Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best word processor for typing up a theses

• 02-06-2004 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Hi

I know you are thinking 'What sort of question is this for the Physics / Chemistry forum' but I figured you guys might have had more expierence typing up papers than most people. I have just finnished my third year in college and have to say that one of the most stressful things I have had to endure for the last three years was using Microsoft Word. This stinking pile of horse manure of a word processor has got a mind of its own that defies all logic known to me (And im a CS student). Who would think that something designed to do such a simple task could make things so difficult. I mean have you ever tried using tabs, you would have better luck obtaining a straight line by drawing the letters on with the mouse. Anyway next year I will be doing a theses and there is no way on earth I will be using Microsoft Word. Has anyone any other alternatives that they think is better.

Regards
    John.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

U could try Open Office, it's recieved good reviews. Another option might be AbiWord. Both are free and open and all of that lark. Personally though, I like word even though it is very awkward when working with tables and the like.

Edit: Not that I have used these much but open programs tend to have a lot of cool plugins. There might be a plugin suited for whatever purpose you need the word processor for. ie Chemical formulas or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Have to agree with OpenOffice, used it for my thesis, its excellent for managing large documents and has a great Export to PDF feature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

I like the idea that it exports to PDF. I have a mate who uses open office on the linux operating system. I wonder is it the same one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

Tis the same alright. It's one of the few decent word processors available for linux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The only thing of any use for writing a scientific document is the Latex environment. You can use a text editor like WinEdt to write the document and then churn out a very presentable thesis.

Nothing else comes close for scientific writing.

Miktex is for windows systems but there are heaps others for other OS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭dictatorcat

Originally posted by dudara
    Miktex is for windows systems but there are heaps others for other OS

I'm using MikTex at the moment and it's great, it's exactly like regular LaTeX but for windows. It's main advantages are that it gives a pretty output, using the correct commands you can automatically create a table of contents and best of all it comes with bibtex which allows you to use the same reference in as many documents as you like without losing track of it, and you only ever have to type it once. Also it's piss easy to write equations.

If you're short on time i wouldn't reccomend it. It's the fastest thing out there but you have to be willing to learn the commands, a useful site is:

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwilkins/LaTeXPrimer/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

If you use Linux (and as a CS student, you should be :D ) then you could use Kile. Its a front end for Latex and I find it brilliant. You can get more info on it here:

Kile

It will produce postscript and pdf output and can even be coaxed into giving html output also! It has a link to gnuplot so you can get it to plot data at the same time.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Wow. They all look like overkill to me! I use openoffice and find its formula editor to be excellent. It's seen me through many lab reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by Civilian_Target
    Wow. They all look like overkill to me! I use openoffice and find its formula editor to be excellent. It's seen me through many lab reports.

Well, I can't comment on OpenOffice for mathsy stuff as I tend to stick to LateX. But I remember writing my masters thesis and seeing others who had written theirs in MS Word and god it was awful!

If the thesis is going to be maths based, then Latex is the answer without question. Its a typesetting language, so its designed from the get-go for publishing.

If you have a fear of the typesetting commands involved and prefer wysiwyg, then "Scientific Word" is a Windows program which implements latex but wihtout the necessity of using the latex code. Only problem is, it costs!

Mike

Advertisement