Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ranieri in talks with Spurs

• 02-06-2004 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

I hope he stays in the Premiership .... I feel he's a great personality to have around!!

Ranieri to Spurs?
    Tottenham in 2-hour meeting with ex-Chelsea boss Ranieri
    tribalfootball.com - June 2, 2004

Tottenham are believed to be in talks with former Chelsea manager Claudio Ranieri.
    The Evening Standard says Ranieri met Spurs chairman Daniel Levy at the Hilton Hotel, near Heathrow, yesterday to discuss the vacancy left by Glenn Hoddle last September.

Also present were Spurs vice-chairman Paul Kemsley, sporting director Frank Arnesen and Ranieri's UK agent Phil Smith. The five men spent nearly two hours discussing the Spurs job.

It's also been revealed that before the meeting, Levy, Kemsley and Arnesen held a mini-summit of their own in the hotel's coffee shop to discuss the Dane's new role at the club. Sources overheard the trio debating topics including transfer policy, managerial candidates and areas where the team needs strengthening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

i thought he was holding talks with Valencia

although i would like to see him in the premiership

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Seems like Valencia and Spurs want him....tink he said earlier in the season he wanted to stay in PL

Wud be a great move for both I think if he goes to Spurs! the sort of person the Spurs fans should warm to and also will keep me amused with his interviews!! luv da man!! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

just seen it on bbc
    "I had a meeting with Spurs and they have a very good project," he said. "But Valencia are my former team and if it's possible I'll come back with them," he told BBC Sport.

looks like he will be heading to valencia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

most people believe that this talk was a set up to help both parties.

this is a post from one of the spurs forums:

The great manager cover up…

Today has seen the admission that we were 'talking' to Ranieri, and then the denial that he was going to be our future manager. However, things don't add up...

If Ranieri really wanted to come to us, he wouldn't have needed to go through some public process before saying 'no thanks'.

Ok, so here is the conspiracy, which seems ever so feasible, and probably what actually happened, give or take a few minor details.

Mr Ranieri, gave his 'no' answer to Tottenham before yesterday, probably a week or so ago.

Now, with Benitez leaving Valencia, they needed a new boss, and look, how good... Ranieri has just got the sack and is available...

Since the reports of Ranieri to Valencia come out days ago there was only one job he was going to take. He today said:

"I had a meeting yesterday with Spurs and they have a very good project but Valencia is my former team.

"If it's possible to come back to Spain, I will.

"I'm very keen on Valencia - it's my home.

If the theory is correct, he'd already given his no to us. Yet all of a sudden, practically a minute by minute account of yesterdays 'secret meeting' appears in the Evening standard.

The venue for the meeting was the Heathrow Hotel. And if I’m not mistaken the 'warm up' was in the coffee shop over Bacon Bagels and coffee. Present were Levy, Kemsley and Arnesen. And again the word convenient pops up. Isn't it convenient that somebody 'heard' everything that was said?

And secondly, with the arrival of the now popular face of Ranieri, he was immediately spotted. He went down into the large business rooms, which were designed for big executive meetings; for the 'main event'.

On the way out, they were all caught on camera, and there were quotes from Levy and Ranieri.

Since when has this EVER happened before? We're generally good at keeping things quiet. Since when has talks with a 'new' manager been 'clocked' by the media like this?

The meeting would work both ways. Ranieri is close to completing a deal with Valencia, and it would help raise their offer for him.

And for Daniel Levy, he thinks he is being very clever in playing games with the Media and keeping people off the scent. He also likes to be seen to be doing something - so long as he isn't seen doing what he is REALLY doing.

And it would also offer Claudio Ranieri an opportunity to get a little dig at Chelsea and present Levy with 'inside' information on Chelsea (as we all know Levy loves to know how other clubs work so he can copy elements for Tottenham)... and also let him know what players are likely to leave, and whether they are any good. Not the reason for the meeting but while they're at it; why not?!

The Evening Standard has long been known to be the 'voice' of Tottenham Hotspur. They were the first people to report what seemed wild speculation regarding Trapattonni and Hughes, even though it is now emerging it was practically done with Trap taking the Arnesen 'daddy' role.

So I will part with a message to Daniel Levy...

'Daniel me old son, you may think you're clever playing games in the media, and keeping them guessing, but you're also playing with loyal Spurs fans emotions, I don't doubt you'll deliver, but stop pissing about.'"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

the man will go back to Valencia , he still left a job there that he never did finish , well he was forced out of a job
    again he dug the foundations just never built the house

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

The deal with Valencia is done since yesterday - nothing will be formally announced until Chelsea cough up the money owed.

Advertisement