Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shell V Power Fuel

Options
  • 02-06-2004 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the story here - first they give us Super Unleaded, then Pura and now its V-Power. Are they all the same and why bother anyway. No other retailer seems to be interested in these superduper blends.

Is it RON95 or 98?

Its been on sale for up to 2 years in some countires.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Seems to be an excuse to charge another 5 cents a litre. How are they going to pay Quentin Wilson for all those voiceovers?
    My car's manual tells me not to use anything other than 95 unleaded or engine damage will result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

it's just 95ROn which is allegedly less harmful to the environment, and extremely unharmful to Mr Shell's bank balance. They sell it on the continent where it's 98-100 RON, don't get ripped off buying that crap here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Its definitely 95 octane. I cant see the point in using it to be honest. Dont know why Shell bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I have heard reports of Shell "Optimax" brand petrol which is sold in the UK giving slightly better fuel ecomony and performance in some cars. Is the V-Power/Pura stuff here the same petrol just with a different brandname? I have used Pura a few times and noticed no difference. ( except for having a lighter wallet afterwards :) )

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

I'm almost certain that the Shell Optimax that is sold in the UK is 98RON and I think there is a 100RON variant of it sold on the continent.
    Is the V-Power just a new name for Pura (which was never marketed as a performance fuel, but rather as a cleaner fuel)?

On a related note, I am having difficulty finding a garage these days that sells 98 octane fuel. Does anyone know where there are any? With fuel prices the way they are going, I doubt it will be very popular but it seems to have become far less common over the last while. What's happened to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

On a related note, I am having difficulty finding a garage these days that sells 98 octane fuel. Does anyone know where there are any?
    Check out the "Statoil Ripoff" thread for some info. There is an Esso garage near mullingar that is selling super unleaded. The catch is - it's 1.25 euros per litre :eek:

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Wrestlemania

V power I think has a detergent in it, f*ck that, a bit of fairy Liquid with you petrol and youre sorted :D

A nice bubbly exhaust

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

V-Power is 100RON in mainland europe bar holland I think. Its 95RON in Ireland and the UK. Is it any good? Well I gave my tank a fill or two of it (back when it cost what normal petrol costs now) and there was not that much of a difference.. slightly better trottle response but nothing worth the extra 5c a litre..

I've used Optimax in the UK and I loved it. 1 full tank of Optimax + 1 bottle of Millers and the the difference scared me!! Even compared to SUL with a bottle of Millers. I'm always doubtfull about buying SUL over here as it really does not seem to have the difference it should and I know it can have. If Optimax came in over here I would be over the moon cause running 95RON fuel with out a bottle of octane boost leads to pinking in my engine :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mudflapgirl

Originally posted by IrishRover
    On a related note, I am having difficulty finding a garage these days that sells 98 octane fuel. Does anyone know where there are any?

there's an ESSO in clondalkin that sells SUL too. 126.9 ish methinks though :rolleyes:

BrianD3 wrote:
    Check out the "Statoil Ripoff" thread for some info. There is an Esso garage near mullingar that is selling super unleaded. The catch is - it's 1.25 euros per litre :eek:

BrianD3
    I have found a Texaco garage that sells super unleaded. However, it is only 97 octane.

I have also found 2 Esso garages that sell super unleaded. However, it is not indicated anywhere what octane rating it is. In the first Esso garage, the guy behind the counter "explained" to me that super unleaded was actually a substitute for leaded petrol. :rolleyes: In the other Esso garage, I decided to be fair and ask the girl behind the counter first. She immediately deferred to the guy working with her. I asked him again what octane rating the super unleaded was and suggested that it is probably either 97 or 98 RON. "Oh no", he replied, "it's actually 125 a litre". Nice one. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

Yup, the days of people working in shops actually knowing anything about what they sell are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

IrishRover wrote:
    the guy behind the counter "explained" to me that super unleaded was actually a substitute for leaded petrol. :rolleyes:

He was right...

Well, I'll come back and eat humble pie if I have to, but isn't that LRP?
    I know the lead used to be added to petrol to reduce pinking and knocking and I guess a higher octane fuel has the same effect, but it's not a replacement for leaded fuel surely? Isn't there some other additive in LRP that substitues for the lead that has the same effect of protecting the valve seats in older engines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

BrianD3 wrote:

BrianD3

haha... shock horror. Flash forward 3 years... 1.25 is cheap for petrol in some places. I suppose petrol was 89cent back then though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

unkel wrote:
    He was right...

You sure about that? LRP was the substitute for leaded iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

V-Power is an absolute waste of money.

Its the same 95ron as regular unleaded.

People that "feel" improvements must be imagining things. ...if anything i used it once and it 'felt' that the engine was running a lot more coarse.

I would imagine that in order to make it cleaner and more environmentally friendly, some other cahracteristics of regular petrol would have to have been substituted / removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I used it, and got another 30 odd miles out of the tank. Haven't bothered to use it again though, seeing as I don't pass any SHell garages on my commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Holy thread resurrection :eek:

Is either super unleaded or LRP still sold?
    You sure about that? LRP was the substitute for leaded iirc.

My answer was a bit simplistic, IrishRover was more correct. LRP is essentially super unleaded (for high octane - 97 to 98, about the same as super leaded used to be) with an additive to protect the valve seats

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Here's the reason for the V Power fuel. Would you believe it's because of Formula 1. One of the rules states since 1995 that the fuel the cars use has to be available from petrol pumps. So you can't go putting pissy fuel into F1 cars so the clever people at Shell made V-Power and Shell marketed it at a higher price and to keep Ferrari running with a high preformance fuel

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

You reckon that F1 Cars use V-Power then???.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Does anyone know exactly what the story is with the tax on fuel. I think it was here in a post someone mentioned tax is based on the RON level. Just with the number of high performance vehicles it would make sense for one network of petrol stations in dublin to do 98 or even 100 ron fuel. Inless it would be stupidly expensive. Id say if you got a petition together it could happen. A lot of people spend 1200 euro or so getting there cars remapped for low octane fuel, i believe there are cars sold here mapped for 98 ron fuel too, could be wrong though.

Petrol here is cheaper than almost any country in the EU, so it sucks that we cant have any decent petrol..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Get a Diesel Instead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

For those that hadn't noticed:

Between the time this thread was started and now resurrected Shell has pretty much left the country and there are hardly any Shell stations left ...never mind V-power fuel.

And for the record;
    On old (prechamber) diesels V-power diesel is great stuff ...puts out more power, lowers consumption and noise and cleans the engine. (according to my own experience)

Pity you can't get it anymore ...

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

mik_da_man wrote:
    You reckon that F1 Cars use V-Power then???.....:rolleyes:

Why do you know better?

http://www.formula1.com/insight/rulesandregs/21/5265.html

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

V-power diesel, whereabouts do you get it, is it only in the UK.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

endplate wrote:

F1 cars do not run on Shell V Power 95.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

despite the vast amounts of technical effort spent developing a Formula One car, the fuel it runs on is surprisingly close to the composition of ordinary, commercially available petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Isn't V-Power 98Ron in Britain and 95Ron here?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

endplate wrote:

From the site
    FIA regulations state that the rules are “intended to ensure the use of fuels which are predominantly composed of compounds normally found in commercial fuels

This is definitely NOT V-Power, and as you know how F1 teams can get so much power from a non turbo restricted CC engine I'm sure they can figure out how to get a bit more power from the fuel they are allowed to use.

Mik

Advertisement