Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin v Westmeath

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

final possibilities:

Laois v Wexford - Laois win
    Laois v Westmeath - Laois win
    Meath v Wexford - Meath win
    Meath v Westmeath - Westmeath win

I reckon the second one, but wouldnt put much money on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

laois have to improve given their recent performance against carlow (a very good show by carlow i might add).

then again meath too have to improve, they did not exactly instill confidence against wicklow recently.

i reckon a laois - westmeath final (assuming laois improve and do not get ahead of themselves).

laois to win leinster!

--laoisfan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Its becoming a bit of a habit but I am going to agree with Rooster here. I think the winner of the Laois v Meath game will go on to win Leinster. I think Wexford will beat Westmeath but they will not win a Leinster title. Having said that I had money on them at 3-1 for Suday and tehy came good so I might as well shout for them seeing as Dublin are out now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

Have ye all not learned from yer mistakes so far? Do not underestimate Westmeath and Wexford. Both teams are well capable of taking this Leinster title.

It will be a Laois vs Wexford final (novel or what??) and it'll be very tight.

I'm shouting for Wexford all the way - C'mon the Yella Bellies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

Im sick and tired of agreeing with Waylander and the Rooster, but here I go again.
    I was sick on sunday, I actually felt Ill as dublin crumbled in the second half

Oh jill_valentine is banned for a week, the very least she could have done is made a comment about the game..pure flaming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

Leinster Football is more competitive now as it ever was . Its no longer Dublin v Meath or Dublin v Kildare . Every year the Leinster Championship gets more interesting..

Laois v Wexford ... Laois
    Laois v Westmeath ... Remember the battles in under age a couple of years ago
    Meath v Wexford ... Meath
    Meath v Westmeath ... We Have to Beat them Sometime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Of the teams that are left Laois are probably the clear favourites although in reality there's not a huge amount between any of the teams.

Wexford have been threatening doing something for a while and they have a good team there. Playing westmeath is also a big advantage as they mightn't choke like they would if it was Dublin.

Similarly for Westmeath, although I still think they are overrated, they won't fear Wexford and will probably be favourites. This imo is not good. Westmeath work better as the underdogs. They haven't handled pressure well over the years and I can't see them handling it this time either. Verdict: Wexford.

In the other match, Meath are way too quiet for my liking. Laois did well last year and Micko is an undisputable asset. Laois have built a very good, solid team on the back of underage successes down the years and last years success rightly puts them as favourites at the moment. The only question mark is again, similar to westmeath, how will they perform as favourites? I predict Meath to win this.

Now Wexford V Meath i would say Meath as Wexford could choke and Meath are never easily beaten as Westmeath know all too well.

However much I would love to see Westmeath play Meath and beat the living crap out of them, unfortunately I can't see westmeath continuing their role in Leinster. Put them as favourites and your setting them up for a fall and they usually oblige.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Well the dubs must be sick. Imagine sinking to Westmeath's level and actually going even lower!
    (Parden my ignorance but) What?
    The Dubs really feel like they have a divine right to Leinster? Do the Dubs really consider that the football that is winning Leinster is worse than what their capable of. Imagine you really believe that the Dubs "have sank" in order to be beaten by Westmeath when the fact of the matter is I really fancied Westmeath on Sunday due to them being better than the Dubs (stated here earlier I think)

I think the attitude of many Dubs supporters and certain sections of the media has been reflective of the soccer yobbish influence on Dublin supporters.

I mean FFS the dubs have only won 2 Leinster Titles in the last 9 years!! In Kildare their was nothing like the backlash delievered by Dub supporters. In Kildare huge numbers will turn out to watch their match with Offaly and get behind their team.

I hope London get their team back and run Dublin close

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭stevemac

why does everyone think they will beat westmeath?
    is there a bit of bandwagon jumpin going on?

i think it will be westmeath who win this one. Wexford are better than i thought but don't think they will beat westmeath.

Well the dubs must be sick. Imagine sinking to Westmeath's level and actually going even lower!

Mightymouse that was not posted by a Dub. In fact I think it was sarcasm on the part of Imposter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

I would say that Westmeath are better than I thought they would be... Wexford had a very solid League campaign and have been improving for the last few years.

