Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't Logon on to Machine since changing from Domain to Workgroup

Options
  • 02-06-2004 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

HELP!

I can't logon to my machine since I changed it to a workgroup instead of a Domain. Windows XP by the way.

I don't have an option to logon to the pc or domain anymore.

Is there anyway round this?

If not what is my best way of getting everything from the drive.

All help appreciated!

Tom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

oops totally mis read your post sorry, did you try safe mode

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

ha ha

Thanks for the reply mukki.

No I dont have the option to log on to the machine or the domain!!!! I thgouht I would have at least had that option when I was chaning over!!!

Yes - I tried safe mode and you have to log in there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Surely you can get into your machine. Just use the same username and password. There'll you go.

Also, even though your are still on domain but have no network connection i.e cable disconnected, server offline you'd be able to log on as long as you have logged on with the same username/password before. Which means you already have your profile there.

Correct me if I am wrong but that's how Windows login system works (Win2K & XP). Would help too if your laptop is stolen and the thieves do not know your logon details.

sorry about my first post, i thought you said you changed it from a workgroup to a domain, big difference..

you can only logon the machine using the local accounts, you old domain username and password won't work cause they can't be validated, if you dont know any local usernames/ password, then download the cracker from ..(actually i don't have a link, if you can't find it i'll email you it tomorrow evening)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

You should still be able to see the login screen with the users listed. If you can't see this, there is something else wrong with the machine.

A local user account (Administrator) will work, provided that you know the password of that account.

Domain credentials won't work. Even though they are cached when you are a member of the domain (so that you can log in without netowrk access), when you remove the machine from the domain, this cache is removed also.

If you get to the friendly logon screen, hit C-A-D twice, and it'll display the usual login screen asking for your username and password. At this screen, log in as Administrator.

• Advertisement

Problem is..... I don't know the password :'(

I found this... http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

Do you think this will delete the users PST files etc if I use this? It's something about editing the SAM file. It says you may lose EFS files, but says nuthin about user settings or pst files and contacts etc.

Thanks all for the replies!

Tom

Originally posted by mart_max
    Surely you can get into your machine. Just use the same username and password. There'll you go.

I thought so too man - but nope. Wont let me in..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

have u tried administrator login?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeah don't bother with the domain password, it's not even going to check with the domain controller if it's on workgroup.
    If someone's been lazy installing the OS, then Administrator with a blank password sometimes works ;)

I haven't got the admin password................:dunno:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Who has the admin password? Why aren't you asking them for help?

No-one has it - it's gone!

I got it sorted now. I used the software mentioned above which allowed me to reset the password of the administrator.

Pretty nifty tool. Didn't lose any settings of other users either, only the one I changed!

WoOHoo!!

Thanks everyone.

Tom

well done, enjoy that disk but don't tell to many people about it, as not everyone should have admin access

Advertisement