Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New road offers relief to South Dublin traffic

Options
  • 02-06-2004 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

from the Irish Times.

By Elaine Edwards Last updated: 02-06-04, 13:05

A two-kilometre link road to relieve traffic congestion in the south Dublin suburbs of Sandyford, Stillorgan and Dundrum was opened this afternoon.

The Minister for Transport, Mr Brennan, opened the Drummartin link road from the M50 into Sandyford Business Park.

The road is the first section of the €195 million M50 South Eastern Motorway to be opened.

Also from today, two-way traffic will be allowed onto the 1.5 km 'green route' running westwards from the proposed Sandyford Interchange to the existing Ballinteer Interchange of the motorway.

"This is the first step towards relieving congestion that has been a feature of the Sandyford, Stillorgan and Dundrum areas for some years and we are looking forward to further elements of the motorway opening up over the next six to nine months," said Councillor Trevor Matthews, cathaoirleach of Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council.

When completed next year, the M50 South Eastern Motorway will link the M11 to the M1, completing the c-ring bypass of Dublin.

The controversy surrounding the section of the motorway due to be built over the medieval ruins of Carrickmines Castle has yet to be resolved, however.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Nice road.
    They need to recalibrate the traffic lights though.

It was a bit weird, I didn't know they had opened the road and my Dad brought me out there, but we went from the industrial estate down to the Upper Kilmacud Road, and I was actually lost. Funny being lost in place you've lived all your life.

Advertisement