Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atlanta Canada?

• 01-06-2004 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭

Maybe I'm wrong (but it's not very likely) .... but aren't Edge, Benoit and Jericho come from Canada?

but in the program for the tour of defiance edge is down as bein

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

(something went wrong there and it got posted before I finished)

anyway .. edge is down as being from Florida ... benoit from Atlanta, Georgia, and Jericho from New York, New York

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

they have started to say "Hailing from Edmonton, now residing in Atlanta" or something like that - dunno why, I would view it as an insult to their nationality

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭xzodia

the reason for this was work permits when they started wrestling. especially with Benoit, the fact is they are living in America now so that is why they are announced the way they are. I dont see it as an insult just the fact that they are not living in Canada anymore. It would be like any of us living in say Spain but still calling ourselves Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Yerac

Yes, but there are still huge holes in the logic of it.
    For example : Steven Regal? Hell of a commute every week from Blackpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I remember reading that the reason for it was that Hirohito was going to be feuding with Benoit and Jericho on Raw, and WWE wanted the Americans to get more into the racial aspect of it by the two Candians "becoming" Americans. That extreme Japanese gimmick has been dropped apparently, and Hirohito will be toned down on Smackdown.

Jericho was actually born in Manhasset, New York, but moved to Winnipeg when his da joined their hockey team. He doesn't live in New York now though.

I find it very stupid. The wrestlers didn't ask for their nationalities to be changed. I have read in interviews that Benoit made sure that they announced him as "residing in Atlanta" when he was told they'd be changing it, and not actually "from Atlanta". Jericho said the same thing. It looks liek they didn't get much say in it though.

The Japanese wrestlers are still announced as being from Japan, even though many of them have lived in America for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Also Gale Kim is apparently from Korea now...thing is as soon as she opens her mough its painfully obvious she isnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

Originally posted by xzodia
    the reason for this was work permits when they started wrestling. especially with Benoit, the fact is they are living in America now so that is why they are announced the way they are. I dont see it as an insult just the fact that they are not living in Canada anymore. It would be like any of us living in say Spain but still calling ourselves Irish

So, um........ if i moved to Spain i'd be spanish? What planet are you from?
    I hope for your sake that you're taking the piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

i thought they changed them all so the yank fans would think the best wrestlers are from america and not canada so theyd be more interested in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭brianomc

flicked through programmes since 2002 after seeing Benoit down as from Atlanta in TOD programme and Benoit, Gail Kim, Shelton Benjamin and Molly Holly have all changed their location. Didn't they just have a Chris Benoit day in Edmonton, the whole town must really be a fan to celebrate an outsider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

Vince McMahon's explanation from Off the Record:
    Full report from the show here: http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=2741&p=1

Vince has a great roster, huge representation of Canadians. Someone tunes in and hears "Chris Benoit from Atlanta." He gets upset. What's the reason for the location switch?

Vince said that when Chris Benoit became champion, he'd been living in Atlanta for ten years. Michael Landsberg interrupts and says that he only lives there because it's convenient for him, but he's from Canada.

Vince McMahon said that it's a way to increase their popularity in the United States.

Landsberg asks: "Then why is Christian from Toronto?"

Vince said that Christian is a heel. There is a bias in the States and same goes in Canada.

Landsberg asked if all that started from the Hart Foundation storyline in 1997? Landsberg points out the fact that Bret Hart's favorite/greatest time of his life was in 1997 with the Hart Foundation. Vince said that a lot of baby face Americans are heels in Canada.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

at wrestlemania a couple of years ago they announced christian as being from florida, to rile up the crowd

does this mean that they'll be down as from canada when wrestling there, and down as america everywhere else?

Advertisement