Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog adoption

• 02-06-2004 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi guys

Just want to get some general opinions from people about dog adoption. The thing is that I will be moving into a house soon (hopefully!) and when I do (assuming the conditions are right) I would very much like to adopt a couple of dogs from one of the rescue organisations. The problem is that both my partner and I work all day.

So, would you think it cruel to adopt dogs (I would adopt 2, I couldn't leave 1 doggy on thier own during the day) and leave them all alone during the day??

Cheers for the opinions!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Some dogs become destructive when left to their own devices for long periods. It would depend on the dog though so you'd have to check with the kennel. A pair of cats might be a better option as they're more independent and sleep more, but maybe dogs are more your thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Dilly

I agree with you that the situation is probably better suited to cats rather than dogs, but I do have a preference for dogs (not that I've anything against cats at all - it's just a preference)

Thanks for the opinion though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Most rescues will advise you to get 2 dogs to keep each other company & will do a home check anyway to make sure the dogs have enough room etc.

There are loads of options for keeping dogs & working all day - dog walkers who drop by, really long evening walks, toys - kongs etc. If you have the room & can offer a good home then go for it!

check out www.irishanimals.com for a list of rescues & resources on adopting a dog.

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Well I reckon if they're left alone all day they'll get bored and sleep, then be up all night barking :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Just don't get a collie or collie cross. They are highly intelligent and need a lot of mental stimulation so they can't be left alone. A lot of the collies/collie crosses in pounds are their because they become neurotic and destructive out of sheer boredom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Dilly

So, would you think it cruel to adopt dogs (I would adopt 2, I couldn't leave 1 doggy on thier own during the day) and leave them all alone during the day??

Unless you have a lot of land for them to roam around and entertain themselves, then yes it IS cruel, and in fact you won't be allowed to adopt a dog if you're going to leave them in the back yard/garden all day.

Advertisement