Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear and Loathing. a savage journey to the heart of the American dream

Options
  • 03-06-2004 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭

"We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, When the drugs started to take hold"

Bought this on Monday, brilliant book. anyone read it? its hilarious. I do regret watching the film first though. only one problem though, its like two-hundred pages long and quite un-putdownable, needless to say I was finished by tuesday evening.

still a great read

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

yea fear and loathing was a great book, finished it the day i bought it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

I finished it months after I bought it
    Put it down quite a lot during that period
    Don't recall laughing at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

i loved the book--its typical nostalgia...nothing looks better than when viewed through the fog of time-- but all the same its an experience.i have a silly fascination with the late 60's and san fran.the film was really good too, best way to do hard drugs without the side-effects! benicio is brilliant in it and so is depp...i think they are actually doing the sequel at the mo --the rum diaries-- and the same guys are going to be in it......thompson has a lot of other books aswell--i think he wrote a book on hells angels or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

Oh good I liked the Rum Diaries. It was his first book I think. Drink a bottle of Rum a day then write about the sort of **** you find yourself in.

if you like freaky druggy movies rent requiem for a dream..or is that requiem of a dream???...anyway thats a really good film but a bit nitty-grittty--not for the faint-hearted --also based on a book..cant recall the name of the guy who wrote it but hes pretty famous and i think he died a few weeks ago...there was a obituary about him in hotpress

• Advertisement

aah yes... i remember now ..his name is(was) herbert selby jr.....also wrote last exit to brookyln....fear x is another film out recently based on one of his books..he died on april 26th

hopr this pic worksss...[ralphsteadman.com-images-00art-art01-02drgonzo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by fizzynicenice
    "We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, When the drugs started to take hold"

Bought this on Monday, brilliant book. anyone read it?

I've been looking for one of my favourite HST quotes in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas";
    Journalism is a long plastic money trench where thieves and whores thrive and good men die like dogs

But I can't find it - anyone know where it is in "Fear and Loathing" or where else it's from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

.logic.

spot on logic :D

where's it from?

• Advertisement

found this
    The TV business is uglier than most things. It is normally perceived as some kind of cruel and shallow money trench through the heart of the journalism industry, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs, for no good reason.

it's from Generation of Swine: Tales of Shame and Degradation in the '80s - page 43 apparently

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/weekly/aa011001a.htm

there are some great fear and loathing related sites ==go to http://www.ralphsteadman.com --thats the guy that did the illustrations in the book...i love to draw myself and i really like his style........

02drgonzo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭karma kabbage

Was actually chatting to a guy in cork last weekend, a guy in art college and as I loked through some o his notebooks hi s sketches began to look familiar, twas just like the illustrations from f&l in LV Impressive.

Read the book ytears ago and yet still hold a soft spot for it. I agree with fizzynicenice one of those books you just wish you didn't have to finish. At the time i read it I found so many quotable quotes I actually started bringing a pencil round with me so i could underline my favs!

Advertisement