Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Question

Options
  • 01-06-2004 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

I am going to upgrade my computer in a few week's and I would like to go the 64bit direction but the price is abit steep having no credit card I have to look to ITdirect and peats for the item's I want.

The problem i'm having is if I was to go with an Athlon64 based system I will have to get the motherboard and CPU but if I was to go with the cheaper AthlonXP system I will still have to get a new motherboard as well as CPU because my A7N8X non dlx does not support 400fbs that bring's the price about the same 100yoyo give or take.

Another problem I was looking at was with the Athlon64's and them not supporting duel channel
    memory this come's as a let down to me as I have 2x512 Corsair XMS DDR400 memory.

So as it stand's I can go for the cheaper AthlonXP system with duel channel support or the expensive Athlon64 system with no duel channel support making my XMS DDR400 350yoyo memory just as good as kingston DDR400 value ram :mad: .

So what do you guy's think will I go for 64bit or stick with XP hear a list of what 64bit stuff I was thinking of getting.

K8V DELUXE Athlon 64 mobo 174.24
    ADA3200BOX 2.2GHz 1mb 351.24

Also ITdirect have the A64_3200+ Chip listed at 2.2Ghz but it does not exist less it is the 3400+ I have read alot of review's of this 3200+ but thay all state it at 2.0Ghz it must be a typo but if anyone has got this CPU is it 2.2 or just 2Ghz.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

ok for a start check out www.jes-computer.de afaik they accept bank transfer as payment and they are quite cheap

the A64 without dual channel support will wipe with floor against the XP with dual channel support. the dual channel support makes little difference, on an XP system it gives minimal performance gains.

just because you memory isn't running dual channel doesn't make the memory as good as kingston value ram. kingston value ram will do run in dual channel just as well as the corsair xms. the difference with the xms series is that it will have tight timings a CAS of 2.0 and if its older memory may be based on BH-5 chips. the kingston value ram however could be CAS 2.5 for example.

so my advice would be to go for the 64 system

however if your interesested and can wait socket 939 for the 64 systems is rearing its head, and it will have dual channel support iirc, i believe however that it will be more expensive.

anywho at the chance of sounding like a broken record on this subject, if you plan on overclocking the pc make sure the motherboard you go for has a working pci/agp slot, i.e it uses the later via chipset, or the late nforce 3 150's or even better the newer nforce 3 250.

check out the recent motherboard roundup of socket 754 at www.anandtech.com

data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 CoolNitro

Thx for your quick reply I was j/k about value ram was just a metafore I know about the cas2.0 2.5 stuff.

look's like I will be getting the 64's and is this site trustworthy has many ppl baught much from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

no problem

i think a number of people of boards have purchased from them, may take a bit longer to sort out as its a bank transfer and not credit cards, also any RMA's can be a bit of a hassle i hear you'll get a faster response if you fire off an email babel fished into german then if you send in english

the money you'd save alone on buying a tray version of the 64 3200+ alone is worth while tis only 242 euro, i think it should by 2.0Ghz with 1mb l2 cache as well, while the 3000+ is 2.0Ghz with 512kb of l2 cache, and the 3400+ is 2.2Ghz with 1mb cache.

data

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Yea exactly what data said, with one exception ;)

The 3200+ is now available with 512kb cache and runs at 2.2ghz (newcastle) along with the 2ghz 1mb l2 cache (clawhammer). Think jes have the 2ghz 1mb, while komplett are doing the 2.2ghz one.

Im be more lightly to go for the lower cache and faster speed .......... But definetly head for AMD64, wipes the floor with XP's.

And jes arent that bad, nice for people without credit cards. havent had to RMA anything thank god!!

[edit] Aswell i think the 3400+ will come out with 512kb cache & 2.4ghz (or already is out)

Advertisement