Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grooming

Options
  • 31-05-2004 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

We have a 15week old miniature yorshire terrier and every time we try to brush her hind legs she gets really vicious and bits a LOT . The only way we can stop her is to hold her by the neck. She only weighs less then 3pounds..you would think she is easy to handel but shes not nice to brush at all...

Any solutions or ideas??

*~Aimee~*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

My cats don't like being brushed on the inside of their hindlegs cos it's near their girly bits, maybe your pup's the same. Consider getting her fur clipped, there's far less grooming involved then and it looks like we've a lovely hot summer ahead of us so it'll help keep her cool. (I know unclipped Yorkies are beautiful but fleas are most rampant in the summer...imagine trying to treat her for them with a really long coat).

Either way some strong use of the word "NO!!!" should help if she gets vicious. Might be an idea to get her a muzzle for grooming time aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

Originally posted by Aimee_gleeson
    We have a 15week old miniature yorshire terrier and every time we try to brush her hind legs she gets really vicious and bits a LOT . The only way we can stop her is to hold her by the neck. She only weighs less then 3pounds..you would think she is easy to handel but shes not nice to brush at all...

Any solutions or ideas??

*~Aimee~*

I've always had Yorkie's - they can be a little hand shy - you will need to stand here on the talk - preferrably a high one so that you have more power & try using a paddle brush.. It all takes practise but you're doing the right thing starting so young ... but if she's a handle full now... imagine what she's going to be like when you start training her topknot!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Aimee_gleeson

Thanks.

It could be because of her "bits". Her fur isnt long yet as she is so young but its knotty due to the puppy fur i guess. We have brushed her since we got her at 4 1/2 weeks but she seems to be getting worse. We are very gentle with her cause we know if we are rough she'll hate it for the rest of her life...The stern word of "NO" goes in one ear and out the other. Another thing about her is shes a very quick learner and picks up on EVERYTHING we do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

Originally posted by Aimee_gleeson
    Thanks.

It could be because of her "bits". Her fur isnt long yet as she is so young but its knotty due to the puppy fur i guess. We have brushed her since we got her at 4 1/2 weeks but she seems to be getting worse. We are very gentle with her cause we know if we are rough she'll hate it for the rest of her life...The stern word of "NO" goes in one ear and out the other. Another thing about her is shes a very quick learner and picks up on EVERYTHING we do.

Yeah - they are a great breed - they are so clever... my little guy would nearly talk to you....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Aimee_gleeson

Originally posted by ravenhead
    they are so clever

Yes i agree with you there she is now 18weeks old and can sit and give the paw after just one day teaching her.They are really intelligent.She also chases a tennis ball and retrieves it, only dog we ever had to do it and yet the ball is nearly bigger than herself :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement