Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Mustards

• 03-06-2004 12:42am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I thought we should give some coverage to the ranges of Irish Mustards that are available.

Lakeshore foods seem to have an interesting sounding range, but I'm not sure that I've come across them to buy very often. I did buy their "strong irish mustard" earlier and gave it a go on a couple of ham sandwiches. Not as strong as I was expecting considering the name of it (not as strong as the colman's english mustard anyway!) but not bad and you can apply a generous dose of it to your meat without making your nose steam up if that's important to you. I think I would have preferred it a bit stronger, but overall a thumbs up from this punter!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Used to get a Ballymaloe mustard when I was younger, recently though we don't buy anything from the Allen's.

*nods*

A friend of the families makes a lovely mustard down in Cork also. Can't think of the name, but it goes lovely in a salad dressing, with olive oil and white wine vinegar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Whole Grain Mustard with Irish Whiskey is mild and delicately tangy. Delicious with pâtés, salamis, and smoked meats; adds interest to cheese dishes, and zest to marinades; gives extra flavor to savory stuffings.

From Lakeshore

It sounds really good. (It's also funny that you can make an Irish version of just about any food or drink by adding whiskey). As for where to buy Lakeshore mustards off-line, I've only ever seen them in box sets for tourists or for Christmas in fancy shops rather than in supermarkets. A pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

!

I've seen them on the shelves in Tesco many a time.

They're as common as muck.

Fair enough. I'm either blind or the supermarkets I go to are really rubbish!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I believe you took a picture of some just recently.

Supermarket.JPG

On the right there. Top shelf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I don't think that's Lakeshore.
    Ifit's mustard I'm thinking of, I've had it before and it really disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I'm quite concerned at the amount of foreign mustards available on Supermarket shelves. Should there not be some sort of quota to stop all these bogus sandwich-seeking mustards coming in and pushing traditional Irish mustards off the shelves. Time we closed this loophole!!

Dalkey mustard say I!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Just stir in a bit of Whiskey and you good to go.

Originally posted by ecksor
    I believe you took a picture of some just recently.

On the right there. Top shelf.

Do'h! That's how bad my eyesight is, if something is not right in front of me, I don't see it.

On the bright side, I'll go get me a pot of that soon!

Originally posted by MadsL
    I'm quite concerned at the amount of foreign mustards available on Supermarket shelves. Should there not be some sort of quota to stop all these bogus sandwich-seeking mustards coming in and pushing traditional Irish mustards off the shelves. Time we closed this loophole!!

Dalkey mustard say I!
    Ah now. The more mustard variety the better.
    Lakeshore Wholegrain Mustards are prepared by hand in the traditional French manner using the finest natural ingredients without artificial colorings, flavorings or preservatives. They are produced in Ballinderry, Co. Tipperary in small batches to retain the distinctive flavors that have been created to enhance all savory dishes from
    (from the site I linked to above)

More mustard from abroad = more variety in home mustard as well. No mustard producing country is an island, well, metaphorically speaking that is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Yes but recently 58% of these 'sandwich-seekers' have arrived straight off the boat as a two-pack. I hear that these jars can then claim full status as 'Irish mustard' simply through being sold on Irish shelves. No other EU country allows this mustard-tourism and it must stop!! Close this loophole and vote YES!!!!
    prepared by hand in the traditional French manner

This is insidious. Irish mustard processes should be given first crack of whip (dribble) STOP this NOW!!! vote YES!!!

Advertisement