Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone get a new line to get DSL?

Options
  • 02-06-2004 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

Has anyone failing the line test ordered a new line? Did it then pass or fail the test?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Me!!

Was just about to order a new line but thankfully before I got a chance, contractors working for Eircom arrived in the estate and upgraded all the lines anyway. My line passed for the first time ever the following month.

Before I'd order a new line, I'd rule out everything else though. ie what modem speeds do you get? If you never get over 28k then you may have a splitter on your line in which case a new line wont solve a thing. Have you checked nextdoor neighbours numbers on the online checker? If they fail too your estate or house may be too far from the exchange or the trunkline from the exchange to your estate might be crap which again means that getting a new line installed wont do anything for you. If however a few neighbours close by pass then that could rule out distance and crap trunklines and it my well be that the problem is just your line running from the eircom box outside on the path to your house. In that case its worth giving a new line a go.

One thing with that. Make sure they run a completely new line to your house. Sometimes they just connect up the unused pair of wires in your existing cable to give you your new line. If the problem is a break in the line with water seepage for instance, then the other pair they would using for your new line are as likely to be affected as the other pair used for your current failing line. Water seepage is why my line failed. There was about 2 inches of cable exposed on the footpath and cars had broken the shielding and insulation letting water in. Thankfully in my case the upgrade work that saved me the expense involved running a totally new line through new trunking under the garden up to the eircom box inside my front door. Explain to the engineer that this line is not just another phoneline but is for broadband because your current line keeps failing and you want him to run a totally new line.

Anyway I've ordered BB from UTV and should have my selfinstall pack and line activated in the next few days. So Yes in many cases a new line will solve your problems but you have to eliminate other causes first before going to the expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Can you use any account number with any phone number? Not that I know the neighbours phone number. I get 44k max on my dial up, but it varies somedays it 36K. How do you make sure they run a new completely new line? I'd be surprised if I even see the engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

My line kept failing even though I had nothing plugged into it and I was only 50-100m from the exchange.

In the end, I ordered a new line stating I wanted DSL on it. The new line did pass first time.

However, they may not physically put in a new line, they may just connect up the second pair of copper that is already running into your house assuming that you dont already have two lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Can you use any account number with any phone number?

You don't even need the account number to test it. Even google your street and see if a neighbours number comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by eth0_
    You don't even need the account number to test it. Even google your street and see if a neighbours number comes up.

Nah didn't work. I might try the new line though. How much does it cost. Tying up the phone line while on dial up is becoming too annoying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement