Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morrissey - The Album Archive Saturday 05/06/04

Options
  • 31-05-2004 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Viva Hate - Morrissey

Viva Hate is by no means Morrissey's finest solo album; but it was his first, released a mere six months after the Smiths final album Strangeways Here We Come. It also provided him with possibly the two best singles of his solo career, Suedehead and Everyday Is Like Sunday. With the be-coiffed wonder due to play Dublin this Saturday, The Album Archive revisits Viva Hate. You'll hear live version and album versions of the LPs trakcs, as well as some b-sides. We'll also run through the genesis, recording and release of the record. So listen in to Phantom this Saturday at 6 for Maximum Moz.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

I disagree,I think it is his finest solo album.

Everyday is like sunday and suedehead are classics,while late night mauldin st is an epic with haunting music and lyrics to boot.the ordinary boys is a great tune which has since spawned a band name.I dont mind if you forget me is a two finger salute to the ones who have departed while margaret on the gullitone is a fitting finish,wishing for the day thatcher will eventually die.i`ll drink to that.

Vauxhall and I is a close second but overall viva is the better album.For the record here`s my morrissey solo studio albums in order of choice:

1 Viva hate
    2Vauxhall and I
    3You are the quarry
    4 your arsenal
    5malajusted
    6kill uncle
    7southpaw grammar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

You are the quarry only coming in at number 3? was it a close thing. Personally I think The world is full of crashing bores is one of his best solo songs to date and is up there with Everyday is like sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

i think his new album is unlistenable due the horrible overall sound and awful rock/metal guitar. the band seem to have no original ideas and only serve to take away from what morrissey adds by way of his still great voice and lyrics. its an album full of crashing bores.

Break up the family is one of my favourites. vauxhall and i is my fav.

kill uncle is underrated.

did anyone go the gig last night? very sad i missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

Yeah, the gig last night was excellent. I hear 2fm replayed it about an hour ago, I was listening to phantom (of course ;) ) so I missed it. If I had known it was going to be on 2fm live tonight I would have taped it.

Although, the gig was great and all, the ambassador show from a couple of years ago was better, performance wise and it had a better setlist. Dublin Castle was a great place for the gig, it was in the garden in front of the chester beaty library (usually the heineken green energy gigs are in the courtyard) and it had a really relaxed summer evening type atmosphere. Perfect place for a morrisey gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

all right,seemed a far better place than the courtyard to me.all thanks to the eu presidency nonsence........:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

great gig, i was impressed with the venue too, one of the better outdoor gigs i have been to. That 2FM transmission was edited apparently and missing some songs, so you're probably better off to try to pick up a bootleg of the show anyway. My night was made by There is a light that never goes out......

Advertisement