Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mercenary of the year!

• 01-06-2004 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

After all the posts about how great players and managers are ,who is the biggest Merc of the year?
    Is it Parker of Chelsea for refusing to train with the team who gave him the chance to play PL?
    Rivaldo for wanting 120 grand and his own physio to do the medical?
    Anyone Chelsea have bought who wanted money? Bogarde for happily sitting in reserves for 60 grand a week and refusing to do anything just let his contract run out cos he knows he wont 60 elsewhere?
    Mourinho for agreeing to move to Chelsea before hsi team had played in the CL final ?
    Benitez for leaving valencia after winning the league and knows more money elsewhere?

There are many many more , who pissed you off the most this season by being a merc/wnaker?

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Alan Smith. Kissing the Leeds badge so much that it turned his lips purple, playing up to the Mr Leeds image, crying crocodile tears when they went down and then signing for their biggest enemies.

And that's ignoring the fact that he used to have his wall plastered in Liverpool posters as a cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Has to be Parker!! think it was a joke the way he treated Charlton! also wasnt it last summer he was pictured with a fan with a poster saying "Charlton are great! Chelsea are sh*t!" or something along those lines

In regards to previous post! I dont see wat the problem with the Alan Smith transfer.....he did his best to keep them up and was one of the few players who actually tried to keep them in the Premier league.....he also said for the last 4 months of the season if they where relagated he wud leave.....wat do u expect that he was going to move to a club where the fans wudnt mind but he wud never win anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If someone like Viduka made the same move, I'd agree with you. However Smith played up to the fans so much, went on about how much he loves the club and their supporters and how he's "Leeds through and through," and then goes and joins their biggest enemies at the first chance. It would be like Gary Neville joining Liverpool – unthinkable. Not only has he earned the hatred of the Leeds fans who feel utterly betrayed, but the majority off Man U supporters don’t want him either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Louis Saha, the club stuck with him through two injury plagued seasons and he never produced. As soon as starts to show some of his potential he jumps ship. The way he behaved to get the transfer was a disgrace.

I can't understand the sour grapes from Leeds fans towards Alan Smith, nobody on the pitch tried harder than him to keep Leeds up. He could have left the club sooner if he really wasn’t loyal to Leeds, I think it's really petty to call him a mercenary.

I'd be more pissed wit Kewell than Smith.....Leeds made a packet out of him! also nobody else came in with a bid close to wat Utd offered for him! wud u rather have seen him go to Newcastle..etc.....for 4-5 mil and means Leeds have one less player but still a huge dept!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

SAHA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    SAHA

You Left Out Miller;)

Seriously though how can anyone blame a player for moving to the bigger clubs wether it be for money or for the chance getting some silverware. Most of us aspire to reach the peak in our chosen profession so I don,t see how footballers should be expected to be any different.

AS has been perfectly demonstrated with the sacking of Raneire clubs show very little loyalty so I say fair play to the players for doing what they feel is best for themselves. Some people seem to have a very romantised view of football, jumpers for Goalposts etc etc, those days are long gone. the fact of the matter is that its just cold hard business now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I don't think anyone has a problem with players wanting to play for bigger clubs, the issue is that certain players have treated their clubs and by extension their fans very poorly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Bogarde for happily sitting in reserves for 60 grand a week and refusing to do anything just let his contract run out cos he knows he wont 60 elsewhere?

Bogarde did exactly what people here are arguing against. He stuck to his contract.

Players get blasted when they break their contracts, just look at the vitriol aimed at Saha in this thread for example. By my understanding Bogarde trained every day, never missing a session, he fulfilled his contractual obligations to the full. Is it his fault that the manager wouldn't pick him? I think not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I'm no United supporter, but no way would I class Miller as mercenary. It was simply a fookup by Celtic. He was looking for a new contract for over 12 months, but Celtic refused to offer him one because of his injury history.

Even after playing a few great games at the start of the season Celitc kept putting him on the long finger, and United made their interest known to him. Finally in November Celtic make an offer, but he knew United had an offer waiting on Jan1. He did the sensible thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Some people seem to have a very romantised view of football, jumpers for Goalposts etc etc, those days are long gone. the fact of the matter is that its just cold hard business now.

