Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do some people hate cats?

• 02-06-2004 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭

A lot of the time, when I tell people I keep cats, I get a negative response, often people saying they're evil!!! Why do some people hate cats so much? Some of my cats have even been poisoned, and the vet reckoned it was no accident.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

its wierd alright.
    i absolutely love cats, i guess their personality isn't as immediately obvious as that of a dog...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Cats kill birds (everyone love birds), defecate in your garden, fight at night when you are asleep and wake you up, are cruel to mice and other small creatures, are friendly only when they want food, scratch your carpet and furniture and making annoying meow noises when you least want it. Also they sleep all day when you want them to amuse you. These are some of the reasons people hate cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

Originally posted by kmick
    Cats kill birds (everyone love birds), defecate in your garden, fight at night when you are asleep and wake you up, are cruel to mice and other small creatures, are friendly only when they want food, scratch your carpet and furniture and making annoying meow noises when you least want it. Also they sleep all day when you want them to amuse you. These are some of the reasons people hate cats.

Plus they're EVIL!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

cats suck tbh,no loyalty,theyll f*ck off to whoever feeds them,plus you can never trust a cat
    DOGS RULE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Cats are hated for their selfish personality!
    They'll do what ever it takes to get what they want.

They say if you die in a house and have a pet cat trapped there with you it will eat you to survive whereas a dog in the same situation will lie down and die beside you!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

They say if you die in a house and have a pet cat trapped there with you it will eat you to survive whereas a dog in the same situation will lie down and die beside you!
    tis true,happened to me once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

dogs are sycophantic and stupid.
    much like their owners.

cats on the other hand are clever, superior, and have personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Domestic cats rarely kill birds and mice once they're told it's wrong by their owner. And they only leave 'presents' of dead mice on the doorstep because the see it as a gift to their owner! True!

I'd rather a cat went to the toilet in my garden than a dog, a dog will piss and **** all over the place, a cat will dig a little hole and then cover it in when it's gone to the toilet.

Maybe you live in a stray cat hotspot but the only animals that wake me up are fscking annoying dogs barking at their own shadows!

And as for them not being awake to amuse you...wow. People like you shouldn't be allowed to keep pets. They're not a TOY.

I think you're just trolling, however, so in answer to neev, I remember hearing someone interviewed who was asked this question and he said it was the way they move their spines when they go around corners or through a tight space, and right enough it is sort of odd looking.

But I love cats, they're so affectionate and cute, and they don't stink of crap like dogs ALWAYS do, nor do they slobber germs all over your clothes like dogs, and you can always leave a cat to its own devices while you're out at work, if you left many dogs on their own they'd have the house wrecked by the time you got back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

For the same reason that some people hate selfish people. They're selfish, uncaring creatures.

You always hear stories of how cats outsmart dogs. Let me first say that i bear no personal malice to cats in general my sister had one and I thought he was quite nice. I had a dog though who regularily used to chase cats. If he caught them he would kill them. I had to bury cats 4 times when he trotted home with one. I tried to stop him doing it but he just loved it so much I figured let him go with his natural instincts. I mean cats kill birds for sport so live by the sword die by the sword.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Cats kill birds (everyone love birds)
    instinct.
    and i for one hate birds!
    /me shakes fist at that little ****ing blue tit that starts knocking on my window whenever i'm trying to sleep off a hangover.
    defecate in your garden
    poor training
    fight at night when you are asleep and wake you up
    usually strays. or toms that haven't been neutered.
    are cruel to mice and other small creatures
    instinct. if dogs weren't so slow and stupid, they'd be doing the same.
    are friendly only when they want food
    what kind of crappy cats do you know? mine are always coming up to me looking for attention.
    scratch your carpet and furniture
    yet more instinctive behaviour. if you have a cat locked up in a house all day, it's only fair to get a scratching post and teach it how to use it.
    and making annoying meow noises when you least want it.
    yeah, thats a good reason to hate them alright, might as well just have their voice boxes removed.
    which is worse. a soft mewl, or an ear-rending bark?
    Also they sleep all day when you want them to amuse you. These are some of the reasons people hate cats.
    IIIIINNNNNSTIIIINNNCT!!!

Originally posted by eth0_
    Domestic cats rarely kill birds and mice once they're told it's wrong by their owner. And they only leave 'presents' of dead mice on the doorstep because the see it as a gift to their owner! True!

This is not true I watched a program David Attenborough did - domestic cats kill huge amounts of birds. The thought that a cat would not kill birds after their owner tells it not too is hilarious. They just follow their natural hunting instinct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The real reason some ppl hate cats is cos they fear the moggie is smarter than they are! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Originally posted by eth0_
    But I love cats, they're so affectionate and cute, and they don't stink of crap like dogs ALWAYS do, nor do they slobber germs all over your clothes like dogs, and you can always leave a cat to its own devices while you're out at work, if you left many dogs on their own they'd have the house wrecked by the time you got back.

(i) Do you love prostitutes too? They're affectionate for the same reason as cats are: self interest. Cats only show affection when they want something.
    (ii) Dogs do not always stink.
    (iii) A dogs saliva is in fact a natural disinfectant, their mouths are actually cleaner than our own.
    (iv) That's as much of a biased generalisation as for me to say that Cats are like women because they show affection when they want something too...

