Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G Registration Database/Content Filtering

Options
  • 01-06-2004 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Read an interesting article on enn.ie about the mobile networks in Ireland setting up a 3G registration database. The details are obviously a bit sketchy as to how exactly this will work, and I'm not quite sure what exactly it is they plan to do with this database, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt till I see more details.
    What is interesting is they're talking about content filters. Now they talk about URL filtering which is a pretty well known and used method to block content, but they also mention scanning pictures sent looking for skin tones (is the skin-tone detector racially 'agnostic' I wonder?). I'm presuming this would be a service you would sign up for, otherwise scanning everyones picture messages and blocking if you think theres too much skin might raise legal issues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I've not heard about that specifically and amsuing though it is, I dont think very practical. What about a hot sunny day and a bloke just wearing shorts? It would have to be clever enough to work out the gender and be race "agnostic"...

I know the networks are working on age verification systems so that they can be reasonably confident of not delivering adult material to under 18s, but I doubt they will be providing illegal content and probably dont care what 3rd parties provide independent of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by soiaf
    Read an interesting article on enn.ie

here's the link:
    Ireland requires 3G phone registration

and the press release:
    New Measures to Safeguard Children Using 3G Phones

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭soiaf

Originally posted by BigMoose
    but I doubt they will be providing illegal content and probably dont care what 3rd parties provide independent of themselves.

No, of course the operators won't be providing illegal content. What I was questioning was the legality of filtering everyones picture traffic. I'm guessing Irish law doesn't allow the operators to make decisions based on the content of messages. This would be like 'An Post' reading your letters and deciding whether the content was suitable for you or not. But I'm no expert in Irish law, so I can't say for sure.
    So this would have to be something you 'sign up' for.

And by the sounds of things, in that case (where the person has signed up) it looks like they would be scanning ALL messages.

I didnt think you were suggesting they would provide illegal content. My point was why would they be interested in scanning the content of messages? If they have an age verification system in place (which they are working on) then they can deliver what legal content they like to a verified handset. Its not in their interest to waste the money developing a system that filters on content.

Although I probably digress from the point of the actual post :cool: which was the legality of doing so should an operator be arsed... I would imagine it's not legal, but I also am no expert!

My point was why would they be interested in scanning the content of messages? If they have an age verification system in place (which they are working on) then they can deliver what legal content they like to a verified handset. Its not in their interest to waste the money developing a system that filters on content.

I had a re-read of the article, and what it seems they're going for is a system that would prevent people from receiving 'adult' material. So parents would be able to register that their children are not allowed to receive any 'adult' content. So, obviously they won't be allowed subscribe to adult services (due to the age verification system) but they also won't be allowed download from the internet, have the pictures sent to them via MMS (by other people) etc.
    Why would the operators do this? I imagine they would do anything to prevent any tarnishing of 3G, they've spent far too much money on the licenses etc.

• Advertisement

You are most likely spot on there. There are scare storys of 3G bringing a world of adult content to any kid who cares to want it, I can well imagine the operators would very much welcome something like this.

Whether it happens or not who knows :)

There are scare storys of 3G bringing a world of adult content to any kid who cares to want it,

You're absolutely right. Even with the current camera phones some of the hysteria spun in the media is quite amazing. And of course some of our beloved politicians have to jump on the bandwagon.
    When 3G phones arrive with their video abilities (ok I know some current cameras can already do this) and their more powerful processing abilities (so able to access 'proper' Internet etc.) I'm sure we can rely on the usual suspects to make a big song-and-dance condemning them.
    Which is precisely what the operators don't want.
    Now the basic ideas they're talking about make a lot of sense. Having an age verification system to prevent access/subscription to adult services? Sounds a good idea.
    Things like URL filters - again, I can see this being a winner on a opt-in basis.
    But things like content processing (analysing pictures) ? The idea sounds good in principle, I just don't think it could be done reliably.
    And I think the operators are leaving themselves open to bad press now talking about it - though if I was a betting person I'd say they'll do 'extensive' trials and then announce the technology was not-ready for the market yet.

The basis for me guessing that is as follows:
    Various crowds have claimed they have software that can do picture analysis of this sort, and they've let the press know about it.
    The press has run stories about it, some politicians have seized the opportunity to talk about something they know nothing about, but that they know that none of the public know anything about, so they can only look good.

So if the operators don't use the software,articles will appear in the newspapers (rags) saying how terrible the operators are, how they expose children to evil etc. Expect articles featuring 'distraught mother' and her 15 year old son looking at pictures of topless women, corrupting his innocent mind etc. [because the operators didn't have a system to detect it]

If they do use the software, then the newspapers will have all sorts of articles about how people have bypassed it, or how it stopped innocent pictures etc. Expect articles featuring 'distraught mother' and her 15 year old son looking at pictures of topless women, corrupting his innocent mind etc. [because the system failed to detect it]

Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

But with the 'we tried it, but the technology is not quite ready' approach, the operators can show they care, and blame the software.

But I might be a bit cynical :D

Advertisement