Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Ideas...???

Options
  • 31-05-2004 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

Might be upgrading my system(see sig)... Maybe

I could go for an basic athlon 64 r a p4 2.8-3ghz. I find my system at present does the job pretty well.. I figure theres no point in going up the scale in the Athlon XP range cause its running at a 3200 anyways.

If it was a choice of a 64 or p4 what would u choose... Taking in the fact that 64 is only starting and boards n pins r gonna change soon and its still only fresh off the shelves...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

The 64's have been around for 6-7 months. The current A64 socket 754 would probably stay another year or so. You can always go for the socket 939. I have the A64 and I am really pleased that I decided to go down the A64 route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by neokenzo
    I have the A64 and I am really pleased that I decided to go down the A64 route.

Out of interest what were you using before?

Why are you so happy it about (seriously)? What advantages are you getting? I guess it all boils down to the question "are you a serious gamer"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Originally posted by hostyle
    Out of interest what were you using before?

Why are you so happy it about (seriously)? What advantages are you getting? I guess it all boils down to the question "are you a serious gamer"?

Well I guess I am happy because it does whatever I bought it for. Its fast, plays games well and encode avi's quite fast. I have no complaints.
    I had a P3 before but also my friend has a P4 2.8. I'm not saying that they are no good but I still would prefer my A64.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I've got a P4 2.8 and an athlon 2800+, and i still prefer the athlon. I have my reasons though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Explosive_Cornflake
    I've got a P4 2.8 and an athlon 2800+, and i still prefer the athlon. I have my reasons though.

:eek: Spill them out m8 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I'm thinkin a P4 2.8/3Ghz seems to be the one to go for... Easy to overclock, In the Custom PC benchmarks on there CPU shootout its faster than the (basic)AMD 64 in nearly everything.

Mind u when I really think about it I've no real need to change my pc. I got an offer from someone to buy it that got me thinkin of an upgrade but it does the job damn well. But then again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Originally posted by unkel
    :eek: Spill them out m8 :)

Well, i built the athlon myself, and i bought the pentium, so thats problem one. Most of my quibbels aren't with the processor, just the mobo. The the computers are completely different, so its not really fair for me to comment. I've much RAM, better than i need actually in the athlon, and the pentium has **** ram. Why i don'y i swap them you say? ****ty mobo in the P4. Yeah, not a fair comparison as i said, but for the price difference .....
    I'm ranting now.
    Anyway, what would a simple enough P4 board set me back?

Advertisement