Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Queiroz to return

• 02-06-2004 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

It looks like Queiroz has agreed to return to United as Assistant Manager

Queiroz to Return
    Ex-Real Madrid coach Queiroz agrees Man Utd return
    tribalfootball.com - June 2, 2004

Sacked Real Madrid coach Carlos Queiroz will return to Manchester United as Sir Alex Ferguson's assistant.
    The Guardian says Queiroz informed United of his decision last night and hopes to fly to Manchester this week to finalise a two-year contract.

Two weeks after being sacked as coach at the Bernabéu, Queiroz will take the place of Walter Smith on the backroom staff. Smith's contract expired on Monday.

I have to say that I'm happy to hear that because the players were all singing his praises as a coach. Hopefully, he'll be able to get the players back to full form again!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

If he goes back he is 100% next in line for top job.

But isnt it a bit weird to go back to an old job after leaving for better.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

He's probably been told that he's a shoe in for the top spot when Fergie retires.

It'd be great to see him as manager with Keano earning his stripes as his assistant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Been saying this all season he wud return but I though it wud be as manager! tink Fergie only will have next season and then off unless he take the Championship off Arsenal which I tink they will!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

One more point!! Madrid are gobs**ts for letting him go!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Great news, He did well in his last stint at United and his return can only be good for ths club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Good news - it was odds on when Smith was appointed as a stop gap
    From a few months back he was always going to be sacked at the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Glad Carlos is back in the fold, maybe as Assistant for two seasons, then let Ferguson bow out with grace, with a ready made successor in place.

He was hard done by at Real.

Another good thing about this.

When Ferguson announced his plans to retire a few years ago, the team went into decline, as the players were unsure about the future. This appointment, and it's apparent repercussions, mean that there will be a smooth change over in management when the time comes for Ferguson to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by neilbrady79
    Been saying this all season he wud return but I though it wud be as manager! tink Fergie only will have next season and then off unless he take the Championship off Arsenal which I tink they will!!
    I can't see him being sacked or resigning, he'll see out his contract IMO.

BTW - They have a lot more of a reason to sack Queiroz than they did for del Bosque

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

fergie only has a one year contract at the moment!!! and the only way he'll will get an extension is by winning the champions league again!!!imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Didn't Fergie sign a new rolling contract on top of the one year deal?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by woosaysdan
    fergie only has a one year contract at the moment!!! and the only way he'll will get an extension is by winning the champions league again!!!imo

Actually at the moment fergie is contracted to United for at least the next 2 years. His existing contract runs until July 2005 . His new one which he signed last January is a one year rolling contarct commences then. I haven't heard of an any performance clauses wriiten into his new contract and I doubt he would have signed if there were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Last time a man untied assistant took over from a their previous boss they didnt last....dunno if carlos quireoz would do any better, glad to see him back in the backstaff team tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by johnor
    Last time a man untied assistant took over from a their previous boss they didnt last....dunno if carlos quireoz would do any better, glad to see him back in the backstaff team tho

Cite for this?

In the early 70s Wilf Mc Guinness was the last united manager to be promoted from within the club and he didn't do very well. However Queiroz is different because he came to United as assistant manager with a proven reputation as a coach. His year in Madrid will have done him no harm either gaining experience of managing at the very highest level of the game. I think he's a shoe in for the United job when Fergie decides its time to retire.

The word is that Queiroz has signed a three year contract as Assistant Manager and will eventually enable him to become Manager. It Looks like Fergie will be gone in 2 or 3 years.

Apparently he also said he is sorry he did not leave Real In january as he maintains they are more interested in thier media image than football. He also said that if he had the players that were out on loan available he would have won some silverware.

Now is that an Ideal replacement for Fergie or What?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

While I rate Queiroz quite highly as a coach I don't look forward to him becoming manager. Just think he lacks that little something. I was more impressed with Steve McClaren as Ferguson's assistant than him tbh.!

Advertisement