Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate Agents

Options
  • 31-05-2004 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

I'm passing by the local estate agents this evening and see the cars they are driving. Value of cars, 85k, 55k, 65k... All 03 or 04 models. I'm thinking to myself, these people are the ultimate blood suckers. They are on a par with recruitment consultants.

Someone needs to blow a hole in the Estate Agents market in this country and set up an agency that charges a flat fee for the sale of a house. None of this % value of property lark. It's like solicitors. Why is their fee dependant on the value of property. Does a more expensive property cause them to do more work. Does an estate agent do more work to see a 500k house sold as opposed to a house for 200k?

Surely in todays market, properties virtually sell themselves anyway. I've watched enough property programmes now to know how to sell a house.

It's all a big swizz. Apparantly the only requirement to become an Estate Agent is the payment of a bond - and that's it. Application goes into local court, pay the money and bingo, you can sell houses.

I read an interview with an Estate Agent who justified their expensive taste in cars and suits by saying "well, I wouldn't want someone driving an ordinary car to sell my house. I want to see success and professionalism"

If I saw an Estate Agent rolling up in a 04 reg car worth the guts of 3 or 4 years wages for someone, I'd tell them to fcuk off there and then and sell it myself privately.

Scum of the earth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What about advertising / marketing types?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Originally posted by Victor
    What about advertising / marketing types?

Can you try to be a little more specific there Victor?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by alleepally
    Can you try to be a little more specific there Victor?
    Them thar people who make their money by convincing small children they "need" their product, resulting in much anguish.

Originally posted by Victor
    Them thar people who make their money by convincing small children they "need" their product, resulting in much anguish.

quite.

not quite what this thread is about though, is it or maybe you'd like to say what is on your mind in a bit more detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Someone needs to blow a hole in the Estate Agents market in this country and set up an agency that charges a flat fee for the sale of a house. None of this % value of property lark.
    So what you waiting for alleepally - Off you go and set it up & make a killing yourself...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Specky

Q. Why don't estate agents look out of the window in the morning?
    A. Because if they did they'd have nothing to do in the afternoon

So they make lots of money and they don't have to work all that much for it. If you envy them why not become one, then you can envy someone else.

You think they should be paid less? Well go tell that to all the people who utilise their services and persuade them to sell privately instead....while you're at it you might get them to do their own conveyencing, represent themselves in court, extract their own teeth and do their own eye tests. That'd show 'em

Originally posted by RainyDay
    So what you waiting for alleepally - Off you go and set it up & make a killing yourself...

Y'know what maybe I will!

Originally posted by Specky
    Q. Why don't estate agents look out of the window in the morning?
    A. Because if they did they'd have nothing to do in the afternoon

So they make lots of money and they don't have to work all that much for it. If you envy them why not become one, then you can envy someone else.

You think they should be paid less? Well go tell that to all the people who utilise their services and persuade them to sell privately instead....while you're at it you might get them to do their own conveyencing, represent themselves in court, extract their own teeth and do their own eye tests. That'd show 'em

I don't envy them Specky.What irks me greatly is the parasitical nature of their business.. Nothing more nothing less. The vast majority of people wouldn't exactly feature Estate Agents on their "most admired" list of professions now would they, so I'm hardly alone in my thinking.

If I'm not mistaken there was a solictors practice featured in the news a while back where they had a flat fee for house sales. This got me thinking when I passed the estate agents door the other evening, why the hell do the work on a percentage. It's a load of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brendor

The reason that estate agents work on a percentage is obvious - it is to encourage them to get the highest possible selling price for a property. The higher the price, the higher their commission will be.

I am not an estate agent, but try to look past the new cars and armani underpants they probably wear and the chip on your shoulder and find the TRUTH

What irks me greatly is the parasitical nature of their business.. Nothing more nothing less.
    Everyong thinks they are parasites, until of course, they want to sell their own house and they need a quick direct channel to attract buyers. Then they need: an estate agent.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by brendor
    The reason that estate agents work on a percentage is obvious - it is to encourage them to get the highest possible selling price for a property. The higher the price, the higher their commission will be.

I am not an estate agent, but try to look past the new cars and armani underpants they probably wear and the chip on your shoulder and find the TRUTH

That's fine brendor, the status quo should not be challenged then or commented upon without the person challenging or commenting being labelled as having a "chip on the shoulder".

Read again.. Did I say I have a problem with anyone driving a nice car? No. I happen to drive a 50k car myself - WOOHOOO for me.

What I have a serious problem with is out and out greed. I believe in paying someone for the amount of effort and time expended in providing goods or service. You may have heard of rip off Ireland, well I can't think of any better example of this than Estate Agents. If you believe my view is a "chip on my shoulder" then I won't disagree.

Originally posted by RainyDay
    Everyong thinks they are parasites, until of course, they want to sell their own house and they need a quick direct channel to attract buyers. Then they need: an estate agent.

I reckon you might be right there RainyDay but if somone (and it might be me :-) ) offers a flat fee service, I'd definitely go for that.

I believe in paying someone for the amount of effort and time expended in providing goods or service. You may have heard of rip off Ireland, well I can't think of any better example of this than Estate Agents.
    No-one is under any obligation to use an estate agent. If you don't think they offer value for money, don't use them.

Side note: I spotted one estate agents sign in a garden which noted their commission rate as 0.75%, so it looks like a bit of competition is kicking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

The majority of Estate agents work on a NO SALE NO FEE basis, a property could be on the market for 6 months and no buyer or interest in the property (Due to the client looking for too much). The auctioneer or estate agents gets nothing for all his time and expertise showing the property and organising brochures, dealing with queries and all matters involved with selling the property.

When in buyont times it makes property selling easyier but like most professions Eastate Agents are faced with competion and in recent years increased competion. Most good estate agents should be conversed in Valuations, Property Law, Property Economics,Marketing and of course professional practice.

"I read an interview with an Estate Agent who justified their expensive taste in cars and suits by saying "well, I wouldn't want someone driving an ordinary car to sell my house. I want to see success and professionalism"

Well image is everthing and being professional is very important.

Advertisement