Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowboarding / skiing

• 02-06-2004 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

I am planning on going snowboarding/skiing with a few friends next christmas. I don't know where to start looking or where to go. can anyone advise please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

I went to les deus alpes in southern France over a year ago and i thought it was fantastic. I organised the trip myself and i think we got accomodation flights and ski passes and equipment for bout €650/€700 each. I can't remember exactly how much it was. I have all the information regarding bus companies and accomodation at home. I can give it to u the weekend if your interested.

I had gone snowboarding loads of times before in Vermont. And i was still challenged by a lot of the pistes in France. I even had my own snowboard before going :D but lost it on a black pistes .My friends who had never gone before got lessons for €30 a pop and there were a good few places to pick it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Depends how mad you want things. For my money, NOWHERE can beat Pas De La Casa in Andorra - it's a huge party town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

I went snowboarding with friends for the first time this year and loved it. I've already gone a second time this year and am considering another trip to the southern parts of the world to see if I can get some more boarding in otherwise its wait until the season starts again.

I'd highly recommend livigno as a great place to go. The instructors for snowboarding are excellent and help alot at getting you going your first time out. It can get pretty cold up there.

Speaking from a noobie point of view.
    1.Get someone who knows what gear to buy with you when you plan to go shopping for gear. If you plan to snowboard I highly recommend getting either gloves with wrist gaurds or buy wrist guards to fit into your gloves. It'll be worth it.
    2. Go to ski/snowboard school and get the lessons from the instructors. You'll progress so much more and have way more fun.
    3. Don't skimp on ski equipment. Paying the extra few euro is worth it.
    4. Push yourself but always be careful of the hazards around you.
    5. Goggles are a good idea since it'll more then likely snow while your there.
    6. Spend as much time on the slopes as possible if you want to improve.
    7. Day 3 will hurt the most.
    8. Its gonna be cold.

HTH's.

Ro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Have a look at directski.com or some other online site to get ideas. If it's your first time going go with a package. It's a little more expensive but everything is looked after for you.

In order of price (cheapest to dearest) you've got:
    Andorra, Italy, Austria, France, Switzerland.

The US and Canada might also be an option and could possibly be cheaper than Switzerland.

As for gear if you buy the proper gear (you can get it quite cheap - but obviously not in Ireland) then you won't be cold. Get the wrong gear and you'll be real cold and very uncomfortable. If you're snowboarding the wrist protecters on the gloves are very important. Goggles are important if it's snowing but if it doesn't I find sunglasses are much better.

If you go skiing the boots will be quite uncomfortable initially (same with snowboarding if you get hardboots but most peeps go for softboots). Once you get used to them (especially if you get your own) they actually are quite comfortable. If you go snowboarding a good trousers is essential as you'll spend a significant portion of every day on your ar$e.

Skiing is harder to learn initially but seems easier to improve at whereas you'll be going down blue slopes quite well after a day or 2 on a snowboard but actually travelling with decent speed usually takes longer than it does for skiers.

Basically there's pros and cons to both snowboarding and skiing so you'll have to weigh up what you want to do. Some resorts do a thing where you can hire a snowboard for a day and get half a day's lessons as well. That's a way to try both in the same week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

I went boarding in canada in march. It was pretty damn cool. Didn't get to visit all the hills we wanted but the one I was on, in Jasper was pretty good for beginner/intermid levels. Instruction was pretty cheap at 20 euro for a 2 hour group lesson. Just make sure you get into the correct group otherwise you'll be slow'd down.

Try get a package deal for the US or Canada. Things can quickly add up on ya. Car rental, skipass, instruction, equipment rental etc. All adds up in the end.

The biggest thing I forgot to mention was travel insurance. Get it. Having been there for a major accident I know the value of good travel insurance with winter sports option. Make sure you get it. I can't really suggest this course of action enough. Have a read of Devore's journal if you want to know why its a good idea. Try find out what you are covered for by the insurance. Will someone get to stay if your stuck in hospital, will flights be covered, how much medical are you covered for etc. Again pay the extra for the piece of mind.

Also plan ahead for who to ring in case of emergency's like passport getting lost etc. Crazy stuff can happen when away.

Ro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Sneachta

Thanks for all the replies guys.
    Very helpful.

If anyone else has any info please do not hold back.

Advertisement