Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Socket 423 P4 Upgrade Misbehaving

Options
  • 01-06-2004 9:15am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi- little query.

Upgraded an Abit TH7 Raid with a P4 2.8GHz Northwood (with one of the Evergreen adaptors!) Have the latest BIOS revision (D7).

Processor is recognised in the BIOS as 2080 MHz (FSB of 130MHz multiplier of 16), but in Windows 2000 its correctly recognised as P4 2.8GHz. (by my reckoning- it should be a FSB of 133 (quad pumped to 533) and multiplied by 21?) Memory is PC800 Rambus, 512Mb of identical Non ECC Samsung sticks.

When booting- it reports "an incorrect CPU configuration" and you have to hit F1 to continue.

It seems to be overheating as well- I have it set to sound a warning at 75 degrees C, and to force a reset at 85 degrees. My little heat siren goes off fairly regularly.

Using default voltage (think its 2.54 volts), and the Intel stock heatsink, along with Arctic cooling compound.

Any ideas anyone? Once you boot, apart from the overheating, it seems to be fine.

Cheers,

Shane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

can you manually set the FSB etc.?

Also, socket 423 was willemette, 478 = Northwood

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

According to all the online forums its possible to manipulate the FSB between 130 and 155MHz- but its greyed out in my case. I really don't think the Willimette versus Northwood is the issue- but if you'd care to expand on that one I'd be interested to hear your theory.

Btw- have discovered the default CPU voltage supplied by the BIOS was in actual fact incorrect- have ramped it down to 2.25 volts, its not changed any of the BIOS issues, but the heat issue is not as problematic (and I disconnected the motherboard speaker too..... :-) )

Rambus is being reported as 512MB 174 X4 in the BIOS- i.e. 696MHz- but diagnostics in Win 2000 are reporting it correctly as 800MHz......

I'm this close to tossing the mobo- or chucking the 1.4GHz processor back into it again and seeing what I can do with it.

Arrrgghhhhhh......

Advertisement