Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

upgrade on my civic - Shes poppin nicely! :D

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Man Time

I can't see what the problem would be, unless he was holding the video camera himself. I can't see what everone has to slag the guy? So he puts his money into his car, might not be everyones cup of tea but he's not doing anything wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

erm its been nearly 3 weeks still watin on the video:D :D :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Hey,

Just spotted this one is still going. Just in case the movie ever appears, you can compare it to these

My current Focus Speedo (0-70mph)

My Soon to be Celica Speedo (20-115mph - off road of course)

Both 1.8s. Anyway The focus is about 8 seconds 0-60, the celica about 8.5 seconds from 20-90, which is much quicker

Nice to see if the 1.4 civic can compete :)

DW

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Originally posted by Mayshine
    Hey,

Both 1.8s. Anyway The focus is about 8 seconds 0-60, the celica about 8.5 seconds from 20-90, which is much quicker

DW

That Celica sounds fantastic.... what's under the bonnet ?

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Got any pics of this civic? I wanna see myself if shes 'poppin nicely' :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by jayok

Interesting the TypeR for the 6th generation does 0-60 in 5.1s - again from a 1.6 DOHC VTEC engine...

I thought it was a 1.8 engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Nope, it was a 1.6 DOHC that put out 175BHP (the 1998-200 model put out 185bhp), it just keeps revving up to 8,200rpm! (they seriously reduced the internal friction on the engine). They got the 0-60 time out of it but simply ripping out all excess weight (I mean everything!), even the windscreen was thinner than normal to reduce weight. Went like the clappers. Designed for the Japanese market though but you can get them off Jap importers here.

Just try getting insurance! :)

quote:
    Hey,

DW

0-60 in 8 seconds from a 1.8 Focus? Maybe downhill - official time for a 3dr 1.8 Zetec focus is at best 9.9 seconds. :dunno:

But the Celica - now you're talking! :D

Nope, it was a 1.6 DOHC that put out 175BHP (the 1998-200 model put out 185bhp), it just keeps revving up to 8,200rpm! (they seriously reduced the internal friction on the engine). They got the 0-60 time out of it but simply ripping out all excess weight (I mean everything!), even the windscreen was thinner than normal to reduce weight. Went like the clappers. Designed for the Japanese market though but you can get them off Jap importers here.

Just try getting insurance! :)

You sure it was a 1.6?

http://www.integra.orcon.net.nz/engines
    http://www.teirney.net/civic/B16AReference.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

0-60 in 8 seconds from a 1.8 Focus? Maybe downhill - official time for a 3dr 1.8 Zetec focus is at best 9.9 seconds. :dunno:

mayshine is telling the truth, it is a 1.8. I've been in the car a few times and its impressively fast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A 1998-2001 Focus 3 door 1.8 ZTEC has 115BHP and does 0-100km/h (0-62mph) in 10.2 seconds. Not slow by all means, but not fast either...

Unless it was (chip)tuned :)

That celica is nice alright. it is the 190hp vvtli version with a TRD exhaust and intake i think. American versions of these are putting down 180hp to the wheels with the exhaust intake and chip. This is about 210hp at the flywheel which is what you are seeing in the video

the Focus that the movie came from is my own 1.8 but it has

St170 Cosworth 4-2-1 header
    Sports Cat
    Exhaust
    Intake
    Underdrive pullies
    and a couple of other goodies

I'll dyno verify it when I get back from Singapore but proably is making about 140ish hp. This is based on dyno runs on the same engine with the same mods in the UK. Time the video if you like go 0-65 to allow for 10% speedo inaccuracy. Also I have a gtecg Pro accelerometer and it gives similar results.

Anyway it is going back to stock soon to make way for the celica unless anyone wants it as is....

Hope this helps

DW.

Quote:

You sure it was a 1.6?

