Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your greatest moment at a concert:

Options
  • 02-06-2004 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭

Hey, how is everyone?
    Thought it would be interesting to hear about any great/cool/exciting experiences that anyone has had at a concert- (thought of this while listening to a cd of a concert i went to and thinking bout how awesome it was. )

that cd was my first dave matthews band concert @ madison square garden in NYC.. with special guest James Brown- the place exploded when dave introduced him- played sex machine (had 'get up, get on up' playing in my head nonstop for a month after that) and james and dave had a dancing duel :) the set-list was unbelievable with several jams that went on for over 15 mins - i could not have asked for anything more. never mind the fact that i was seeing my favorite band for the first time.

i would also have to include the time when i sat in the 13th row for dmb :) (first time i heard a full-band crush~my favorite song by them) and while everyone was sitting around me, creating a clear view for me to the stage, i was pointing to dave matthews (jumping up and down) saying thank you!! .. and he saw me and pointed back (i have witnesses) :D later on i held up my fingers 4 and 1 for the song #41, but he just smiled and shook his head-instead carter went nuts on tripping billies. yea, thought it was cool that i 'communicated' with him =)

i also saw timmy reynolds at a local resturant last summer.. that was awesome to say the least.. i was sitting on his stage watching him play three feet away, no joke-amazing to see just how fast he plays-his hands were blurred for 3 hours. and plus got to shake his hand and thank him for his beautiful music before the show :)

i could go on and on- but its these three that are my best memories from the bit of concerts i have been lucky to see.

thankee for listening. =)

so- how bout the rest of ya? :)
    ~beth

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

I have two :

July 1985 Live Aid - when Geldof stopped " I Don't Like Monday's" right after the line "....and the lesson today is how to die..." amazing. The celtic tiger started that day - it was the first time anyone of my/our generation was truly proud to be Irish and I wanted everyone in Wembley to know it.

Couple of years back : Brian Wilson at the Point doing "God Only Knows". Special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

getting elbowed in the face at Moby in the point

ok so i havent been to many concerts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    getting elbowed in the face by Moby in the point

cool!

Getting pushed to the ground when everyone began to surge forward during Queens of the Stone Age at Slane last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

MUSE - wittnesssss 2 years ago I think.

Was raining and everyone was wearing those raincoat thingys , great atmosphere. I lost all my friends and was really anoyed and just as I heard the start if Plug In Baby I saw the top of one of my friends heads miles away , ran over and enjoyed one of the best gigs EVAR :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Dam, a story I don’t want Darco to know about, but nevertheless… It was at Witnness, two or three years ago - whenever Basement Jaxx last played.

Just as they were about to start, got two pints of Guinness – the important part here is that it’s the end of the day, and I’d only had two or three pints all day long, with water in between. Anyway, I handed my mate the two pints, and because of the limit of two pints per person, I went in to get my second pint. Downed the first one and drank the second in less then 10 mins, went *jumping* about to Basement Jaxx for most of their set. Pure Magic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

REM at Slane -

I Was fairly near the front- It was getting dark and they played "everybody hurts" looking back up the hill at the lighters waving was unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by quarryman
    cool!

:eek: teh chaek to change my words :D

if Moby did elbow me in the face then ................ ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭unklefiction

One of the coolest moments I remember was when REM were playing at Slane and Oasis were supporting them, now I'm not the biggest fan of either of the bands but when Oasis came on there was a huge surge forward and a couple of hundred people at the front went down. Just to see the way Liam Gallagher took control of the crowd was a bit awe inspiring. He just shouted in that mancunian I'm gonna kick **** out of you voice "hey there are people getting f*cking hurt down here take a step back, TAKE A F*CKIN STEP BACK!!" and around 20,000 people in front of the stage all stepped backwards at exactly the same time I just thought now thats people power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

possibly getting handed the mic by the mc d.o.c. at the war of the roses gig in hasselt just after one of hollands better known djs had cued up rush hour by bad company... im not the biggest bad company fan in the world but by god their tunes are fun from an mc's point of view .:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Robbie Williams pointing at me and saying "You're fit" at his gig in front of thousands of people.

That was a pretty big head moment :D

Front row for Coldplay at Witnness last year was pretty amazing (Maaaasive Coldplay fan)

Ah there's been lots. Roll on the summer, lots of concerts to go to! Yay! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Originally posted by unklefiction
    One of the coolest moments I remember was when REM were playing at Slane and Oasis were supporting them, now I'm not the biggest fan of either of the bands but when Oasis came on there was a huge surge forward and a couple of hundred people at the front went down. Just to see the way Liam Gallagher took control of the crowd was a bit awe inspiring. He just shouted in that mancunian I'm gonna kick **** out of you voice "hey there are people getting f*cking hurt down here take a step back, TAKE A F*CKIN STEP BACK!!" and around 20,000 people in front of the stage all stepped backwards at exactly the same time I just thought now thats people power.

That's cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Crowd surfing during Soundgarden's set at Sunstroke 95. Half way through "Fell On Black Days" I'm making my way stageward when this girl joins me up top. We link hands and sing to each other as we get passed forward. And I never saw her again...:(

Magic.

