Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

upgrade on my civic - Shes poppin nicely! :D

Options
  • 01-06-2004 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

just had a new chip fitted along with when i got my piper cams camshaft from kent as a presant for my 21st(early)

Shes cuttin fine! Alot more poke in the car - although i didnt think that i would notice it at first... the lads said that the cam shaft will have to be re allogned every time i add a performance part to my engine, can someone fill me in on that? Is it to do with the mixture being put into engine and the timing if the suck/squeeze/bang/blow?

Heres a lil url to me driving it for the first time (1.5 megs, 10 ish seconds long)

im lovin it! When i got my car it all seemed to long till i could afford to do something other than lower it and get new wheels! Its really starting to come together. With regards to my angel eye lights(for those of you who remembered), i tested it out with a tinfoil make shift headlame made from a shoebox and a torch... lets say i dont wanna ruin a set of perfectly good headlamps!

I might use the innitial idea for the angel eyes on the inside of my car... but use it right!

Just a lil post to keep the mod community and the lads that like to get the most from their engines on boards filled in on what im at and how its going :)

reD.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Dolan84

Bleedin rappid!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

red is that a 1.4? takes off nicely. Whats involved in getting it chiped

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

What did Quinn Direct say about the performance mods dude?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Originally posted by MojoMaker
    What did Quinn Direct say about the performance mods dude?

Well, they were pritty sound even tho the fact that that im not insured by them, and garage insurance can do alot for a car...

I hear some shops have some 'red_ice's insurance details are non of my business juice' :) you should get some!

Yea ando, its a 1.4. Myself and a mate clocked the 0-60 at 8.5 seconds with him in the passenger seat(noone belives me :/) but when i put on the 18's it slowed it down, but its really nippy now with the mods. At 4500 revs in second its doin 45-50 mph, which i dont like doing much, but every now and then its fun to let lose! :)

Im not too sure with what the deal is with installing a chip, a mate of my dads did it for us

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Originally posted by red_ice

I hear some shops have some 'red_ice's insurance details are non of my business juice' :) you should get some!

Wow, you're a wanker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

why don't you just buy a car with a good engine in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Ahhh... smell the bull.

0-60 in 8.5seconds? Not likely. Let me remind you, you are drivng a 1.4 90BHP Civic with a SOHC and no VTEC. Modding the chip will simply alter the fuel injection sequence and will have no effect on the engine's real timing elements (values, cam phase and value lift) whatsoever.

Your official timing for this car off Honda is 11.6 seconds, whatever you gained by the chip will be offset by those 18" wheels.

Don't argue, used to work for Honda, know way too much about this stuff. Need to get yourself some sort of VTEC to really see a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

0-60 in 8.5seconds? Not likely

Really?
    I have to say I wasn't all that impressed anyway, I had an old 1989 toyota corolla hatch back 1.3L 12valve that did it in less than 10.5secs, with no engine mods and 15" TSW stealths on.
    Don't know much about engines, but I would have taken his word for it tbh - seems realistic enough.

Nope 8.5 is a little too optimistic, if he said 10.5 I would believe it. It just simply isn't there with the weight and engine of the car even with the new camshaft.

The stock Civic 1.6 does it in 10.2 secs (1.6 SOHC VTEC) and the Type R does it in 6.6 (2.0 DOHC iVTEC ,for the 04 model). The 1.4 engines are manufactured for economy and reliability and are Honda's entry level engine. Even the cheaper Jazz has a more sophisticated engine. The excessive tax in some countres (inc Ireland) require a 1.4 engine in car and this is Honda's offering. Ford, Toyota, that's why all manufacturers have the same offering.

Interesting about that Toyota, newer cars do seem to be getting slower alright, but then again they are typicall heavier (side impact bars, stiffened chassis, with more things to drive, power steering, power brakes, etc.). What you will find with newer cars is that the 0-60 isn't particulary quick, but the mid range torque is improved leading to better economy and smoothness of drive at the 30-70 range.

Oh I remember driving a 1.6 Carina that went like crazy. Had 90bhp but seems to go forever. The good old days huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Hes not going to drop 2 secs off a 0-60 that easily. He'd have to run on smaller wheels, add a lot more power and torque. If he put a turbo, or some nitro on it he'd do it. My old CRX was a 1.6 DOHC (non VTEC) 130bhp, no cat, 14" alloys and alot lighter than a CIVIC and it only did 0-60 in about 8.0 secs.

• Advertisement

Unless of course he was to drive off a cliff... (with a tailwind)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Civic 1.4 - 0 to 60 in 8.5 seconds - yer havin' a laf aren't ya.

The thing about cams is they are made with economy in mind when they are designed for off the shelf use. Even 11.6 seconds as spec is beyond belief unles driven by someone who knows how.

The 90 2.0Si 4WS Prelude managed 0 to 60 in about 9.8 with a tail wind FFS!

ZEN

Well, they were pritty sound even tho the fact that that im not insured by them, and garage insurance can do alot for a car...