Good point, but if that's what you really believe, why not support somebody like Microsoft.
    What a team!!
    What a cash balance!!
    What an ebullient leader!!! Bet he does the monkey boy dance better than Ferguson.
    Or Ranieri.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Ultimately with Abramovic in charge Chelsea may turn out to be the Mercenaries of the decade.

Players:

Saha treated Fulham like crap to get the United move.
    Parker also treater Charlton poorly.

I've got no problems with Smith. He gave a good effort for Leeds all season unlike many other players. He said he'd leave if Leeds went down and leeds couldn't afford to keep him anyway. All he did is look at the teams that he can win things with and pick the best choice. United have a weakend strike force meaning he'll have a good chance to win a regular place and they have the right combination of players and money to recover from this season's poor showing. Plus, it isn't exactly a huge journey to family and friends in Leeds (although he may need to be more careful if he walks around the city).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by Hairy Homer
    Good point, but if that's what you really believe, why not support somebody like Microsoft.
    What a team!!

:D LOL.

I'm gonna be a sheep and agree with most of what's been said, i.e.

Saha + Parker = Mercenaries

Miller + Smith = Trying to make the best of a bad situation.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Originally posted by The Muppet
    You Left Out Miller;)

Seriously though how can anyone blame a player for moving to the bigger clubs wether it be for money or for the chance getting some silverware. Most of us aspire to reach the peak in our chosen profession so I don,t see how footballers should be expected to be any different.

B]

Moving is one thing, and thats fine but the way they treat th clubs is a scandal. They expect huge wages and sign a contract for say, 5 years. but if something better comes along they just go on strike or play crap and act up till the club have no option but to sell him. Basically contracts arnt worth the paper they are written on nowadays, players can just disregard them at any atage, so whats the point of them.

Originally posted by seansouth
    Bogarde did exactly what people here are arguing against. He stuck to his contract.

Players get blasted when they break their contracts, just look at the vitriol aimed at Saha in this thread for example. By my understanding Bogarde trained every day, never missing a session, he fulfilled his contractual obligations to the full. Is it his fault that the manager wouldn't pick him? I think not.

Theres a slight difference though, Chelsea dont want him.

Roman abramovich should win it fo rthe way he sacked Ranieri. He did as good a job as anyone could have expected, but abramovich had decided he was getting sacked before the season even started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by Stekelly
    Theres a slight difference though, Chelsea dont want him.

But as I said, that is not Winston's fault. He has done nothing wrong.

Moving is one thing, and thats fine but the way they treat th clubs is a scandal. They expect huge wages and sign a contract for say, 5 years. but if something better comes along they just go on strike or play crap and act up till the club have no option but to sell him. Basically contracts arnt worth the paper they are written on nowadays, players can just disregard them at any atage, so whats the point of them.

This is exactly the situation Bogarde finds himself in, but in total reverse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Rivaldo can't be beaten for the honour TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Roman abramovich should win it fo rthe way he sacked Ranieri. He did as good a job as anyone could have expected, but abramovich had decided he was getting sacked before the season even started.

I think we have a winner IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Thats the way Its been since Bozman, Campbell to Arsenal, Kewell to Liiverpool or Saha to United, I don't consider any of those to be mercenaries, They are getting the best deal they can for themselves just as the clubs always try to. I agree with your point about forcing the clubs to sell them but IMO its detrimental to a club to keep an unhappy player and once a player requests a transfer they should be sold to the highest bidder. After all If a player is no longer wanted by the clubs they don't be long about releasing them . Loyalty doesn,t come into it , it's business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by seansouth
    But as I said, that is not Winston's fault. He has done nothing wrong.

This is exactly the situation Bogarde finds himself in, but in total reverse.

Arent footballers meant to do somfin?

They had offers for him ,one from Ajax but he refused cos he wouldnt get 60k a week there.
    Great role model he is.

kdjac

• Advertisement

The Bozman rule allows you to move where you like for free when you are out of contract, not to kick up a fuss and act like a spoilt child to get you way. Players are just doing what they like when they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Fabio capello moving from Roma to juve.