Oh, and Slayer in the SFX in 94. Half the crowd are on their way to the doors after "Angel Of Death" when the band return and rip into "Chemical Warfare". Chaos ensued.

And the stage invasions at Biohazard in the Tivoli.

And Sepultura's entire set at Brixton Academy the night Max left the band.

Another good gig moment for me was meeting Mundy at Witness last year and he initiated a conversation with me. I didnt know who he was at first.
    Or when I met Wayne Coyne from the Flaming Lips.
    At Mogwai last year I was right up against the barrier and it was fu*king amazing. Im surprised I didnt go deaf.

Dam, a story I don’t want Darco to know about, but nevertheless… It was at Witnness, two or three years ago - whenever Basement Jaxx last played.

Well for a story you didnt want me to know, youve told me it twice in the past.
    Oh and by the way its DARKO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Being at Mansuns last ever gig and catching Andy Rathbones 'last ever drumstick.' I'm sure it must be worth millions by now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Originally posted by ClareBear
    Robbie Williams pointing at me and saying "You're fit" at his gig in front of thousands of people.

That was a pretty big head moment :D

Front row for Coldplay at Witnness last year was pretty amazing (Maaaasive Coldplay fan)

Ah there's been lots. Roll on the summer, lots of concerts to go to! Yay! :D

interesting... do post a picture !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Hmmm... best moments.

In no particular order.

Sigur Ros (Ambassador) - At the height of Sfven E Anglar looked through the crowd and saw the girl I was in love with standing near the front. Felt like I was coming up on a drug.

Smog (Roisin Dubh) - Listening to Bill Callahan play 'River Guard'. Absolutely amazingly brilliant.

Godspeed You Black Emperor (Ambassador) - Watching the visuals in awe as the band built up to the crescendo of 'Storm'

Sonic Youth (Olympia) - Encore of 'Death Valley 69' was ****ing brilliant.

REM (Slane) - My first big gig. Throwing all the cups in the air during Let Me In and looking back at the sea of lighters during Everybody Hurts (think it was that song anyway)

Still raging that I was too sick to go see the Breeders cause I'm sure there'd have been a moment there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

"This is Eric's Trip, we've all come to watch him slip, he's slippin' all the way to Texas. Can you dig it?"

Sonic Youth, Witnness 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Originally posted by Jeff_Lebowski
    Godspeed You Black Emperor (Ambassador) - Watching the visuals in awe as the band built up to the crescendo of 'Storm'

God Yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

first concert i went to was ozzfest 2002 at punchestown.
    stage 2 was absolutely dire because all you could hear was a wall of sound if anyone remembers it.
    during systems set i got fecked over the railings in the middle of sugar. classic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

'creep' at radiohead in december. never thought id hear it live.

i thought the point wud suck but the atmosphere was really cool.

cept for the two scumbags in front of us who obviously thought they were at cream and kept throwing 'shapes'
    funny all the same though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭razorfeather

Originally posted by Darko
    Getting pushed to the ground when everyone began to surge forward during Queens of the Stone Age at Slane last year.

*nods* yeah, mmhuhm. know the pain.

Originally posted by kano476
    first concert i went to was ozzfest 2002 at punchestown.
    stage 2 was absolutely dire because all you could hear was a wall of sound if anyone remembers it.
    during systems set i got fecked over the railings in the middle of sugar. classic.

im such an idiot i didn't go to ozzfest. tool and system of a down. what am i like. that sounds amazing .

I GOT A GUN THE OTHER DAY FROM SAKO ITS CUTE ITS SMALL FITS RIGHT IN MY POCKET , yeah right in my pocket. **kano476 gets fecked over the railings**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

the oasis gig in cork about 8 yrs ago now.. the prodigy were supporting.. right at the front.. best atmosphere of any concert i've been too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Polyphonic Spree, Brixton Academy last year. For the encore they came out on stage, and played Five Years by David Bowie. There aren't many songs that sound as if they could do with the 'strings/brass/choir/2 drummers/kitchen sink' treatment. This is one of 'em. Blew me mind!

At the v end, Tim DeLaughter threw his robe into the audience, I got a hand to it, and then involved in the fight afterwards. No - I didn't ge the robe, but it was nice to be involved in one of the few fights at a PS gig...

went to see radiohead in the olympia last year and whilst queuing, colin greenwood walks out and starts scoping the crowd. i saw him and nearly collapsed. :D what a legend.

then at the point gig in december got there well early and heard the soundcheck which was pretty cool.

went to the stereophonics in dublin castle, and mundy was supportin, and he didnt seem to be playin july so me and my mate just kept shouting july..and then he eventually goes

oh alright, wasn't on the playlist but *intro to july* /me cacks my pants

a bad mermory would be the security at the korn concert in 2000 or whenever it was, ringing my friends parents to see if we were allowed in because we didn't have id. for feck sake like. then we get in to find theres no bar ? *DUN DUN DUN*

Advertisement