Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Jamaica

• 02-06-2004 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

from eleven-a-side.com:
    Kinsella to captain Ireland against Reggae Boyz

Mark Kinsella will wear the captain’s armband in the absence of both regular skipper Kenny Cunningham and vice-captain Matt Holland against Jamaica at the Valley on Wednesday evening.

The 31-year-old midfielder, without a club since being released by West Bromwich Albion at the end of the Nationwide League season, will hope that a good performance his old stomping ground at the Valley will help him secure his immediate future.

Irish manager Brian Kerr has confirmed that the former Aston Villa man will captain the side from midfield, with Sheffield United’s Paddy Kenny certain to make his first senior start in goal and Gary Doherty and Andy O’Brien to form a new-look partnership in the centre of defence.

John O’Shea, unavailable for the games against Nigeria and Romania through injury, has been passed fit and will start, with Alan Lee and Clinton Morrison paired in attack as Robbie Keane gains a well-earned rest.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Since we're without 19 members of the first choice squad it won't be too hard to choose the team, I'll go with:

________________________Kenny______________________

Maybury_________O'Brien___________Doc__________O'Shea

Rowlands_________Kinsella_________Doyle___________Reid

_______________Lee_____________Morrison____________

I can't see us scoring. Reid is the main playmaker in the team and will have to be at his best. If we do score it should be Reid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I'd go with O'Shea at right back and Clive Clarke on the left.

Would love to see O'Shea at centre midfield alongside Kinsella, but thats not goina happen :p

Maybury will not get ahead of Finnan and Carr at RB and I can't see Clarke getting the LB spot unless there's about 3/4 injuries. O'Shea had a good game at RB against Poland so I'd like him to carry whatever confidence he got from that game over to the left.:)

A lot of the papers think Douglas will partner Kinsella in midfield but I don't see why. He's been average every time I've seen him while Doyle has been playing superb football for Coventry.

I'd also like to see McGeady getting a full half to see what he can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Is this being televised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

A paltry 9.99 on Setanta sport!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i think i'll watch the highlights on the news!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

The Unity cup, more like a teacup. Does it have any reflection on the strength of the Irish squad. Its just a couple of matches to boost brian Kerrs ego:ninja:

Originally posted by TIPPTOP
    Its just a couple of matches to boost brian Kerrs ego:ninja:

mmmm....a 3-0 defeat is really ego boosting.

Originally posted by TIPPTOP
    The Unity cup, more like a teacup. Does it have any reflection on the strength of the Irish squad. Its just a couple of matches to boost brian Kerrs ego:ninja:
    Seriously? A couple of 3-0 defeats would do wonders for his ego.:rolleyes: Kerr didn't arrange these matches, it was the FAI looking for a few quid.

"Does it have any reflection on the strenght of the Irish squad?" - Well since we have 19 players unavailable for tonights match and can still put a team together it shows that we have choices when players are unavailable. 19 players will never be missing for a competitive match but its a chance to test the youth. Other than Kinsella the oldest player is 25.

I'm not a fan of having 4 matches so close together at the end of a season but I still can't wait to watch the young lads play. I'd never miss an Ireland match just because we haven't got a full team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

but in all fairness it is a micky mouse competition!!! and imo kerr could of put out a better team against nigeris and bet them too!!!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by woosaysdan
    but in all fairness it is a micky mouse competition!!! and imo kerr could of put out a better team against nigeris and bet them too!!!
    It's not for the competition. Forget about the two words "Unity Cup", its two friendlies. Kerr didn't want to put out a better team, why should he? He has to give the other players a run out. He didn't go into these two matches really wanting to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

Ireland team to play Jamica:

Kenny

Maybury
    O'Brian
    Doc
    O'Shea

Barrett
    Kinsella
    A.Quinn
    A.Reid

Morrison
    Lee

ok team. I thought Barrett was a striker??? why isnt Rollands playing? hope McGeady comes on. This Unity Cup is a waste of time for Ireland. why couldnt we have the Romania game on thursday and have the Holland game a week later. those fat cats at the fai just wanted money.:mad:

Also, Holland match is live on RTE2 at 6:45.