Cud be A. Quinn moving from Shef Wed to Shef Utd but I aint bitter like the Leeds fans(haha) and I am wishing him all da best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Arent footballers meant to do somfin?

They had offers for him ,one from Ajax but he refused cos he wouldnt get 60k a week there.
    Great role model he is.

kdjac

Leave half way through a contract and you are slammed for it - honour your contract and you are slammed for it - am I missing something?

It was annoying, embarrising, agrivating etc as a cfc follower knowing that the club were pumping money into his bank accounty and receiving didly squat in return but that was the clubs fault - not the players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Usually when a manager comes into a new job, he trys to bring in certain members of his 'backroom staff' ) assistant coaches etc. This results in the people who currently hold the position getting the bullet. Does this make the new manager a mercenary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I can understand why Alan Smith moved to Manchester United , the man did all he could for Leeds and tried his best to keep them up and i doubt very much they were fake tears the last day of the season, he has moved to better his career and play at international level very regularly.Which is very understandable.

Winston Bogarde makes me laugh , the fact that chelski are even paying him that sort of money is crazy surely he cant have much longer to run on his contract but who will have him thats the question and for wat price ? just how long as he been there now and not pld a game ?

Mark Viduka the man is such a gifted footballer and when i first seen him play in Celtic park i thougfht to myself this man is going to be a legend turns out he did too celtic what he done to Leeds command a big salary dont really give 100% and if a bigger club comes in trhe first thing that springs to mind is how much more money and where is the dotted line. I pity any club looking to buy him cos he plays for his bank balance and not for the fans or the club.

Someone mentioned Liam Miller , as a celtic seasontcket holder(hopefuly i have the money to renew it :) ) i wish him all the best at Man united and i just think to myself what took MON so long to put him in the first team like he is 23 . Another thing is he loved celtic and did play for the club its just that it was time for him to move on to make him a better player. At man united he can become one of teh best midfielders in europe.

Can some one explain the above post sayin rivaldo was looking for all that money + own physio to do the medical.i missed this completely .
    ****ing hell that take the piss a wee bit doesnt it , but stil have the burning feeling inside of me that would love to see him at celtic park :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by neilbrady79
    Cud be A. Quinn moving from Shef Wed to Shef Utd but I aint bitter like the Leeds fans(haha) and I am wishing him all da best!
    Well considering Sheff Wed were releasing him on a free at the end of the season i'm not surprised :p

I know but cudnt resist a little dig at Leeds....haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

It has to be Bograde. £42,000 a week at Chelsea for the last four years. Has only ever started four games for the the club and last season he didn't even get a squad number.

If you work that out, he got paid £2,184,000 for every game that he played!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    It has to be Bograde. £42,000 a week at Chelsea for the last four years. Has only ever started four games for the the club and last season he didn't even get a squad number.

thats good work, if you can get it

Think I'll apply for his job when he leaves.:D

I might not be as good a footballer as him , but hey. what does it matter whether tis him getting money for not playing or me?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

While Smith did crap on the Leeds fans by going to that lot in red, it was inevitable given the other teams that were supposed to be looking for him. Lets face it, a move to Everton isn't the best move you could make. However, that still doesn't make it right and he's no longer welcome at Elland Road.

However, bad and all as Smith's move was, the Mercenary of the Year award can only go to that Aussie Judas - Harry Kewell. Fair enough if he wanted to move to Liverpool, but between him and Bernie Mandic (his scumbag agent) they completely stitched up Leeds, despite knowing the financial state of the club (at least Smith had the good grace/sense to waive his share of the transfer fee). Whatever slim chance there is of Smith being welcomed by the Leeds fans in the distant future, Kewell has no chance whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

How is he a mercenary for honouring his contract .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

No such thing as a football mercenary as far as I'm concerned. If a player is 'allegedly' just out to get what he can and he stays within the terms of their contract then fair play to them. If it hurts his career later down the line then that's his own problem but this idea that players 'owe' something to the fans is a joke and you're a fool if you buy into that notion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by Big Ears
    How is he a mercenary for honouring his contract .

Honouring his contract? Why not try to battle his way into the squad or find a club to take him on loan? Why, because he's happy to sit at home earning £42,000 a week for doing nothing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement