Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Select The England Team!

• 31-05-2004 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

I dunno if there are any other sites out there for other national sides but the BBC have nifty feature here which allows you to select the formation and players.

Here's mine for whats its worth.

england.jpg

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Not bad but I'd have Hargreaves/Scholes instead of Dyer and Rooney in for Heskey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Cant wait for Euro 2004!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

IMO the england team to start euro 04 <view attach>

you can pick your ireland team here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Interesting....no not your selection! The fact you can save the url to the selection.

Eriksson seems to be hell-bent on a diamond formation
    which sounds to me like Gerrard on the left. What a waste, he'll never stay out there and that'll leave the left back exposed.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

That's ok, both Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge are excellent defenders.

Oh, wait a second!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    That's ok, both Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge are excellent defenders.

Oh, wait a second!
    ... in your sarcasm you forgot that they formed one fifth of the two best defences in the premiership?

Can't really decide who to put on the left, opted for Hargreaves due to experience.

The Ireland one is crap, theres only 5 defenders in the list and two of them are harte and Doherty!!!

And no Roy Keane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

engerlandxi.jpg

Originally posted by Stekelly
    The Ireland one is crap, theres only 5 defenders in the list and two of them are harte and Doherty!!!

And no Roy Keane
    It only contains players in the squad for the Poland match.

• Advertisement

jesus thats a very small squad he has with him, **** all defenders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Heres mine

Originally posted by Stekelly
    jesus thats a very small squad he has with him, **** all defenders
    Injuries, important club games, players who couldn't be bothered flying to Poland, etc.:) the match is over BTW.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Can't really decide who to put on the left, opted for Hargreaves due to experience.

Had the same as kaids, just had bridge down left instead of hargreaves....might be a bit too defensive tho....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,313 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Looking at this BBC tool it becomes apparent how limited the English team is.
    They had absolutely no cover in defence or in the attack and have no left sided midfielder.
    Apart from Owen they have no decent goalscorer.
    They will play their usual defensive formation .

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyduff

Isn't it amazing how we presently have 5 or 6 attacking left footed players (let me think.... Duff, A.Reid, Kilbane, McPhail, Kennedy, Doyle... ) well capable of doing a job... and they can only cough up Alan Thompson as a naturally left sided player!!? And he doesn't even make it to the Euro's!!

Have they had any gifted left sided players since 1990? In my lifetime... I can only remember Barnes and Waddle as great left sided players... We've a population of what?? 5 million? they have 60+ million!!?!

It's always one that had baffled me to be honest!

Originally posted by kaids

You'l see in my team I put Vassell there, I think he has more to offer in that area, doing a Duffer role, i.e. running at players and cutting inside.

I think he has the ability to do that, but I dont think he is natural finisher that will get a huge number of goals if put up front.

Originally posted by irish1
    You'l see in my team I put Vassell there, I think he has more to offer in that area, doing a Duffer role, i.e. running at players and cutting inside.

I think he has the ability to do that, but I dont think he is natural finisher that will get a huge number of goals if put up front.
    Yeah i noticed that. It's pretty ridiculous that Sven still hasn't settled on a left sided midfielder after all these years. It's a difficult choice to make but if he had just taken the plunge two years ago and decided on a player (and a backup) they'd have some consistency by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

My team!! picked the worse possible!! make sure they lose because if they win we will have to hear about it till the year 3020 like the way they go on about 1966!!!

Question: How many times will 66 be mentioned during the england games?

Answer: No possible way to measure this......infinity is probably the closest number available

Originally posted by neilbrady79
    My team!! picked the worse possible!! make sure they lose because if they win we will have to hear about it till the year 3020 like the way they go on about 1966!!!

Answer: No possible way to measure this......infinity is probably the closest number available

In fairness though , if we won it we'd never stop going on bout it either, ffs during Euro88 the crowd was using the Eurovision wins to slag the english. Thats what happens when a team outside the top tier of teams in the world wins a world cup or euro champ, they go on bout it, as would we. Itd b like Villa (no offence) winning the league

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Originally posted by neilbrady79

About as many times as the Euro 88 win against England is mentioned here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

heres mine ... dunno about the diamond though ..

Well Sven has said he will probably play a man in front of the back 2 in the hole, to keep Zidane at bay.

I wouldn't put Dyer in do, don't think he is up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I can't see him starting Rooney against France. I reckon it'll be a 5 man midfield, which will alllow both Scholes and Lampard to start, and both will be scoring threats, with Scholes playing the furthest forward. That'll leave Rooney and Dyer as impact subs.

Sven said he would choose his first choice team (ie. the team that will face France) for tonights game against Japan. Here it is:

England: James, G Neville, A Cole, Terry, Campbell, Lampard, Beckham, Gerrard, Scholes, Owen, Rooney.

Exactly what I said.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Exactly what I said too. I must check the diamond formation he's playing, I might have that right too. Must send my c.v. off to Anfield Road, I hear there's a job gonig there. ;)

I was out by one, have to admit tho ,there was a little bit of bias on my part picking Carragher ahead of Cole, knew cole would be first choice.

Twas pretty obvious that would be Sven's team, doesn't mean it'll be the most effective one though!

Advertisement