Barrett plays in midfield most of the time for Coventry but he doesn't even get his game for them. Alan Quinn has no future with Ireland IMO so I would have went with Doyle who at 22 is a better prospect. The rest of the positions pretty much pick themselves.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Alan Quinn has no future with Ireland

Why do you think that?? he is on the verge of signing for Sheiffeld United and they will push for promotion. i havent seen alot of Quinn so its un fair for me to comment but he gets rave reviews.

Originally posted by Dewey
    Why do you think that?? he is on the verge of signing for Sheiffeld United and they will push for promotion. i havent seen alot of Quinn so its un fair for me to comment but he gets rave reviews.
    He's a left winger so he has a lot of competition for that spot. I never knew he could play in the middle but again too much competition for a MC spot. He's the same age as Duff and hasn't lived up to him potential IMO.

Anyone watchin the game then...or is it on the rayjo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

setanta is the only way to go.

1-0 Ireland, Graham Barrett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

nice :D . and I was just gonna post how highly I rate Barret and wonder why he dosent get his game up front at Coventry .

HT. Great goal by Barret from outside the box. Pretty average by everyone really but they are all up for it especially the front two. Hopefully McGeady gets a decent run out. Morrison should have scored at least one BTW, he hit the bar a yard away from the goal.

Also, full time in Switzerland -v- Germany, the Swiss got beat 2-0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

1-0 result, good stuff considering what kerr had at his disposal. Some players there I never have heard of before tbh.

I didnt see the match but im sure it wasnt the best game in world considering the state of the pitch and we were playing for the wooden spoon and pride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Rep of Ire 1-0 Jamaica

Graham Barrett put Ireland ahead with a 27th minute goal. Graham Barrett's first half goal earned the Republic of Ireland a deserved win over Jamaica in Wednesday's concluding Unity Cup game at The Valley.

Barrett struck in the 26th minute with a superb low shot from 25 yards after he had been given far too much space.

Clinton Morrison also hit the woodwork in the first half and forced a good save out of Jamaican goalkeeper Donovan Rickets before the break.

Marlon King tested Irish goalkeeper Paddy Kenny in the first half.

The Irish started with seven changes from Saturday's 3-0 defeat by Nigeria - the Republic's heaviest for nine years.

Brian Kerr's changes including giving a first start to Sheffield United goalkeeper Kenny while Barrett was included in midfield.

There were several familiar faces in the Reggae Boyz line-up, with Nottingham Forest's Marlon King, Watford midfielder Micah Hyde and Charlton striker Kevin Lisbie all featuring.

The Irish missed a glorious chance to take the lead in the eighth minute after Jamaican keeper Ricketts had failed to deal with a routine cross into the area.

John O'Shea missed Saturday's 3-0 defeat by Nigeria

The ball fell to Barrett, who headed it back into the six-yard box but Morrison, who was standing inches from the goal-line, somehow managed to nod the ball onto the bar.

Morrison battled to atone for his miss and he brought a good save out of Ricketts after he had cut inside the Jamaican defence.

At the other end, Kenny was well-positioned to save a snapshot from King after some neat play on the edge of the box by the Jamaican.

However, from the next attack in the 26th minute Ireland went into the lead with Barrett scoring his second international goal by firing a low shot from 25 yards past Ricketts.

Jamaican defender Ian Goodison then nearly gifted Morrison a present on the stroke of half-time when he failed to control a cross into the penalty area, but Ricketts was alert enough to pounce on the lose ball.

Brian Kerr sent on Stoke defender Clarke for O'Shea at the start of the second half to win his second cap while Jamaica were unchanged.

The second half was a largely dull affair with the arrival of a streaker giving the 6,000 some unexpected light-hearted entertainment.

King fired wide from the edge of the box as the hour mark approached following good link-up play between Lisbie and Burton.

That was the Charlton forward's last meaningful contribution as he was replaced by Bolton's Jermaine Johnson soon afterwards.

Jamaica:
    Ricketts, Damion Stewart, Neil, Goodison, King, Chin-Sue, Hyde, Reid, Lisbie, Fabian Davis, Burton. Subs: Aaron Lawrence, Whitmore, Jermaine Johnson, Langley, Bernard, Dobson, Claude Davis.

