Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classical Studies

Options
  • 02-06-2004 9:49pm

Hi,
    I am going to Cork Leaving Cert college next September and I am picking up Classical studies as an 8th subject, because I am doing two pass at the moment and need 6 honours. I was wondering if anyone here is/has done it and what it is about. I was told it is a combination of both English and History. I love English, not so much with the History though.

I am planning to try and study subjects during the summer so what stuff should I do for classical studies to prepare myself for the course?

Thanks for the help:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I like it.
    We're doing three plays, Medea, Oedipius the King and Prometheus Bound. There all fairly straight forward and short enough, you could read one in around an hour.
    Two Epics, the Aeneid and the Odyssey which aren't bad either, not great reading but there okay.
    We've done the Campaigns of Alexander which is probably my favourite, all about his life etc, etc.
    The only thing I have a problem with is the Art and Architecture section, but even then it's not too bad it's just about getting the terms right really.

The only thing I'd say about picking it up in 6th year would be that it's a very big course. Your talking three big books, three small plays and another book for Art & Arch.
    You could do it, it's not a very difficult subject but it is *long*.
    If you are doing it, find out what texts your doing and try and get them read over the summer and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What I'd recommend doing is.

Do Alexander, just because everyone does it and and you can get help on it.
    I did the Peloponnesian war, which is a lot shorter and easier than Alexander, also the questions are easier and because less people do it you look a lot better.

Do the Epics.
    The Odyssey and the Aenid, you can give you essays to an English teacher who has probably read both of them and could correct em.

Do the drama section,
    you really only have to do two but some people do three for choice.
    Medea is easy
    Your man who's name I can't remember is easy :)
    the Frogs is apparenlty fine, I didn't do it.

DONT DO ART AND ARCHITECTURE
    It blows, its memorisation and rejurjitation, which you probably wouldn't like since you like English more than history.

Do Plato : The Republic

Its ****ing fantastic, you can find a ****load of notes on it from college books, and its really easy to get full marks in :)

---

Also find a classics teacher who can correct your essays, its very important for you to do that, cause you need to understand how to structure em.
    Gl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Xerxes

Was in the very same situation as you.Was doing 7 subjects, 2 pass and took up Classics as an 8th subject for the Leaving 2 years ago.I got an E in Classics just because I was too lazy to study it and had a relaxed attitude towards it.It is an easy subject but not exactly a walk over either. It's very interesting but very long, being able to write essays will be a big help to you.Did it again last year, worked a little harder and got a C2, well worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I heard that it's a helluva lot of work in one year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

It's a lot of memory work, a lot like History really.

Is anyone else out there doing this?
    I'm really stuck in the Art and Architecture section and have no idea what to study, so umm anyone else doing it? And if so what are you studying for A&A?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

on my revision list for Roman A & A is:

maison Carree
    temple of vesta

triple arch of constantine
    arch of titus
    ara pacis

full lenght statue of roman patrician
    the alexander mosaic

ill have a look at a the bridges and aquaducts too... then i should be sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

If theres ne questions you hav aboot the epic poems, or mythology etc.....theres a brand new mythology forum under arts.
    People will help you with anything.
    Do alexander, whatever you do, and make sure you read both Arrians and Plutarchs versions.
    Again, make sure u visist the new mythology forum!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

ah yes,

classical studies......

i'm so going to fail that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

highest failure rate in lc, isnt it? Not trying to scare u or anything.....
    ;)

Advertisement