Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The best way to decide who goes up and comes down

• 31-05-2004 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Crystal Palace have got to the Promised Land dispite finnishing the First division in 6th place 6 points behind third place Sunderland. This hardly seems like justice.

Would'nt it be better to have a straightfoward two-legged promotion/relegation play-off? Which this year would have been Sunderland against Leciester.

Mike.

Should the promotion system be changed? 5 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

I love the play offs and it keeps the season going right up to the last match for a lots of teams fighting for a play-off place and the atmosphere at the finals is a bit special.

There were more people at the 1st Division final than at the FA Cup final.

I'd definitely keep them the way they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nah, the less of Leicester we see the better tbh. I think it works fine, keeps the league interesting rioght to the end. The last day games would have been irrelevant without the play-offs. That thread on the last day with the minute by minute commentary was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by mike65
    Crystal Palace have got to the Promised Land dispite finnishing the First division in 6th place 6 points behind third place Sunderland. This hardly seems like justice.

Would be unfair if the other team didnt know about it ,but they do and sunderland knew that they were never gonna get 2nd the play offs would decide their fate.

I think play offs are fair but usually one team just maks it in whilst on form the others have slacked off a bit and come crunch time cant turn it back on. Hence the late form team usually gets in.

kdjac

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

How about having the third placed division 1 team play off against the third bottom premiership team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by kaids
    How about having the third placed division 1 team play off against the third bottom premiership team?
    Isn't that what Mike just said.:)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

misread. arf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It might be slightly cruel for the team that finishes third if they miss out on promotion but I think it really livens up the league. It gives another three teams the possible chance to go up and the number of teams who could possibly sneak into sixth makes for a very tense league.

As for relegations, I like it the way it is. The worst three teams in the league go down. No second chances, no messing around. They either get out of the bottom three or go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

The players are a bit cruel but they're exciting. Keep it going and add a bit of something extra to the end of the season.

You won't hear any Palace fans criticising the system :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I think the playoffs are great and are fair.

But I would replace the Div 1 sixth team with the 3rd bottom team from the Premier division for the semi finals.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think the idea od playoffs for promotion are great and keep the season going right to the end - there can be no rest even for mid table teams who might just make a playoff spot with a late run.

However, to make it fair shouldn't there be a relegation playoff as well. For example, the bottom 2 of the Premiership get relegated automatically and then the next four play off - the losers going into the relagation final and the loser of that being relegated.

It only seems fair that if the lower division can have an outside chance of promotion then the higher division should have the same chance of staying up

Hyzepher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Holland have a realy good system for first Division teams going up and premier teams going down . Any1 who has played Championship manager will know .

First of all the 2 teams that finnish bottom of the prem league get relagated , the third bottom team gets into the play-offs .

The play-offs consist of 2 group leagues with 4 in each

the 1st Division has stages , with I dont know , maybe 5 games in each stage , the winner of each stage gets into the playoffs .

Im not sure about wheater its just the winner of the league or if the winner and second place that gets automatic promotion though . But if its just first then the winners of eah playoff group get promoted , if not the winner of each group play each other .

or if u want it longer the top 2 teams from each group would play each other (1st of each group against 2nd of the other )

Advertisement