Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cant delete files

Options
  • 31-05-2004 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have some files on my desktop now for ages, they can't be deleted I selected them from some strange peer to peer site. Keeps telling me they are in use etc, the application is well removed from my pc, I have also removed it from the reg using a reg clear applic. I have used secure clear to remove delete files from the pc and there is deff no associate application running, i think it was originally bit torrent. I think i need some sort of application like delete later (delater) does anyone know when such a freebee could be downloaded??? I know that this problem sometimes happens partic over my win 2000 SB NW, but time and a reboot usually flags the files are removable. theyse file are on the desktop for ages now, they are only 1 K- i guarantee that they are not being shared with others and are left open for this reason-- they are not in use they are simply stuck on my desktop annoying me

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

You tried booting into Safe Mode to delete them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

One possible way is to delete them before Windows boots up via autoexec.bat, but if you're not comfortable with DOS it'll be difficult to run you through it.

Are you sure there isn't a progran running behind the scenes at startup locking them? Try running msconfig or some other utility to check and change what is allowed to run at Windows startup.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Thanks for the help lads,

just to let you know, I already tried safe mode , and there is def no applic using the files.
    I tried going into command prompt before to use dos to remove the files, dont know if this would work though, cant reall remember dos too well, and the file names are huge eg spellforce_patch_v105.exe and Jigsaw Puzzle Game FREE 2004 The Kids Puzzle.exe I dont hink that dos will recognise these names , I also uunderstand that I'd need an extension

eg. C:\DocumentsandSettings\user1.WORKGROUPA\Desktop\spellforce_patch_v105.exe "
    SO I'd type delete and the above or do I need the *.* stuff again?
    See this is why i was looking for a quick applicatin to remove it at start up LOL

Anyway thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Stoner
    I dont hink that dos will recognise these names , I also uunderstand that I'd need an extension

eg. C:\DocumentsandSettings\user1.WORKGROUPA\Desktop\spellforce_patch_v105.exe "
    SO I'd type delete and the above or do I need the *.* stuff again?
    See this is why i was looking for a quick applicatin to remove it at start up LOL

Anyway thanks for the help
    sorry, didn't read the entire thread.

from memory, dos automaticly shortens long filenames to the 8.3 format (8 letters and then the file extension)
    you'd have to type something like this;
    cd\docume~1\user1.~1\desktop\
    the filename for the spellforce patch would be spellf~1.exe

typing dir /w
    will give you the contents of this folder.
    so you then type "del filename.ext" to delete each individual file or del *.* to delete everything in that folder (be very cautious with that syntax!)

however, seeing as you're using windows 2000, your hard drive is prolly formatted using ntfs, so booting into a dos prompt won't be much use to you without an ntfs reader

thanks for the help i knew *>* came into it, I'm using XP pro and it is formatted as ntfs. This question will really show my ignorance, can I use the command prompt found in start/programms/accessories it looks like dos, and I understant that its not really DOS as windows XP is the OS , so maybe this command prompt thing is powerless in this case as it runs on windows XP which has locked the files up any way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

yeah, trying to delete the files from the command prompt from within xp will have the same effects as using explorer to delete them.

have you tried restarting in safe mode but logging on as the administrator, rather than User1.WorkgroupA?

if you can do that -> using windows explorer to go to c:\documents and settings\User1.WorkgroupA\Desktop and delete the files from there

hi tman, actually I am logged on as administrator, i just changed the extension to user one and the workgroup also as they explain where i work so i wanted to keep it private for some reason unknown to myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by tman
    however, seeing as you're using windows 2000, your hard drive is prolly formatted using ntfs, so booting into a dos prompt won't be much use to you without an ntfs reader

autoexec.bat still acepts dos-like commands. if the delete "path_to_files" was put there they should get nuked at next boot.

Advertisement