Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect Nokia to Laptop as a modem (3200 problems)

Options
  • 27-04-2004 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,
    I'm thinking about various ways in which to use my laptop to connect to the net without using a landline modem.
    Note: the corporate network has a neat 1800 dial in - so can even call that with a mobile.

I have tried using my Nokia 3650 as a modem (connected to the laptop via bluetooth), and it connected alright via the 1800 dialup, but the speed was pretty slow.

then - there is a nokia PCMCIA card which I plugged straight into the laptop, but apparently my SIM card was not enabled for High Speed - so it would only connect at 9.6 kbps, rather than 40.3 which it is apparently capable of.

Does anyone know what is required to enable my SIM card to permit the Higher speed capability for the PCMCIA card?
    (Is that what is meant by HSCSD ?)

And, what's the deal with GPRS ? I'm thinking it has no place in my evaluation given the crazy prices here ?

A typical session should ideally be for about 30-60mins and pull down 10Mb... or am I being overly optimistic.
    any ideas gladly considered,
    cheers.
    Nokia card

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭halkar

I think you only get fast speeds if you use the mobile operators settings and numbers and again I think they charge you per MB or minute,
    I use laptop and nokia phone via infrared at 9.6k calling eircom net with normal call charges. Only for checking mails and in situations where no land access possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Hi, with the 3650 phone you can use the 3650 Modem Setup[link] in order to configure your Dial-Up data call. The Nokia D211 Data Card has its own application for this configuration.

As you mention High Speed Data I'll assume you are on Vodafone (and with a contract)... to enable High Speed Data (for Vodafone contract customers) you can call their Data Support Team, on 1850 287 000 (Mon - Fri; 9:00am - 5:30pm). They can also activate your GPRS ISP service. If you are a business customer you may need to contact your Account Manager to get this set up .

If you have High Speed Data enabled on your account using the relevant Nokia Application you can set your call type (Analogue, ISDN v110, ISDN v120) and then the requested speed for the connection. It is also possible to set up the AT/Init strings yourself but if you are not familiar with these try the configuration application. The specific settings will depend on the modem you are dialling into so check with your IT / System Support personnel or engage in a bit of trial and error. If you have a 1800 number available this would be the best method...

With GPRS on Vodafone you will be charged you per KB, their current quoted charges offer only a 3MB inclusive data option (not with Sharetime) on Vodafone for the month costing about Eur 12.00 with each additional 1MB costing you about Eur 3.00 (so your first 10MB session would set you back about Eur 33, and each subsequent 10MB Eur 30).

O2 have no HSCSD (but can offer dial-up 14.4kb with some handsets), but they have more GPRS options available...

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

just got a Nokia 3200 and i cant get a dial up line connected. i am using an eircom connection and windows XP detects it as a modem over infrared but when you try to connect it says that there is a problem with the modem and make its turned on and working.

I will get on to vodafone and get HSCSD enabled on my phone. will this fix the problem? If i cant get my phone to act as a modem is there another way i can get on the internet via my mobile?

On a seperate matter why does it say to register for GPRS when i try to connect via this method?

***EDIT The post was a mess so it made it more clear. I am at work and it was a quick post.***

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

On the Nokia Communicator I could get 14.4 broswing the NET. I beleive this would have also applied using it as a PC modem. With one operator I had the option for 2 slots = twice call cost giving 28.8K.

When I changed to O2 they offered GPRS instead which the Nokia Communicator doesn't do. So with them I was limited to 14.4

Using it as a GSM modem via serial cable the speeds are supposed to be the same. Via IR port it is much slower, limited to 9,600.

GPRS you don't pay for time, but it can be horrendusly expensive as you pay for DATA each way like you do with X.25

One guy took an operator to court on basis that GPRS pricing was too obscure. He had run up £2,500 in a day and they automatically disabled his account then he was unable to complete an important business deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

What was he/she doing to run up a bill of €2.5K in one day?? Probably not business related!!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by irishgeo
    just got a Nokia 3200 and i cant get a dial up line connected. i am using an eircom connection and windows XP detects it as a modem over infrared but when you try to connect it says that there is a problem with the modem and make its turned on and working.

