Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

google image ad.s

Options
  • 01-06-2004 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭

Were these agreed to?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Whats wrong with a dating site, links to them are posted all over boards/.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

The baby blender i mean echzema (sp????!!!!) ones were just screaming "hi im from nigeria want in on my scheme"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

Google announced a few weeks back that their adsense ads would contains graphics as well, but only 3rd party sites would see them.

So Google, GMail, Blogger and Orkut will still have text only ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Kerio Personal Firewall blocks all these ads if anyones interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Oh I certainly am! God damned banner ads wasting .00001 nanoseconds of my time! I for one want to make sure boards doesn't make enough money to pay for itself!

You're a lamer Squall, a fucking leech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Originally posted by Squall
    Kerio Personal Firewall blocks all these ads if anyones interested.
    i got in bother for saying that firefox can block all ads. i wont be saying it again.:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Tbh the ads are pretty non-instrusive and I do think a dating service could be usefull to members of this community, if not essential *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Oh I certainly am! God damned banner ads wasting .00001 nanoseconds of my time! I for one want to make sure boards doesn't make enough money to pay for itself!

You're a lamer Squall, a ****ing leech.

Actually I put up the firewall for a completely different reason it just happened to block ads too. And for your information Boards is under a site exception tab so the ads here are not blocked. So next time dont jump to conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Evil Phil
    and I do think a dating service could be usefull to members of this community, if not essential *cough*
    But they would reproduce then - what are you thinking man? THERE WOULD BE MORE MUPPETS!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

What annoys me most about these damn things is the fact that the actual page itself doesn't load until the image ads have loaded first, making the whole thing even slower.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There is no connection between the download speed of the ad and the speed of the page from us afaik... it would take quite a feat to make one html item await anothers arrival in fact... I'm not sure you could do it easily at all...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by DeVore
    There is no connection between the download speed of the ad and the speed of the page from us afaik... it would take quite a feat to make one html item await anothers arrival in fact... I'm not sure you could do it easily at all...

DeV.

First off you're probably right and I don't know enough to contradict you. Just that when i surf boards on the Mac computers at college, that page won't show in IE untill all the graphics and stuff are loaded. It doesn't seem to be like IE on the PC where things appear as they load, maybe this is what he's talking about.

Btw I'm not complaining, I tend not to even notice the adds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Ah, those ads are often funny. I've seen one for a scientology "spiritual counselor" a few times on the philosophy board and I saw one for Bush stickers and flags somewhere on boards as well. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Yes. But a delay from googles ad server could delay the page rendering time on the client. I see it happen every now and then, the page seems about to load (background colour and boards.ie logo appears) and then the status bar says loading data from ads.google.whatever. Tables rendering speed is dependent on width and height of its sub-elements. If width and height are not specified for images, it can slow down the table rendering down until the browser figures out teh size itself. Since vBulletin is heavily tables based, it is a problem. It may be fixed when the boards.ie CSS re-design happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Squall
    Actually I put up the firewall for a completely different reason it just happened to block ads too. And for your information Boards is under a site exception tab so the ads here are not blocked. So next time dont jump to conclusions.

So you were recommending that people should get a program that blocks banner ads and then put boards.ie in as an exception? That makes so much sense given that the topic at hand is the banners on boards.ie. :rolleyes:

Every single time banner ads are mentioned on this board some lamer posts thinks he or she is being ever so helpful by informing everybody that it's possible to block banner ads.

Sorry about the confusion, in future I'll just advise you to STFU, you loser.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Squall and Amp, cut it out.

Others: I dont know if individual browsers (or versions or settings) might make it wait until it had everything before displaying the page as a fait-accompli but mine shows bits as it gets them (with the corresponding jerking around and resizing).

The google ads are sized in the HTML so the tables already know how big the element going in there is, so thats not an issue.

I love the ads now, I always look to see how closely they have matched the content of the text on the page to the ad (or not as happens when I get SAVE THE CANADIAN FORESTS ads on my blog ... :rolleyes: )

I prefer the image ads to the text ads though, I just prefer the splash of colour or something.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Originally posted by Boston
    when i surf boards on the Mac computers at college, that page won't show in IE untill all the graphics and stuff are loaded.

Yeah that was an issue with Internet Explorer, not sure has it been fixed with IE6 but it was a right pain when it refused to show the whole page until that last stupid image loaded.

I've seen the delay hostyle mentioned about the browser waiting for ads.google to give it the ad data too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Have you ever used a browser that wasn't Internet Explorer on Windows? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

tbh

DeV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement