Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help with feeding

• 02-06-2004 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Can anyone out there give me advice on feeding my German Shephard. I feed him twice a day with a complete dog food. However a lot of people tell me that i am feeding him too much. I find that he eats what he wants and doesnt if he is not hungry. He is 4 and is a well built dog but is not over-weight. Any help would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Sounds about right. I take it you're only feeding him as much as is recommended by the manufacturer. As long as he's getting plenty of exercise and is neither skinny or fat he should be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

twice a day? only puppies or nursing mothers need to be fed more than once a day - I currently have 9 dogs 1 rotweiller, 1 lab, 1 lab x newfoundland, 1 setter x ridgeback, 2 gun dogs & 3 terriers thay get fed at 8pm every night - they get bakers complete & for variety we give then 3 cans of brandy between all 9 dogs (this just helps vary the flavour) We had a perfect show quality sheppard & he was fed the same - was very healthy & very strong - as are all the other doggies - at least 2 of my current dogs were starved before we rescued them the rottie Duke & the lab x newfie Teddy - they were both skin & bones & were given an extra meal until they put on weight.

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Enilorac

I tend to disagree on the feeding only once a day aspect. i think that forcing the whole day's food allocation on the digestive system in one big meal is a false economy and inefficient. The food won't be digested as well as if the meal was split into two meals. The dog has an awful lot of food to process, and this job can be made far easier for everybody (dog, stomach, bowel etc) if the food is split into two meals. Think about it...how uncomfortable would you feel sitting down to a whole day's dietary and nutritional requirements in one meal...why do you feel it is any different for your dogs?

In my house my adult dogs are fed twice a day, 7am and 7pm. Pups are fed 4 meals a day from weaning to 3 months, then three meals a day upto to 6 months of age.
    Pregnant and lactating bitches are fed little and very often according to their appetite, from the fifth week of pregnancy. Everybody gets a sardine thrown in on Mondays & Fridays

That's how it is in my house anyway...and my guys all show,work and breed.

To "noels little bu" - As long as the total amount you are feeding him is in line with the food manufacturers guidelines then what & how you are feeding your dog is perfectly fine!

HTH

Advertisement