Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sci-Fi English ISU

Options
  • 31-05-2004 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello, my name is James, and although this is my first post, I have an important question. These boards have lots of information, and I am doing my English ISU on Science fiction, the genre, movies, books, etc... and I was wonding if anyone had any insight into sci-fi, some in-depth stuff. Maybe a website link, cause I haven't been able to find anything on Sci-fi as a genre. thanks for any responses!

James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Read "A Requiem for Homo Sapiens" by David Zindell. Thats all the insight you'll need.

Are you seriously doing research / exam on SF and never read any?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by hostyle
    Read "A Requiem for Homo Sapiens" by David Zindell. Thats all the insight you'll need.
    Woot! Someone else has read this and, I assume, Neverness! An amazingly insightful and philosophical piece of science fiction. I'll always remember Danlo wiSoli Ringess.
    Have you checked out his new Ea Cycle books? I was a bit disappointed with the first one, thought it rethreaded Danlo's pacifism too much, his "ahimsa" views. Still I've bought the second one regardless...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 camcorderman

Originally posted by hostyle

Are you seriously doing research / exam on SF and never read any?

Are you joking??? I LOVE SCI-FI!! I already have alot of information from what I've read in my two novels for the ISU, plus the 20 others I own. I just finished reading Robert J Sawyers Nenderthal Paradox (Hominids, Humans and Hybirds) and it was excellent. I was just looking for an additional information about Sci-fi in general, more in depth stuff....unfortunatly I don't have time to read an entire novel but thanks for the ideas anyway...

Thanks

James

Originally posted by ixoy
    Have you checked out his new Ea Cycle books? I was a bit disappointed with the first one, thought it rethreaded Danlo's pacifism too much, his "ahimsa" views. Still I've bought the second one regardless...

Me too. Bought the second one as soon as it came out. Havent got around to reading it yet though.

To get back on topic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction

Thank you hostyle! That is of great help!!! This is EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!!! I'll let you know how my seminar goes...

Thanks again!

James

• Advertisement

Go on then. How'd the seminar go?

It went very well...I opened with clips from my favourite shows and movies, all playing to Startrek First Contact Theme Music, Star Trek, Star Wars, X-files, the Matrix, etc... it was about 6 min, everyone liked it....espically the battle scenes that I put in. I went on describing Sci-fi, how many people see a movie and don't realize it has a science-fiction edge to it, like LOTR or Jurassic Park. Sci-fi cannot be on it's own as a genre. It must be combined with something, usually fantasy or action. I went on to describe common themes, arctypes, techniques, alot of info coming from that website you showed me. I went to descibe how sci-fi deals with real world issues in a futureistic way, like religion, or racism. The Original Star Trek casting Nichelle Nichols as a senior officer back in the mid-60's really broke alot of barriers, stuff like that. I had a few clips from movies and TV's shows, like Alien, Matrix, Star Trek, Star Wars, etc... showing all aspects of sci-fi, alos talking about the amazing special effects in those movies (The day after tomorrow, Star Trek, The Matrix Trilogy, Star Wars, Jurassic Park Trilogy, Alien Quadrilogy, LOTR) Overall, everyone liked it, and because I dug deep into the genre of sci-fi, my teacher likes to over-analyize, which is what I did do somewhat, so I recieved a great mark, 87%. That really boosted my english mark up, and pushed me passed 80% before exams, so hopefully, as I'm done school for the summer (well, done high school that is, now on to University) I'll keep my 80%, which is what I was hoping for. Thanks again!

James

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Excellent! well done :)

Thank-you very much, it was fun to do!

James

Advertisement