much as they say)

Emmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

emmo: get in contact with irish broadband and ask em about Ripwave. Its just a little box that sits in your room, and provides broadband wirelessly, you migth be able to get it.

• Advertisement

Yeah I got in contact with them about the Ripwave thing.

Whats it actually like in the field.

Contention of 40:1
    €120 Installation
    €30 a month

instead of

20:1
    €65 installation
    €40 a month

I like the idea of no drilling and wires, is 512k quick enough?

Emmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I have it on Derry Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

I like the idea of no drilling and wires, is 512k quick enough?
    It would be, if you got 512k.

(The latency is also very high, which doesn't make any difference for browsing, e-mail and streaming, but does affect VoIP and in-game pings).

What do you mean if I got 512k.

What kinda pings would I be getting? I like a bit of online gaming and generally find that anything over 120 is too much.

Emmo

What do you mean if I got 512k.
    I haven't been able to get anything close to 512k for months now, but I'm on the edge of the stated range for Ripwave.
    What kinda pings would I be getting? I like a bit of online gaming and generally find that anything over 120 is too much.
    100ms to machines on IBBs own network is what I typically experience. I'm going to get onto them soon about when they're going to upgrad me to 3.5GHz - when I last talked to them a few weeks ago, they wouldn't give me any specific dates, but with UTV broadband now effectively €22/month (15 months for €30x11) they're going to have to get off their arses if they expect to sell RipWave on a large enough scale to make a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    I have it on Derry Road.

After hearing a few months ago about his nibs getting it, I rang NTL and biddie #34644 not only told me my area (Rutland Avenue) couldnt get it but that no one outside of Tallaght could get it?

I dont think NTL themselves know which area's can or cannot get it :(

all right.

So now we know that Crumlin is being obvioulsy devided into the nice upper parts near Kimmage and Walkinstown and us poor SOB's near the canal.

Hey Ripwave, should I get ripwave? Where is the stated area and how do I get more info cause even though they said they would ring me back about a sale. They didnt!

Can I still get BB via a phone line if I dont go with Eirconartists or do I have to go to them to get a phone line and get my BB of someone else?

Emmo

Hey Ripwave, should I get ripwave? Where is the stated area and how do I get more info
    As far as I know, at this point Ripwave is still only available from 3 Rock (they told me they will be rolling it out to 13 sites in Dublin, but I don't knwo when). The coverage would be similiar to the 3 Rock map on their website
    Can I still get BB via a phone line if I dont go with Eirconartists or do I have to go to them to get a phone line and get my BB of someone else?
    You can't get DSL unless you have a phone line from eircom (€24.18 per month). But once you have the phoneline, you can get DSL from any of the providers 9they are all just reselling eircoms underlying package anyway).

(ESAT do offer DSL from the Dolphins Barn Exchange that might allow you to get a "unbundled" line, with no voice service. But it'll cost more than the €40/month that the resold eircom servers goes for).

Yeah as I metioned before I have a disagreement with Eircom bascially they say I owe them about €400 more than I actually do!

I used to work in a billing department with a telecoms op and I saw the exact same problems on their bills going to me as we used to stop going to our customers.

I didnt pay, they didnt listen, their supervisors didnt understand and their tech support never called so I was disconnected.

I dont know if I can go back to them so its wireless (from 3 Rock site I think Im going to be at the very edge of their service zone. maybe.

Thanks for all the info.

Who would you go with by the way if you had free choice? And if you where in my shoes?

Emmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Emmo have you moved house/flat since the bill issue with Eircom? If you have they will take you to be a new customer, just dont mention the old bill issue :)

I dont know if I can go back to them so its wireless (from 3 Rock site I think Im going to be at the very edge of their service zone. maybe.
    You're way outside the range of 3 rock, if you're in Crumlin.

Purely from the point of view of which technology I'd prefer, I'd go with DSL, then cable, then Wireless. But with DSL eircom makes more money on the basic service that whichever reseller you get it from, which annoys me. Cable is either not available, or not cheap (I'd rather a 512k connection for €30 than a 1MB connection for €50, thanks). And wireless requires an aerial, unless you've got RipWave, which doesn't seem to be living up to it's promises.

Thanks guy,

You seem to be well up on your stuff, thanks for the info.

Think I might persuade the girl friend to get the phone line in her name and then I will pay for the DSL / BB.

So who to go with, ESAT or UTV (deffo not going with Eircon even if they paid me, I hate them)

Emmo

Hey all,

Just thought I would update you.

All of Crumlin is provisioned except for closed apartment blocks like mine.

So houses are done, flats and apartments or stuff like that will have to whistle.

Girlfirend rang up today and she got the standard 2 weeks line, and when she said she lived in the apartment block she was told, that yes those apratments are not provisoned yet because the of something.

The cable is outside the bloody door or the place but they havent got permission from the managemnet company to bring it inside.

Arghhhhhhh

Emmo

Wow this is the time to live in Crumlin, next thing you know we will even get a decent 121 bus service!

I was just rang by Mark at Irish Broad Band who said that he was delighted to hear of my interest in Ripwave in Crumlin.

He said that they are currently in the process or rolling out their new service, the 3.5mhz systems, accross the city and that the Digital hub / Guinness mast would be upgraded at the end of June and would I still be interested in the product.

Emmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Except he forgot ta tell ya the the 3.5Ghz service they roll out in June will not be Ripwave, it will be a Fixed System ....probably Alvarion.

M

• Advertisement

No he deffo said that it will be a Ripwave product Muck.

Is this Earth Shattering news?

I asked will it still be just a little box modem and he said yes.

Then I asked will it still be only €30 p/m and he said yes.

He said so long as I am within 7km of the Guiness Site I can have the "new" Ripwave service by the end of June.

Did he just lie to me to get me off the phone? He took all my details and said he would ring back to confirm when they had launched.

Emmo

No he deffo said that it will be a Ripwave product Muck.

Is this Earth Shattering news?
    Nope - IBB have always said that Ripwave will be upgraded to 3.5GHz - Muck just doesn't believe anything they say :)

(Of course, it'd be nice if they bothered to contact their existing Ripwave customers and tell them when they'll be upgraded!)

Advertisement