Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the next standard

• 01-06-2004 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what the next standard is, if any, and when it might be released.

Want to invest but if something better is comming out soon might hold off for a bit.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The next standards are all to do with secuirty (802.11i) and QoS (Quality of Service, 802.11e). They are due to be phased in over the next year or two. I wouldn't hold your breath. If your luckiy some of the gear will be software upgradeable to the new standards.

There is WiMax or 802.16 gear becoming avaible now as well but that isnt really ment for home use its more point to point and point to multipoint outdoors. Its also very expensive.

802.11n will be the next big speed jump and is expected to be in line with Fast Ethernet speeds (100mbit) but thats a year or two away as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

So is there any particular gear that is definatly software upgradeable to the new standards or should I just buy the first/cheapest wireless nic I see?

Timeout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

No vendors have announced whether current 802.11g will be firmware flashable to 802.11i so far. I'm hoping it is though.

Don't buy Atheros based wireless cards. They suck.

802.11b is well established and a proven technology. It should work fine but its slow. 802.11g is growing fast and many use it, but the vendors are still working out bugs. Its faster though, but not blazingly so, and backwards compatible with 802.11b. 802.11a is the newest and most expensive. As far as I know its not compatible with the others mentioned. Its faster than them though. There are a few dual channel 802.11g cards available operating at 802.11a speeds (108 Mb/s) but I have no experience with them either. I've had D-LInk and Netgear 802.11g PCI cards that caused hangs in Windows and Linux. I now have a Belkin PCi card that works just fine in both. I also hve Netgear PCMCIA cards that seem fine in Windows, and will soon be testing them under Linux. I have an Orinoco Silver 802.11b card thats flawless in very machine so far, and a Netgear ADSL modem/ wireless router thats been perfect performance wise and realty easy to use, except when madwifi drivers crashed it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Some of what you said is true but:

802.11 was orignal wireless then 11b shortly follwed by 11a and more recently 11g.

b is 11mbs
    a is 54mbs
    g is 54mbs

Some hacks on the standards get higher speeds by using multiple channels at the same time but that is vendor specfic.

Atheros cards generally supports a/b/g and we use them for IrishWAN/SouthEastWAN alot under various OS's.

To be firmware flashable to 11i the cards will have to have cryptografic (SP) acceleration hardware included (but currently not used). Its impossible to say who will have that at the moment...

Shop around for your gear stuff that would support a/b/g would probably be the most future proof versitile suff....

Advertisement