Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mourinho Signs the Dotted Line...

• 02-06-2004 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

From here
    Chelsea appoint Mourinho

Chelsea have confirmed Portuguese coach Jose Mourinho as their new manager on a three-year contract.

Mourinho takes over from the sacked Claudio Ranieri at Stamford Bridge after quitting as coach of Porto.

Reports say Chelsea agreed a £1.7m compensation package with Champions League winners Porto.

"Chelsea represent a fantastic challenge for me. It is a great club with a world-class squad of players," the 41-year-old Mourinho said.

And demonstrating the self-confidence that has marked his rise, he said: "We have top players and, sorry if I'm arrogant, but we now have a top manager."

Mourinho added: "The English Premiership is recognised as the best league in the world and I am really excited at the prospect of competing week in, week out at the highest level in England as well as in Europe.

"I have been asked how I will cope with the pressure, how I will cope with these players, how I will cope with the urgent ambition to win titles.

And Mourinho, who had also been linked with Liverpool, continued: "English football is a big passion for me. There were some big clubs chasing me very hard.

"This was a fantastic position for me and the people in my boat, and Chelsea was a perfect choice for me.

"I don't want to sound arrogant, but I think I am a special manager because I have won the Champions League."

But he hinted that the vast Chelsea squad will be reduced.

"If all the names I was supposed to be signing arrive, I would have a squad of 50 players.

"I won't work with big squads. I like small squads. I will have 21 outfield players, plus the goalkeepers, because this is the right amount for the specific work we want to do."

Mourinho also confirmed members of the Porto backroom staff will come to join him.

He has long been touted as the successor to Ranieri, who was dismissed after four years in charge despite a contract until 2007.

And Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon was delighted to have got his man.

He said: "The appointment of Jose Mourinho is all about building on the foundations which we have already established at Chelsea.

"He represents the new generation of football coaches and we are convinced he can take us to the next level, both in England in Europe.

"His record of sustained success makes him perfect for what we want to achieve at Chelsea."

Ranieri sacked

Meanwhile, negotiations on Ranieri's pay-off from Chelsea have yet to reach a conclusion.

Kenyon said: "The situation is simple. We will honour Claudio Ranieri's contract in full. We have had discussions over the last 48 hours.

"There is no question, we will treat it in any other manner but unfortunately there has been no conclusion."

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

You beat me to it Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

where do this quotes come from, why do you never comment on them, are these my hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"I won't work with big squads. I like small squads. I will have 21 outfield players, plus the goalkeepers, because this is the right amount for the specific work we want to do."

Ouch, Chelsea summer sale starts soon!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Anyone see the annoucement on Sky yet? did he really say this? if he did class! who will be Chelsea manager in 12 months when Kenyon the gobs**t buy another load of waster! haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

So Bobby Robson's student has hit the big time.

I await his downfall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

If any players go to United, then serious questions will be asked over the quality of job that Kenyon is doing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

His first Press conference and i already dont like him.
    And demonstrating the self-confidence that has marked his rise, he said: "We have top players and, sorry if I'm arrogant, but we now have a top manager."

Cant belive he said that. I think he will find it hard in the premiership. he will be expected to win every game deliver trophys. he must better second place in the premiership and better the semi-final place in the Champions League. I'm looking forward to the mine games with Fergie starting up again.

Kenyon said Chelsea will give Mourinho time...why?? he should get what Claudio got. Roman wanted Claudio to deliver the impossible and Mourinho should be under the same pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Originally posted by Dewey
    His first Press conference and i already dont like him.

Cant belive he said that. I think he will find it hard in the premiership. he will be expected to win every game deliver trophys. he must better second place in the premiership and better the semi-final place in the Champions League. I'm looking forward to the mine games with Fergie starting up again.

Kenyon said Chelsea will give Mourinho time...why?? he should get what Claudio got. Roman wanted Claudio to deliver the impossible and Mourinho should be under the same pressure.

Agree 100% with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Comments like that will eventually come back to haunt him if he is not more sucessful than claudio , opposing fans will make sure of that even if chelsea's dont. He has a tough act to follow. Ranners must be one of the most universally liked Managers in the game and mourinho has to win the premiership to be seen as a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I don't like Mourinho, he's too arrogant for his own good:

"Mourinho on Claudio Ranieri's opinion that he may struggle to make the jump from Portuguese football to Premiership:
    I heard that and I suggest if one of you is Mr Ranieri's friend or has his number you should call him and explain to him that for a team to win the European Cup it has to beat many teams from many countries.

I did not win the cup playing against 20 Portuguese teams.

I played and beat a team from his own country, Italy, from your country and the one he was working in, England.

And to win the Uefa Cup that was the same kind of thing."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Aye he sounds like a right tosser.....ill give him 6 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Nice guys will not win you championships Vialli a perfect example, who lost the respect of the players in the dressing room. Claudio did a great job but still didn't have a trophy to show to it. If he did win something during his tenure it would have made Kenyon and Ambro's decision a bit more difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Originally posted by Dewey

Claudio got 4 years (bar 6 games) to manage cfc, which , in modern football terms is considered a fair amount of time to deliver the goods. A lot was achieved under him and I personally would have liked him to have been kept on but at this level of football you can only be judged on the basis on winning things. I'm not saying that this is fair but thats the way it is. It is vitial that Mourinho does get time to do his work, especially if he is too make the drastic changes to the squad as he has alsready hinted.

As for his press conference, it was unusual to say the least, and has set a lot of people hoping he will fall flat on his face so that his words come back to haunt him. I don't think that he will loose too much sleep over these people though!

Advertisement