Yea ando, its a 1.4. Myself and a mate clocked the 0-60 at 8.5 seconds with him in the passenger seat(noone belives me :/) but when i put on the 18's it slowed it down, but its really nippy now with the mods. At 4500 revs in second its doin 45-50 mph, which i dont like doing much, but every now and then its fun to let lose! :)

Im not too sure with what the deal is with installing a chip, a mate of my dads did it for us

Put it to you this way, if you have some reason to make a claim on your insurance, the car was stolen for example, and you have non disclosed mods, even something like non standard wheels, stereo, lights. The insurance company can refuse to pay out.

Is it illegal not to declare them? I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

The stock Civic 1.6 does it in 10.2 secs (1.6 SOHC VTEC)

hmm.. funny that - Honda list 8.7 seconds for the 1.6 SOHC VTEC (EG ESi) , and 9.2 for the 1.6 SOHC VTEC (EK SR VTEC)

Anyway, a chipped 1.4 EK Civic with a decent induction kit and exhaust will be seeing over 110 brake horsepower, probably not enough to out-accelerate that Maserati you have parked out back, but its over a 20% gain which is fairly impressive by tuning standards. And before anyone cries out BS, I've seen them dynoed time and time again, so I have some idea what I'm talking about.
    The thing about cams is they are made with economy in mind when they are designed for off the shelf use.

And since when have Piper cams been made with economy in mind???:rolleyes:

8.5 seconds, give or take half a second is probably accurate enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Originally posted by ZENER

The 90 2.0Si 4WS Prelude managed 0 to 60 in about 9.8 with a tail wind FFS!

ZEN

the prelude is a very heavy lump of a car tho, the 2.0i doesn't have the power needed to really move it.

How come Honda doesn't just do the remapping and hotter cams themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

ehonda01.gif

Honda sez "me no give a poop"

"hmm.. funny that - Honda list 8.7 seconds for the 1.6 SOHC VTEC (EG ESi) , and 9.2 for the 1.6 SOHC VTEC (EK SR VTEC)"

Ahhh... different model of Civic. The ESi did indeed do 0-60 in 8.7s, and the VTi (Irish model) of that genetation 0-60 in 7.2s. However, red_ice has a 7th generation Civic and while the old ESi was about as safe as driving around in a crisp bag, the newer model has better protection, but at the cost of more weight. The 10.2 seconds for a 7th generation Civic 1.6 SOHC (EP2) is correct - the power plan offers much better mid-range torque but a lower power output. The D16V1 spits out 110bhp but 152 Nm of torque! Not bad for a 1.6.

Interesting the TypeR for the 6th generation does 0-60 in 5.1s - again from a 1.6 DOHC VTEC engine. But you basically get into the engine that you hang onto. What I'm trying to say here is power to weight ratio rules between the models. I've seen this my car purchase history:

1997 - Civic 1.6 ESi (125bhp)
    1999 - Civic 1.4 S (90bhp)
    2000 - Civic 1.5 iLS (114bhp)
    2003 - Civic 1.6 S (110bhp) - my wife
    2003 - CTR (197bhp)

Nice cars... but seem to be getting slower with time. All the hype about the CTR, it's still a little crazy, noisy, expensive to run. Will be changing this for an Acoord soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

And since when have Piper cams been made with economy in mind???

I was referring to the stock cams in the car when made.:rolleyes:

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

-edit-
    Nice car

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭deathcube ^_^

IS THIS THE CAR THAT DADDY BOUGHT YOU ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭AndrewWK

He's just enjoying life, having fun ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

notice he said his m8 timed it in the passenger seat which means he used a stopwatch or something similar so it would probably been over 11 secs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

notice he said his m8 timed it in the passenger seat which means he used a stopwatch or something similar so it would probably been over 11 secs

is this because time travels faster in the passenger seat?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Right then, i guess ill have to grab the bull by the hornes and just record with my camera the dashboard itsself! :) ill cover up above 60mph with some paper+tape so it is as clear as possible. ATM im uninsured (ran out) so give me a week or two to sort that out, then ill hit the traffic lights leading onto the m50 which would make the 0-60 all legal.
    Originally posted by deathcube ^_^
    IS THIS THE CAR THAT DADDY BOUGHT YOU ?

no actually, unlike you i dont have to make queer promises with mommy to buy me stuff. i work for my car/everything i own. Go crawl back under the rock outside the music center from which you came from you stupid looking muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

lies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Reddy no offence but your car is a pile of shit and nobody gives a fuck.

Right then, i guess ill have to grab the bull by the hornes and just record with my camera the dashboard itsself! :) ill cover up above 60mph with some paper+tape so it is as clear as possible. ATM im uninsured (ran out) so give me a week or two to sort that out, then ill hit the traffic lights leading onto the m50 which would make the 0-60 all legal....

Just out of curiosity how does that make it legal?

Besides its easily faked in a Video editing app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Just out of curiosity how does that make it legal?

because its a standing start in a 60mph zone, as opposed to doing it in his local housing estate.
    why not read the post, then think about it before hopping in to slag him off

• Advertisement

Originally posted by echomadman
    because its a standing start in a 60mph zone, as opposed to doing it in his local housing estate.
    why not read the post, then think about it before hopping in to slag him off

Is a (timed/video'ed) "standing start" legal on ANY public road?

How was I slagging him off by asking a question?:confused:

Advertisement