Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P4 question

Options
  • 01-06-2004 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine has a P4 2.66Ghz. I presume thats overclocked since I havent heard of a P4 2.66? Also when its idle, the temp is about 50C. I wanted to isntall MBM5 but I'm not sure what mobo is it. Is there a software that can detect what mobo it uses?
    When I opened the case up there wasnt any fan at all apart from the cpu fan. Is this safe for a P4?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I am guessing its a P4 with a 533 bus...

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Yeah, it's a 533 (133x20).
    Belarc should tell you what the mobo is:
    www.belarc.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I dont know much about intel. What does 533 means?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The front side bus runs at 533 MHz. Modern P4's also come in 800MHz FSB versions.

I see, so what would be the original speed of the cpu?

Tried that Belarc and CPU-Z, its says the mobo is P4M266A-8235 but no manufacturer?

• Advertisement

as far as I can tell, 2.66GHz is the original clock speed of the CPU. They do exist, Dell flogged a few Dimension 2400's equipped with them - and their BIOSes don't allow any overclocking.
    The high (but not terribly high) idle temperatures your friend has are probably down to either a crappy CPU cooler or the fact that he has no case fans at all. One case fan pumping hot air out at the back could reduce the temperature by as much as 10 degrees.

Ah okay. Thanks dude.

I want to install MBM5 to my friend's machine but I dont know what mobo is in the rig. All I got was P4M266A-8235. No manufacturer listed. So how do I get MBM5 to install or how to I detect the mobo's manufacturer?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

try sis sandra soft i think it's called

it might tell your the make of the motherboard

SiSoft Sandra - www.sisoftware.co.uk

• Advertisement

Installed Sisoft Sandra and it still doesnt detect the manufacturer but the USB are made by Epox so can I presume that the board is made by Epox as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Just google for P4M266A-8235
    It's a Via chipset used on generic mobos, and it supports up to 133fsb (DDR266).
    I doubt if it's supported by MBM as it probably doesn't have the right temp sensors onboard.

Is this it?

ep-p4mki.jpg

http://www.epox.nl/english/products/motherboard/p4mki.htm

Well it looks like that but the P4KMI is not on the MBM5 list. Turns out its Soyo Dragon. Got MBM5 to work. Its idling at 74C :ninja:

Oh dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by Stephen
    as far as I can tell, 2.66GHz is the original clock speed of the CPU. They do exist, Dell flogged a few Dimension 2400's equipped with them - and their BIOSes don't allow any overclocking.
    The high (but not terribly high) idle temperatures your friend has are probably down to either a crappy CPU cooler or the fact that he has no case fans at all. One case fan pumping hot air out at the back could reduce the temperature by as much as 10 degrees.

True. Had one before i upgraded. Oddly there was only one fan in the case. A cheap heatsink with an air duct to the fan. Like in the pic below:

zeus08.jpg

74C :eek:

I think the main problem is that there is no other fan in the case. I thought of putting a fan in but dont think there's much space or even a power supply socket free to power the fan.

I can imagine how hot it gets under load. Probably test later.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

74'C idle. Dare I ask for a under load temperature...... If its indeed that high a temperature the chip could be throttling back. There should be at least one outtake case fan and it will be fine

Funny thing is under load it goes about 76C to 77C. Not much increase.

Sounds strange Neokenzo. My 2.8c idles at 45~ and peaks at 63 in a warm room. Those reading are abit\winbond readings so...

I agree. I was expecting it to peak to about 85C++. Probably something screwed up on the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

Originally posted by Stephen
    The front side bus runs at 533 MHz. Modern P4's also come in 800MHz FSB versions.

alleged 800mhz fsb, not actual

Turns out the mobo is actually an Epox and unfortunately its not supported by MBM5. I wonder whether this was the reason why it was giving such a high temp. But then again , the pc boots up at about 45-48C anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalamar

I've got a p4 2.66 GHz. It's the lowest end P4 to my knowledge. 133Mhzx20. Mine runs at 27-30C under idle to light load. 44C at sustained max load, both with stock cooler.

The P4 B version ranges from 2.26 to 3.06GHz

The P4 goes lower than that but they arent a patch on the current breed

Advertisement