I will get on to Vodafone and get HSCSD enabled on my phone. will this fix the problem? If i cant get my phone to act as a modem is there another way i can get on the internet via my mobile?

the Nokia Modem Options element of the PC Suite allow you to set the data call type/speed, if you try and use a HSCSD connection without having this enabled on you account it will fail - contract customers can have HSCSD enabled on their accounts (not ready to go, although some have slipped through the net)

look at you tariff and see if using the Vodafone ISP +353876202222 to take advantage of an 'on network' call rate could be an option for you

also make sure you are using the correct modem driver that should have been installed by the Suite... you should be able to set up a standard GSM data call with the phone though if HSCSD isn't enabled
    On a seperate matter why does it say to register for GPRS when i try to connect via this method?

check with Vodafone you have the ISP GPRS access point enabled for your account (currently for contract only) - also make sure you are using the correct details the access point is: isp.vodafone.ie usernam/password is: Vodafone

Originally posted by watty
    On the Nokia Communicator I could get 14.4 broswing the NET. I beleive this would have also applied using it as a PC modem. With one operator I had the option for 2 slots = twice call cost giving 28.8K.

Communicators that have HSCSD offer a max 43.2kbps with a ISDN v.120 connection (only 28kpbs on Analog), so dialling into the Vodafone ISP which uses v.110 ISDN could offer a max 38.4kbps connection

Thankfully Vodafone HSCSD charges are for one call no mater how many slots are used, rather than taking a multiple call charging approach for a HSCSD connection...

BrianG

just got off the phone with Vodafone Data Services and i had to tell the guy how to do his job. He seemed quite surprised when i told him the Nokia 3200 came with HSCSD and he had to go off and check whether its was true.

He goes yeah you are right after looking it up.

Anyhow got the Nokia software off the web and HSCSD enabled so ill post later if i get connected.

Thanks for the number for the Vodafone Data Centre Dub Wireless.

ok lads help me before i crack up.

Got the modem installed in windows and it shows up as 3200 IRDA modem.

in the nokia modem options i can setup up all the settings and change them like modem and v.110.

but when i try to connect via windows connection manager all i get is and error which i have posted as attachment. on at 9.6k so thats the reason for the poor quaility.

i have even tried the HSCSD settings.

please help me before i crack up. i am away to england for the weekend so thanks in advance for any replies.

ok lads dont bother.

Nokia in their wisdom didnt bother putting a internal modem into the 3200 so its looks like i am stuck with a phone which wont do what i want it to do?

So whats Vodafone policy on returing phones. its no good to me and will i get to pick a new one.

Also will i have to return my number?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Micro1

ok lads dont bother.

Nokia in their wisdom didnt bother putting a internal modem into the 3200 so its looks like i am stuck with a phone which wont do what i want it to do?

So whats Vodafone policy on returing phones. its no good to me and will i get to pick a new one.

Also will i have to return my number?

Yoy could be in trouble getting an exchange.
    Did you get it with in 14/28 days?
    Did vodofone tell you it would work on the laptop?

If the awnser to the above is no, then theres no way they will return it. Mobiless just arnt returnable items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dublincastro

I have checked the Nokia web site and on the following link it confirms it supports (amoung other things) HSCSD & GPRS.

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,42727,00.html

Are you sure Vodafone have provisioned you for HSCSD on their network as this is a specific service that is normally requested to be activated?

ok lads dont bother.

borrowed a 3200 to give it a go both manually with Init strings and via the Nokia PC Suite

this is a strange one - for some reason Nokia list the handset as having CSD, HSCSD, GPRS, EGPRS as data bearers but then they don't list it as having support the Nokia Modem Options features...

XP sees a modem and installs the default IrDA modem driver, but no joy with query or connection, tracked down the 3200 IrDA driver (added when the PC Suite is installed) but it fails when trying to install it. don't think i'll have a chance to test it with another OS haven't much time today and I've to give the handset back tonight

edit: ok gave it a quick try with a Pocket PC PDA and no joy either with it's Generic IrDA modem driver which works ok with other Nokia handsets

unless this is going to be implemented in the future with a firmware update or PC Suite/Modem Driver update - or the decided not to roll out the features for some reason - perhaps contact Club Nokia...

Vodafone even state it supports HSCSD on their site so you could try and leverage this fact.. but keep in mind their small print would likely cover any errors/omissions

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Trying to get a friends nokia 3200 to work with his laptop. He bought the proper nokia DKU-5 data cable to do it properly. Ive installed that and its drivers, installed the latest nokia data suite and XP has all the latest services packs etc. The PC suite works fine but I cant find any option to get the PC to use the phone as a modem through the cable. When I try and do it thru IrDa the PC detects it as a modem allright but cant dial just says unable to create connection. Its wrecking my head because ive done this loads of times with other phones but i just cant do it with this one. Could it be the case that the 3200 just doesnt work as a modem?

Advertisement