Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could it Happen? SG to Utd

• 02-06-2004 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

Link1

Link2

Not exactly what you would want Parry to be saying - but as they say there is not smoke without fire? I reckon Utd will test their resolve with a 20M+ bid.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

umm sounds interesting, could Parry be preparing the fans for some news??

I would only imagine do that whatever UTD offer Chelsea will better.

This could get interesting, if Gerrard was to go I think Liverpool would be up Sh*t creak without a paddle. Surprised that Parry would say this before a manager is annouched I think any manager would want to keep the clubs best player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

I didn't think there was a hope in hell that Alan Smith would go to OT so anything is possible plus Gerrard probably needs to be playing for one of the top three

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

as much as i dont like liverpool gerard is a player that always stood out for me and seeing him in a man utd jersey would be a good sight!!! imo he will be the ideal replacement for keano!!! but with miller coming this summer and maybe gerard fingers crossed will this put keanos future at risk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

tbh i think thats a load of rubbish there is no way gerrard will leave liverpool for utd
    those two reports are just speculation used to speed up a slow news day

yeah but gerrard hasnt said much to commit him to anfield next season either!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Did he not sign a contract extension?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by woosaysdan

He signed a new five year contract in January.

Contracts mean nothing in todays football market, Why would Parry say what he did for no reason???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

*watches porky the pig fly through the sky...

god speed porky god speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by Ronan|Raven
    *watches porky the pig fly through the sky...

god speed porky god speed.

LOL could happen easily ,he has turned down both offers for investment so needs the money obviously.
    i would love to see him go would really piss off lots of people i know.

kdjac

• Advertisement

what i meant is that he hasnt made any statement yet comitting himself to anfield!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hell + Freeze + Over

Pleeeeeeeeeze!

Mike.

Originally posted by mike65
    Hell + Freeze + Over

Pleeeeeeeeeze!

Mike.

LOL I can't believe liverpool fans can't see this as a possibility.

I wouldn't bet a whole lot on it happening, but I also wouldn't bet a whole lot on it NOT happening.

In football these days anything is possible, I mean if you had asked Leeds fans if Smith would go to United they would have said that would be the last team he would go to.

Anything is possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I referred to this story here and I found Gerrards response here very interesting. If it's accurate I think something may be going on behind the scenes. Then again it could be just the usual tabloid ploy of creating news for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Parrys comments could be construed as inviting offers - there is definetly no hands off he is not going anywhere. Everybody knows that a club will not force a player to stay that doesn't want to be there.(See Saha and Parker)

Personally would be surprised to see it happen- Chelsea is a more likely destination if he did want to leave - although Makele apparently is a favourite of Mourinho so he may not want Gerrard.

I think more likely is that Gerrard will wait for a year and see what happens and then will pack his bag next year if there in no improvement in the Liverpool situation.

As far he would never join them comments - remember Figo!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Originally posted by kida

I think more likely is that Gerrard will wait for a year and see what happens and then will pack his bag next year if there in no improvement in the Liverpool situation.

I will agree with you on that point. Gerrard will not be going anywhere his year. He will give the new manager a chance im sure to see what he offers and whether he likes what he offers to the club. If next year is truely woeful then he could very well leave but I dont think to UTD. There would be holy war on MerseySide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

There's a big difference between Smith joining Utd and Gerrard... Leeds were bloody relegated, it wasn't a case of him just jumping ship.

I'd eat all your hats if Gerrard was to EVER join Man Utd. If he does leave Liverpool, it'll be for a European club imo, and not for at least another 2 seasons (barring a major catastophe in Liverpools performance next season).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

2 hopes in hell, I would "love it" if he came to United but in all honest as big of a "shock" as it was for Smith to cross over I honestly cannot see scouse sell their captain to one of their biggest rivals.

I am sure Arsenal and Chelsea would put in serious rival bids for his services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Just reading in a United forum that apperently a 20M plus deal has been done for a top International and will be unveiled after Euro 2004. Names most mentioned are SG, Ballack and Van Der Vaart(sp). (The player does not want it unveiled until after Euro 2004.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd find it unlikely but god how much I would love to see him in a United shirt.

Whens the last time a player has moved between those two clubs?

Is it possible he doesn't like the new manager or something?
    That could definally make a player leave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

With Roy Keane and Ryan Giggs in return for SG is what i heard/made up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

lmao not a chance. If keane goes anywhere its to celtic. He said that himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Originally posted by PHB

Paul Ince, wasn't it?

As a Liverpool fan, these stories are quite worrying - but at the moment I think it's more of a case of Parry testing the waters thant Stevie G wanting to jump ship. Stevie G would ideally like to remain here for another season under the new management, but the board seem to be encouraging offers, and if Chelsea come in with big money, it's quite possible he could go this summer. Please God don't let it happen though, it would be a huge setback and we'd need an awful lot of money to be able to bring in players to cope with his loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    Paul Ince, wasn't it?

Not quite, he played for Inter in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Can't ever see it happening myself, but I also never thought I'd see the whole of Europe covered in ice and I saw that in Liffey Valley last Sunday ! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by PHB

Direct transfers between the two clubs are few and far between.

As has already been said Paul Ince went from united to milan and then on to liverpool.

Ted Savage and Allenby Chilton both went to United from Liverpool in 1938 for nothing. Savage lasted less than 12 months and played only 5 games before he was off to Wrexham, Chilton was nicked from Liverpool's youth ranks and remained with United until his retirement in 1955 having clocked up 432 games in defence.

The 3 Tommy's, Reid, Miller and Chorlton also made the move in 1929,1920 & 1912 respectively with only Miller commanding a fee (£2000), only Reid made any significant impact scoring 67 goals in 101 games before moving to Oldham for £400 in 1933.

Only 3 players have gone the other way; Phil Chisnall was the last to go the other way in 1964 (£25,000) with Tommy McNulty & Fred Hopkin before him in 1954 and 1921 respectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

Cant see it happening at the moment. If Liverpool are relagated then yes i think it will happen but liverpool are not going to be relagated any time soon. I would love to see it happen. it is interesting what fergie said and then what Stevie said. so we will have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Originally posted by kida
    Link1

Link2

Not exactly what you would want Parry to be saying - but as they say there is not smoke without fire? I reckon Utd will test their resolve with a 20M+ bid.
    A £20M+ bid? :D Chelsea have made offers of £35M and £50M, they weren't accepted. Wishful thinking on the Manc's part.

Advertisement