Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explorer Probems - Any help?

Options
  • 31-05-2004 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

PLEASE do not tell me all the good reasons to ditch Explorer and go with mozilla et al.

I cannot access certain sites which I was always able to until this weekend - -I can from work and a friend can access from his Pc - although he is on a different ISP.

I have recently removed perfectnav and Google toolbar - dont know if connected.

I simply get a website not found error. If I ping it it cannot be found - but the site is definitely there.

A bit frustarting - I went into windows setup (XP) and removed and re-installed Explorer - I have also patched it to latest version as is reat of windows.

Any clues on way forward?

Thks
    Buzz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by Buzz_Irl
    I went into windows setup (XP) and removed and re-installed Explorer
    All that does is hide/reshow any and all shortcuts to IE, it doesn't remove IE program files.

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Buzz_Irl

Thks - I also de-installed MSN and re-installed it but still same prob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I'm currently reinstalling XP on a PC for someone because of the exact same problem.

Is the problem with accessing https: sites using SSL? AFAIK MS released an update to IE6 at one stage which fecked up the ability to access secure sites. You could try this update:

ms security update

I've tried everything on this PC, and the reinstall is the last resort. Unfortunately, a lot of SP updates had been installed for IE and whoever installed them declined to take backup files, so there's very little that could be done with it, but you might be luckier.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Did you install any new software last weekend?

Who is your ISP?

Are you up to date with your anti-virus software? Have you tried running adaware or any other malware detectors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Buzz_Irl

Finally clicked - System Restore did a 1st rate job - problem solved !!

Thks for the ideas

Buzz

• Advertisement
Advertisement