Yep, definately a 1.6. It uses the B16B engine (as outlined in the 2nd link). The second and third digits in Honda's engine code give the capacity (i.e. D15Y6, is a 1.5, K20A, is a 2.0 litre, etc). The 1.8 Civic was a 5-door (or Aerodeck) type and wasn't mad on HP (about 140) but greatly improved the torque output. It was built in Swindon for the British market (motorway cruising, etc). You see the odd one around in Ireland. Integra Type R's utilise a 1.8 engine with an output of 189bhp (european model) far more refined than the Civic Type R - in so far as you could ever call a Integra refined! :D

Back to the JDM Type R, while it seemed great to have 185bhp at the front wheels, on a wet surface it was just a little crazy to control. Rarely would you put it to 8,200rpm in a bend for you would be putting a crash barrier design into the front of the car!

Sports Cat
    Exhaust
    Intake
    Underdrive pullies

Ahhh... my bad, for some reason didn't think about the tuning element! :)

The reason I was suspect of this was I rented one of these while travelling around Europe last year and I was a little disappointed with performance for a 1.8. But then again, I don't think Hertz are big tuning fans!

The stock cat on the 1.8 an 2.0 focus is very restrictive. It is very close to the head to get it warmed up quicky for emission reasone but of course causes a huge restriction on exhaust gases. Once that guy is replaced with a long tube header the car really gets back the torque that it was robbed of.

I would like to sell it on like this because all the parts on the car are genuine for parts from an ST170. But looks like I am going to have to put all the OEM junk back on to get it sold :confused: You can see it on the sticky thread asking for pics of users cars :)

But that celica does look nice (190bhp as standard from a 1.8) :cool: And insurance prices keep falling each time I check ....

DW

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sports Cat
    Exhaust
    Intake
    Underdrive pullies

I'll dyno verify it when I get back from Singapore but proably is making about 140ish hp

Now it makes more sense :)

Like the Celica revving btw

Like the Celica revving btw

Thats what I like about it so much. Can wait to use this no torque monster to slay a few desiels :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Put it to you this way, if you have some reason to make a claim on your insurance, the car was stolen for example, and you have non disclosed mods, even something like non standard wheels, stereo, lights. The insurance company can refuse to pay out.

Is it illegal not to declare them? I dunno.

Without being able to give a definative answer, i'd strongly suspect it is, as to not declare them means the insurance policy he holds doesn't cover him and he's effectively uninsured.

I don't know how thoroughly an insurance assessor or inspector will go over the car, if at all, should it be in a big smash and lead to a large payout, but if he/she found some undeclared mods the payout would have to come from the ininsured drivers fund.

what model/year celica are you referring to Dave?

7th generation celica (1999-present). Going for the 190 (T-Sport) varient with 189hp as standard. 200+ with TRD exhaust. Not easy to find here so I will pick one up in the UK. Will be any colour but silver. I like the dark blue or red or black

I want to get the RS but the VRT comes in at 10k for even the oldest RS (an 02), while an 02 celica is 6k, 01 5k. I guess this is because the celica is a 1.8 while the RS is 2.0. Tax is less too

I know the RS is quicker but the celica has been growing on me for the last few weeks + the insurance is cheaper too

So celcia with 15k on the clock for about 21k or an RS with 15k for about 34k. :rolleyes:

Dw

5941bestpic-med.jpg

or

4162Will_s_Car14.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

why are we argueing over a focus and celecia, the thread was to see if red ices civic and do 0-60 in less tahn 10 seconds:rolleyes: and i believe that the focus did it in under 8 its possible.

Since when were we arguing abou the focus and celica. :rolleyes:

Anyway the focus has 400cc more and more modifcations than the civic though. More like 8 secs flat, don't think I could make it under 8 seconds unless I launched it real hard

Anyway if we were to wait on red'ices movie we would be here till the end of the year.

BTW red - PM me if you want to run your car with my Gtech pro. You'll get a pretty good reading from you car and can end any arguements.