Westmeath have been static since 2001 and have scrapped by in the last 2 games. I can seen Wexford beating them purely going on the current form of both teams. Westmeath will be raging favourites for the match as well - and all the hype will be on their shoulders

I think anyone would have looked like a good side against the Dubs on Sunday in the second half. I am still inclined to think they are a bit overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by Waylander
    Mightymouse that was not posted by a Dub. In fact I think it was sarcasm on the part of Imposter?
    That would be correct. An attempt to rise the rooster (hey - that sounds almost funny) after some of his comments earlier in the thread. I am actually from Westmeath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

That was actually the second time in this thread that Mighty Mouse replied to that comment, using the very same quote! The first time he seemed to get the irony, the second time he didnt! Ah well gave me my first smile of the week :D

I thought the Wexford v Kildare game was worse standard than Dublin v Westmeath. I'd fancy Westmeath in the semi, but not strongly. They will be favourites, and as Imposter said, that wont suit them.

i would love to take off my Mod cap for a week and hurl Abuse at Might Mouse right now. You need to cop on fella, Dublin Fans do not feel we have a devine right to anything. We do not begruge any counties sucess and we are not soccer yobs.

Seriously ...cop the **** on.

/rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭stevemac

I thought the Wexford v Kildare game was worse standard than Dublin v Westmeath. I'd fancy Westmeath in the semi, but not strongly. They will be favourites, and as Imposter said, that wont suit them. [/B]

where you at the game?
    or who was at the game, and is there anything to note from it?

I was at the game in the premium level, ( sorry lads prawn sandwich land ), the Kildare game was so poor that I went inside to watch the Waterford v Tipp game on the telly. To be honest Ithink there were more people in the watching the game and drinking pints then there were in the stands.

In my rush to put the boot into the Dubs I think I misread! Apologies
    That was actually the second time in this thread that Mighty Mouse replied to that comment, using the very same quote! The first time he seemed to get the irony, the second time he didnt! Ah well gave me my first smile of the week
    :o:o:o:o:o Feck it, the Jackeens have me!
    i would love to take off my Mod cap for a week and hurl Abuse at Might Mouse right now.
    When did you put it on?
    need to cop on fella, Dublin Fans do not feel we have a devine right to anything
    Sorry lads but thats the impression most GAA people down the country are left with especially after this weeks reaction to losing to Westmeath.
    We do not begruge any counties sucess and we are not soccer yobs.
    Again while I realise that the Dubs have a very strong GAA network this is another impression (correctly or incorrectly).
    /rant.
    I find it amusing that you specified this as a rant as opposed to you other non-demarcated postings

Again while I realise that the Dubs have a very strong GAA network this is another impression (correctly or incorrectly).

It seems to me that you are the only one on these boards with this impression. Neither Imposter or Laoisfan or any of the other regular posters have called me a soccer yob just because I am a Dublin fan.
    In my rush to put the boot into the Dubs I think I misread! Apologies

That is alright it is a bit of a recuurring theme with you, and we are kind of used to it now. You complain about us Dubs always talking our chances up, what do you expect when the likes of you cant even read a post properly before you have to race off and "put the boot in".

That is alright it is a bit of a recuurring theme with you, and we are kind of used to it now. You complain about us Dubs always talking our chances up, what do you expect when the likes of you cant even read a post properly before you have to race off and "put the boot in".
    How is it recurring? Used to it - how? I've had competely different opinions from ye in the past (croker) but hardly justifies the above. In fact I think we both view the GAA, its past, present and future completely differently but it doesnt make my opinion any less correct.
    I know I mis-quoted but dont tell me there isn't an element of this with the Dubs this week?

Dubs are completely gutted with this loss --> over-gutted IMO. I think the Dubs need another 3-4 years to develop a strong teams with some of the U21 U18 players.
    Neither Imposter or Laoisfan or any of the other regular posters have called me a soccer yob just because I am a Dublin fan
    As for the mis-reading, mis-quoting accusations levelled at me!! Maybe you should re-read my origional post and I think you'll find I never called you a soccer yob (or Dublin fans for that matter). I did say however that in my opinion there is an tabloidish,typical soccer-coverage, shock, horror, over-reaction to a Dublin team (with little honours in 10 years) losing out to a very good Westmeath team. A reaction which I have not really seen to the defeat of any other GAA team in recent years and to be honest I think the Westmeath performance has been done a great injustice in the last week.

Maybe the reason for this is because the media is based in Dublin, I'm not sure but I do think its there. I'm can't think of any other team in the Championship which would of reacted in the same way to be honest. Can you?

• Advertisement

As for the mis-reading, mis-quoting accusations levelled at me!! Maybe you should re-read my origional post and I think you'll find I never called you a soccer yob (or Dublin fans for that matter).

You have now posted in two different threads (see also Tommy Lyons Thread) about the soccer yobs image us Dubs fans have so I am taking your posts in context. In relation to the result, dont get me wrong I am not saying we are not disappointed to lose to a team that traditionally is considered weaker then us, and has not beated us in forty odd years. But no more so then the Armagh fans were last year when they lost to Monaghon, or then the Kerry fans would be if they lost to Limerick or Clare. Personally I do not think Westmeath, with the exception of three or four players played all that well against us and that is why I am angry.
    In fact I think we both view the GAA, its past, present and future completely differently but it doesnt make my opinion any less correct.

You are right, of course you are entitled to your own opinion, that is what makes these discussions interesting. But when you cant wait to finish reading a post so you can race off and incorrectly have a go at someone that is nmot an opinion, it is ill informed bs. It is a recurring theme because you do it in most threads, the Croker thread being an example. I am not the tricolour touting republican you assumed I was in that thread.

You are right, of course you are entitled to your own opinion, that is what makes these discussions interesting. But when you cant wait to finish reading a post so you can race off and incorrectly have a go at someone that is nmot an opinion
    fair enough
    It is a recurring theme because you do it in most threads,
    I still dont quite get this maybe I'll watch my posts a little more carefully
    I am not the tricolour touting republican you assumed I was in that thread.
    I cant remember assuming anything in that thread tbh. I'll have to reread it later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

hehehehe. :D:D

you prolly heard me laughing all the way from Florida Alan :p

I should stop now in case Laois loose :dunno:

anyway, less of the flaming and shit guys. Keep it about the game and anything else is now deemed OT.

Keep it ON topic plz.

oh and if you want you can drop the modship for a week Alan. I'll mind the shop. :) but expect a week ban for flaming ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

lads - can't we all just get along and agree to disagree?

well seeing as we are going to get back on topic...Im amazed noone has talked about that savage elbow Whelan hit a westmeath player ?? with in the second half.
    i was sure he was going to get sent off...

It's crazy given the O'Connell case this week. I'm not suggesting Whelan should be banned just that the GAA needs a little consistency in these things.

The fact that the Westmeath player didnt stay down and I think told the ref only to give him a yellow was sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

i think its disgusting the reports that dublin fans spat at tommy lyons as he walked off the pitch, no need for it at all, dublin could have easily won the game, it was still within there grasp when the 6 minutes of injury time was announced and the players can only blame themselves for not winning the game.

How many managers have dublin had in the last 10 years?
    the dublin manager seems to have a very short lifespan and never gets enough time to learn from mistakes and build a team.

draffodx Dublin have had 3 mnaagers and noone asked Dr. Pat O Neill to leave.
    Carr and Lyons have not produced.

Where are these reports that he was spat at ?

Of course there is no need for it ( the abuse he got), that goes without saying.
    But what makes you think Dublin could have won that game ? sure if the game was played over the first 30 minutes...but if that was the case we would be going for our 3rd all ireland title in a row by now.

Lyons has nto made progress and Carr positivly sent us backward... how long does a manager need to make progress ?

If your telling me a manager cant be responcible for his teams results then I hope you never have to manage anything. cause it will fail ( or suceed to spite you)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

Originally posted by Imposter

fuck you!

i dont give a crap about football but to say dublin sinking to our level is not on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

Lads just a few points.

No matter who is manager of any football team in Ireland, there not going to have resources of premiership managers.

I personally dont think it should matter about the ability of managers of the like, if the team is gifted, then they should win every match. Say brazil, if they had steven segal managing them, they'd still win most of their matches. Maybe I'm wrong, just what I think.

Dublin were woeful. They had a spell for 5 minutes. but in that time, there was some bad defending by westmeath and thats why sherlock got his points, after that I didn't even know he was on the field. If he had to score that goal though, dublin would have won, and he would of got man of the match.

Ciaran Whealen is totally hyped too much, i'm sick of reading pages in the star claiming he's going to do this that and the other, he'll do **** all. I though he went for a toilet break in the match.

This has been coming for a long time, they've been scraping out results now for a while. Westmeath will destroy wexford, I predict them to win by 6 points or more.
    They have more fight and fire power than Kildare( who are as bad as dublin now)

Obviously Dulbin will kick seven types of ****e out of London. After that happens the media will hype dublin again, and the city will be thinking there going to win sam maguire easy. If you look at the draws, after dublin win that match, they wont win the one after unless they play kildare or offaly.

Dublin players just have to stop acting the bollox and try.!
    Get rid of Jayo first of all, he does nothing for me, and just wont look for the ball enough, 4 points in one match maybe, but he wont do it in every match.
    Actually get a whole new team except christie - the only one who cares!

Advertisement