Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question On Mach II

Options
  • 02-06-2004 9:15pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

Just wondering about the MACH series or any of the Vapor Chill Stuff is there problems with condensation forming on the motherboard or any other parts or is that only with the Liquid Nitrogen or Dry Ice stuff. And if there is whats the best method of preventing it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Yea thats a problem sometimes but it comes with non conductive gel which you put on the motherboard to protect from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Yeah they usually put grease or vaseline around the cpu I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

Yeah there can be problems but there are measures to counter them, for example pin rot can set in under the cpu if air is able to get into the pins, to counter this you have to spread die-electric paste all over the socket to prevent any air entering. Also the area around the socket is generally covered in a foam and can be surrounded by a heated pad to further prefent moisture forming. You should be fine aslong as the area around the head is properly cooled :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Azza
    Just wondering about the MACH series or any of the Vapor Chill Stuff is there problems with condensation forming on the motherboard or any other parts or is that only with the Liquid Nitrogen or Dry Ice stuff. And if there is whats the best method of preventing it.

Due to the high humidity in this country, you dont need insane liquid nitrogen cooling to form condensation. Buy a can of coke from a vending machine, you should see droplets of water forming on the metal. That can is probably only 8C when its out of the machine.

Pin rot is extremely irritating and unfortunately cannot be completely protected against.

Matt

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Does the MACH II come with any protection against condensation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

The Vapochill comes with two heating elements which you attach to the underside of the mobo where the CPU is and about the CPU on the uppersurface all this is encased in an insulating foam. The cooling element sits on top of this. The vapochill unit monitors the temperature and cools and heats as necessary to maximally cool the die without causing condentation. Very clever eh

Originally posted by Azza
    Does the MACH II come with any protection against condensation.

Afaik, the heating Elements are an optional extra for the MachII. It does of course come with the Seal String and mounting kit, the idea being no air = no condensation.

There are heating elements in the tubing heading to the CPU as standard on the MachII.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Matt Simis i have been wanting to ask a question to you for some time now. How come you buy so many top class computers in the one year ?
    Are you into building and then selling them for your living or something ?

Just wondering as you always seem to have the best of the best :)

Originally posted by BadCharlie
    Matt Simis i have been wanting to ask a question to you for some time now. How come you buy so many top class computers in the one year ?
    Are you into building and then selling them for your living or something ?

Just wondering as you always seem to have the best of the best :)

Well, if I had the best of the best (and no sense) Id have an Athlon FX or P4 Extreme Edition! ;)

I regulary buy stuff (and so does my GF, sometimes when I say "I had" I mean "we") keep it for a couple of months then sell it on. People are always looking for me to build them PC's, I oblige by selling them PCs at basically cost price (as it allows me to move my "inventory" so to speak and they get top end gear).

I work in IT, but not selling PCs or Parts.

Matt

Advertisement