Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

really really annoying XP trait...

Options
  • 01-06-2004 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

right, im a firm believer that 2kpro > all os'.

In a bid to learn what little extras XP has to offer i installed it on my machine. Working on computers, you dont wanna take your work home - i cba reinstalling 2k.

One thing ive noticed is opening internet explorer is a nightmare! Im very impatient, and i demand speed and stuff working when i want it to. When i open ie it takes about 5-10 seconds for the window to open, or, if i get annoyed i click it over and over 15 windows open... 20 seconds later.

Is there anyway around this annoying little part of XP?

Im great when it comes to tweaking machines, but this really gets under my skin as it boggles the mind as to what to do.

Cheers

reD.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I think thats got to do with the speed of you machine and your memory. I used to have that problem with my old machine but I dont have it anymore. It opens immediately after I clicked the IE icon.
    There are a few websites that offers suggestions to tweaking XP. Have a look at this and this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Turn off unnecessary services such as themes. If it was me though I'd go back to w2k. I don't see any major advantages offered by XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

have all themes off, xp more or less looks like 2k atm. I have all the animations removed and i have alot of performance tweaks.

I have only the processes that i need running atm.

And imo, an AMD 3200+ with a gig of ram... shouldnt be the problem ;)

Cheers for the sites, ill look em up now!

reD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Ohh you cheeky bas****
    Beginners Guides: 99 Performance Tips for Windows XP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

strange... internet explorer loads instantly for me on my 3200 (well, oc'ed 2500)

i take it you did a fresh install and have more than 128mb ram?
    (it should really be 256mb on the minimum requirments of xp tbh)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

yeh, if you upgraded your W2K install to XP its going to be a bit ****ty.

I have an AMD xp2800 running at stock speeds with a gig of ram and the likes of IE and Firefox open pretty much instantaneously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Also, make sure that your machine is defragged.

A fragmented machine can really affect perf.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by ColmOT [MSFT]
    Also, make sure that your machine is defragged.

A fragmented machine can really affect perf.
    Yeah, one of the few failings I found with XP. My machine is by no means super fast, but performance picks up greatly after a defrag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by seamus
    Yeah, one of the few failings I found with XP. My machine is by no means super fast, but performance picks up greatly after a defrag.
    hardly a problem tbh.

i just made a simple batch file to defrag my 2 partitions and then shut down windows.
    i normally run it once a week. turn on my pc in the morning & run that before i leave the house, come home to a nicely defraggled hd:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ando

After installing Xp on any machine, I always use a program called 'Xp-Antispy'. It gets rid of all the background stuff that XP does to keep track of you. It also gets rid of those really annoying pop ups from the system tray

• Advertisement
Advertisement