A dog makes a far superior pet to a cat. They're affectionate, useful in that they will defend you and your home, fun to play with and it's been proven that they relieve stress so well that owning a dog is proven to extend your life expectancy.

And, finally: have you ever heard of a sniffer cat? a guide cat? a police cat? No, I thought not. They're smarter than cats.

Originally posted by Sleepy
    For the same reason that some people hate selfish people. They're selfish, uncaring creatures.

They're not selfish. I've had cats all my life and they've all been really sweet and friendly.

Have you ever even owned a cat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

1.Dogs kill birds too. And foxes. And sometimes people.
    2.Dogs defecate in gardens, parks, on lampposts... At least cats bury theirs.
    3.Dogs often bark and howl all night.
    4.Dogs are also cruel to mice and small creatures. Two words-Jack Russels.
    5.Cats are too smart to make friends with just anyone. Oh and I never feed my cats (my mother does) but I still get a warm welcome from my feline friends every day when I come home from uni.
    6.Dogs chew furniture, shoes, dig up gardens...
    7.Dogs (particularly small dogs) make annoying barking noises when I least want it!

This is not true I watched a program David Attenborough did - domestic cats kill huge amounts of birds. The thought that a cat would not kill birds after their owner tells it not too is hilarious. They just follow their natural hunting instinct.

Sorry, I meant they'll stop bringing you dead animals if you scold them for doing it, I realise there's no way to stop their instincts.

Besides, dogs kill lots of animals too, sheep and rabbits to name two. True, probably not on the same scale as cats kill, but it's still instinct.

Is this a CATS v DOGS bb or why people hate cats. People hate dogs for the same reasons I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How can dogs be smarter than cats? Look who's doing all the work and look whos asleep by the fire!

Mike.

Also dogs dont kill birds! They are too slow and stupid.
    All what work? You dont see dogs doing any work dude.
    At least people who own dogs admit they are dumb.

• Advertisement

A cat isn't dumb enough to do everything its owner tells it!
    Oh and another thing. If one more person tells me my cat is evil JUST because she's black... (stupid superstitions.....)

Originally posted by Sleepy
    (i) Do you love prostitutes too? They're affectionate for the same reason as cats are: self interest. Cats only show affection when they want something.
    (ii) Dogs do not always stink.
    (iii) A dogs saliva is in fact a natural disinfectant, their mouths are actually cleaner than our own.
    (iv) That's as much of a biased generalisation as for me to say that Cats are like women because they show affection when they want something too...

A dog makes a far superior pet to a cat. They're affectionate, useful in that they will defend you and your home, fun to play with and it's been proven that they relieve stress so well that owning a dog is proven to extend your life expectancy.

And, finally: have you ever heard of a sniffer cat? a guide cat? a police cat? No, I thought not. They're smarter than cats.

(i) That's a bloody ridiculous comparison. I won't even dignify it with an answer.
    (ii) In my experience dogs stay clean smelling for about 1-2 days after you bath them, then back to the dirty ****ty smell that they always have about them, I don't know how anyone can kiss a dog or not wash their hands after touching them, their coat leaves a sort of film of dirt on your hands - YUCK. (i'm not trying to be intentionally nasty to dogs here, but they really do turn my stomach sometimes).
    (iii) Which is why you have to get a tetenus shot and/or antibiotics after a dog bites you, because they're so clean? I'm well aware of the fact there are more harmful bacteria in human saliva, but it's not really a worthwhile comparison since both are dangerous if they get into an open wound.

Dogs saliva is NOT a natural antiseptic.
    Do you know a bird can die of poisoning if it is bitten by a dog? That's how "antiseptic" their saliva is.

Originally posted by neev
    Dogs saliva is NOT a natural antiseptic.
    Do you know a bird can die of poisoning if it is bitten by a dog? That's how "antiseptic" their saliva is.

I think he means it's antiseptic to itself, not a general antiseptic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I love dogs to bits, but to be honest they can smell, and make a mess. Cats are quite independent, just because they can't always be trained to do stupid little tricks doesn't make them bad pets, and they have plenty of personality. To each his own I suppose, they both make great pets in different ways. I've always had cats and they're great :)

I don't know why this topic always brings out such anger in people though :p

Just like to say that it's not dogs I don't like, it's the short end of the stick cats get that bothers me. Anything I've said about dogs' bad points does not mean that I don't like dogs-it's just to point out that cats aren't the only creatures that make noise/defecate/etc where/when it's not wanted.

Originally posted by koneko
    I love dogs to bits, but to be honest they can smell, and make a mess. Cats are quite independent, just because they can't always be trained to do stupid little tricks doesn't make them bad pets, and they have plenty of personality. To each his own I suppose, they both make great pets in different ways. I've always had cats and they're great :)

It's nice that you can say that, koneko :)
    I've never understood the vitriol of the cats Vs Dogs argument.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

cats are lazy bums imo...

dogs rule!

Tell you the truth the main sticking point with me is that they kill birds. Robins and sparrows, finches and tits, wagtails and blackbirds. And they do so in vast numbers. Your cat is a killer. Dont even start to bring dogs into it. The question is Why do some people hate cats?

• Advertisement

My mother has a theory that it may be due to how cats were portrayed in the media when she was young-they always belonged to villains whereas dogs were always heroes (e.g. Rin Tin Tin, Lassie).

Advertisement