Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Steinbeck

Options
  • 01-06-2004 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

I've read a couple of books by Steinbeck up till now, but it's only recently that I've begun reading East of Eden and been struck, as if belted in the face with a wet kipper, from nowhere, by how prevalent the whole notion of biblical symbolism was for him.
    I don't know if any of you hvae read it, but if you've read the Grapes of Wrath then maybe you'll know what I'm talking about. THere's symbolism from tyhe bible galore and all of it totally clear and undiluted. I read Of Mice and men too long ago to recover anything i might have noticed about it. Funny though, to think a guy with such a rabid anti-religious posture could at the same time revere the book so much.

Advertisement