DW

Quote:

You sure it was a 1.6?

Yep, definately a 1.6. It uses the B16B engine (as outlined in the 2nd link). The second and third digits in Honda's engine code give the capacity (i.e. D15Y6, is a 1.5, K20A, is a 2.0 litre, etc). The 1.8 Civic was a 5-door (or Aerodeck) type and wasn't mad on HP (about 140) but greatly improved the torque output. It was built in Swindon for the British market (motorway cruising, etc). You see the odd one around in Ireland. Integra Type R's utilise a 1.8 engine with an output of 189bhp (european model) far more refined than the Civic Type R - in so far as you could ever call a Integra refined! :D

Back to the JDM Type R, while it seemed great to have 185bhp at the front wheels, on a wet surface it was just a little crazy to control. Rarely would you put it to 8,200rpm in a bend for you would be putting a crash barrier design into the front of the car!

My bad. I actually though you were talking about the Integra TypeR. I didn't realise they did a Civic TypeR of the 6th gen. I drove a SiRII 5th gen once, on a test drive. Twas nippy but shagged so I didn't buy it.

Hmm nice choice on the celica, they do look very nice. I agree with you on the Rs, big money for the pleasure of owning one :(

What do you think of the Type R Civic? 200bhp and a lot cheaper than an RS. This one is going for €26,900

CB244799.jpg

I'd imagine it would be a lot cheaper importing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

rofl, thats rathdown moters! I saw that type-R there when i bought my civic.. i know why they havnt shifted that one yet, have you seen the price they are asking for that car? Its stupid.

There was also a second hand civic in rathdown(exact year and model as my one but in white) with a type-r bodykit + 17'' alloys wheels (mank yokes) with more milage than my one and they were selling it for 16/17k! the car wasnt even dropped either... it looked stupid with all that work.

Not much cheaper importing. I checked :D

Problem is the insurance is a grand more expensive than the RS which is 300 more expensive than the celica. You know how irish insurer go when you try and insure any honda

Plus its looks have never grown on me. Looks too much like a family hatchback (and an ugly one too) ony 9hp more that the toyota also

DW

The new civic is the fastest bread van I've ever seen. I dunno Honda design has gone to pot lately. As for Rathdown. From my experience of them with my CRX, I wouldn't trust them to swap the battery in my watch. But they'll charge you top rates for everything. Honda in Clonskeagh were much better, but still very expensive.

RE: The red Civic Type R

Hmmm... was actually in Rathdown today getting a service on my Civic and spotted this CTR too. Checked in inside of the car and it's in rag-order! The seats are stained, the alloy gear knob scratched, and the silver finish on the door scratched off. Whoever had this made bits of it, and if that's the inside what happened to the mechanincs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

official times are set when redlining thru gears. (actually slows the car). A 16v engine is only properly run in at 50,000 miles and if ran in correctly will put out about 15 - 20 % more power than new stock. 8.5 to sixty in a modded (and well ran in) 1.4 is very easy. my leon '01 1.6 does it in around the same (or faster) with no mods and 62,000 on the clock. thats with half a tank of petrol and 17 stone behind the wheel. :) I had a duel with a 04 audi A31.6 FSi recently and comfortably beat him both off the lights and through the gears. His face told a million stories.:eek: he was really pushing it.

then again I suppose im just a better driver :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    I wouldn't trust them to swap the battery in my watch. But they'll charge you top rates for everything.

how does 3500 for a type-R body kit from them sound? When i can call up icetronix or if was desperate... high octaine and get it for 1k-1.5?

i was the same jayok. I hated the new civic till i drove it and got to have a proper look at it. I think its brilliant - not becasue i have one, just because i can still see the same lines in the car as the mark3/4 civics but with a more modern look. I was happy when i got it, but when it was lowered and i got my wheels on, i thought it was sex on wheels!

But thats just me, and if its mine, thats all that matters ;p but i can see where your coming from.

Advertisement