Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN Linking 2 remote offices

Options
  • 02-06-2004 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

We have 2 offices as shown in the attachment below.

They connect no problem but when site 1 connects to site 2 to access the server on that site (195.44.0.1) it times out even though each side can ping every PC other PC on each others network.

Site 2 can ping the server though.

Can anyone think of a reason behind this?

We are using 2 Dlink DI 304 routers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

What kind of server are you trying to connect to? A webserver? FTP? Fileserver?

It could be merely that the port required is blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Its a UNIX server that hosts our accounting package, email etc.

It worked with 2 old perle routers we had, but we are changing to the DLINKS to allow each site to have an internet connection on each site seperately (this wouldnt conflict would it?)

We used to be able to ping on the perle's but not the Dlinks even though we can ping other PCs.

Any ideas?

Can you connect to any other machine (VNC for example)? It looks like either:

1. Ports are being blocked.
    2. Routing rules are a bit arseways.

Try connecting on one site to a PC on another, on a web, FTP or VNC port. See what happens.

well we haven't setup any routes, but we just followed the manual and put in all the settings so i assumed that would be it.

Its the 1 server we can't even ping. I'll try your suggestion. Its a bit weird that its the only machiene we can't ping even though we can ping every other and people on the same network as the server can ping it.

Just out of curiousity, why not use a VPN?

At the moment yoiu have 2 sites with internet access AND and ISDN connection between the 2 sites.

It's fairly easy to go:

SITE1 --> VPN --> INTERNET <-- VPN <-- SITE2.

This would save you a fortune on ISDN dial up costs, which would only be needed if either or both of the DSL liks went down.

It's fairly easily done.

• Advertisement

well both are using dialup ISDN for internet access at the moment. And are not connected constantly.

How easy is it to set up a VPN? Any special software or additional equipment?

Aha! Unix machine that you can't ping from the remote site. I think I know the problem there.

I'll bet that the unix machine is not using DHCP, and if it is, the DLINK router is not it's default gateway. If you can ping every other machine except the unix machine from the remote site, then, chances are it's because the unix machine doesn't know how to route the ping back accross the link.

Check and see. Make sure that the unix machines default gateway is set to be the router. It should work then.

As for the VPN stuff, tis easy. If you have 2 old Pentium PCs lying about, it's even cheap.

Well the unix machiene isn't using DHCP but no1 here knows how to set the default gateway on it. :/

I wouldnt have said it was an issue as it worked no problem with 2 perle routers.

Would setting up a route on either of the routers work?

I'd prefer to get this sorted before considering a VPN.

You could always find out what the unix machine is using as it's default gateway, and chnage the IP address of the router to that value.

Poxy, but it would work.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by STaN
    Well the unix machiene isn't using DHCP but no1 here knows how to set the default gateway on it. :/
    How about
    route add default gw x.x.x.x

?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Jaden
    As for the VPN stuff, tis easy. If you have 2 old Pentium PCs lying about, it's even cheap.

Thx guys, got people pinging the server. However another problem has arisen.

So we're gonna have a look at the VPN option. I have 2 old pentiums here. How does 1 go about setting up a VPN. Does a dynamic public IP address creat a problem. What software etc do i need...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ro

Have a look at something like this for the dsl vpn:
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=59

The main thing to remember about connecting two sites with DSL with a VPN is the maximum connection you will get will be restricted by the upload rate. So even if you have the 2Mb DSL at both sites you'll only ever get 256k over the VPN. Also you should get static IPs for your DSL and you should ideally get both DSL connections from the same ISP.

well 1 site would be DSL and most likely the other would be ISDN as it as of yet, does not qualify for DSL...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ro

A better option for a VPN would be a wireless connection. The upload and download rates on Leap are the same so you would get the full 1 or 2Mb/s over the VPN.

Was the issue related to the default gateway settings on the unix PC?

About the VPN.....

If you have DSL, then you should really have a firewall too. For this I use

IpCop

It will act as a firewall, DHCP server, VPN and more. Download the ISO, burn it,and stick it into the CDROM bay of and old Pentium PC with 2 network cards in it. Just follow the instructions, and your good to go in 15 minutes.

It works by allocating one Network Card as "Green" and the ther as "Red". Green is the LAN side, Red is facing the internet (ie plugged into your router or DSL ethernet port).

The whole thing is generally "setup and forget about it", and is controlled via web interface.

Once you have both sites connecting to the internet, I'd talk you through the VPN stuff in 10 minutes. The VPN will work with only one static IP, but your better off with a static each end. For the money it will save you on ISDN charges, the static IP option will pay for itself in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

IpCop looks like a clone of monowall

Jaden have you used monowall if so, how does it compare to IpCop

Advertisement