Rep of Ireland:
    Kenny, Maybury, O'Shea, Doherty, O'Brien, Kinsella, Barrett, Alan Quinn, Lee, Morrison, Andy Reid. Subs: Colgan, Finnan, Rowlands, Clarke, Thompson, Holland, McPhail, McGeady, Doyle, Robbie Keane.

Referee: R Styles (Hampshire)

sporting life

McGeady came on for the last 10 minutes so at least that's settled. Barrett and Lee were the two best players for Ireland. Morrison worked very hard. Maybury is probably the lowest in confidence of all our players, he never goes forward and only touches the ball when needs be.

I think Lee could be the best partner for Keane. Keane always played his best football with Niall Quinn beside him and Lee is very similar to Quinn in every part of his game. Elliot would be my first choice to partner Keane for the future, even ahead of McGeady. McGeady is a player thats best suited to playing behind the front two.

BTW - Kerr was absolutely delighted with tonights win. I never seen him show so much emotion after a match.

I'm happy that we won. Delight Barrentt scored in his first start. Disappointed Morrison didnt score. i know he worked really hard in the match and he deserves credit for that but i thought going up against Jamaica, it was a chance for him to score 1 or 2. I listen on the radio and i heard A.Quinn played really well.

Now i would like for Ireland to get aleast a draw on saturday aganist the dutch. if we did get that(fingers crossed) it would be a brilliant few weeks for Ireland with them only losing 1 game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

depending on who plays we can beat the dutch never mind a draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Anyone actually watch the game? was it any use? how did A. Quinn play? he is class and sorry to see him leave the Wednesday........

In regards to quetion further back he can play on the left or in the centre of midfield as an attacking midfielder!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Originally posted by bizmark

Well said bizmark! Bring on the dutch!

Originally posted by bizmark
    Well Kerr said he'll his best team out for the Romania match and the Dutch match so the team should look like this:

_______________________Given____________________

Finnan_______Cunningham_______O'Brien_______O'Shea

????__________Holland________????____________Reid

______________Morrison______Keane_______________

Holland beat the Faroe's 3-0 in their last match but were supposed to have played crap against the part timers. If we had the team that played against Romania we'd give them a run for their money but unfortunately the two United players are gone home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Anyone hazard a guess at filling in the blanks. At this stage I forget who's in the squad.

I suppose one option would be to push Finnan forward to midfield, and give Maybury, or maybe Clarke a full back slot.

• Advertisement

_______________________Given____________________

Finnan_______Cunningham_______O'Brien_______O'Shea

Barrett__________Holland________Reid_________A.Quinn

______________Morrison______Keane_______________

Think that Barrett is going to get another chance!! Kerr was very impressed with him....Reid and Quinn on the other side and they can interchange poistion

Originally posted by The Rooster
    Anyone hazard a guess at filling in the blanks. At this stage I forget who's in the squad.
    Midfielders: A.Reid, Holland, Kinsella, McPhail, Rowlands, Douglas, Barrett, Quinn, Doyle.

Neil's team is probably the best we'd get from those players. I'd say Kerr will go with Kinsella in the centre and Reid on the left though.

Wud hope Kerr will not start Kinsella. Use this game for youth and give them a chance! Kinsella/Holland midfield partnership has already been tried and tested and hasnt come up to standard.....let young Reid/Quinn have a chance in the middle

Hopefully anyway

Just read in the Irish Times that Kinsella won't take part in the match as he's going to his son's first communion. Douglas is injured so is also unavailable. Thats good news anyway. I'd prefer to see someone else in midfield, I havn't too been impressed by Douglas at Blackburn.

So that leaves Quinn/Reid, McPhail or Doyle for the central midfield spot and Barrett and Rowlands for the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Is Roy Keane definitely not in the squad for Saturday?

Roy Keane is on hols....only played Romania game....O'Shea isnt travelling wither....Ankle injury!! who is left at this stage? haha.......

• Advertisement

Was on eout!! Maybury in for O'Shea beacuse of injury!! haha

Advertisement