Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anybody been to Bratislava

• 03-06-2004 2:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Thinking of heading to Bratislava for a long weekend in the summer with a few mates. Anybody been there, would you recommend it? I was in Prague a couple years a go and the place is brilliant, really cheap too, so im thinking Bratislava would be along the same lines (but possibly even cheaper)...

In fact, which of the more eastern European cities would you recommend for a hol?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

I was in Brataslava recently..Nice city.
    I didn't really do much there except site-seeing but I'm sure there's plenty to do

It is much cheaper than Prague but I don't think it has as much of a nightlife..
    Budapest is the new Prague ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by fragile
    In fact, which of the more eastern European cities would you recommend for a hol? [/B]
    Budapest.
    I know people who've been to Bratislava and didn't particularly like it.

Vienna is also a lovely city for a weekend but is possibly more expensive than Prague and definitely more expensive than Budapest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

City Centre Bratislava is really nice - just like Salzburg if not more authenic with all
    cobble streets, timberframe houses and outdoor cafebars.

Suburban Bratislava on the other hand is dire. Leave the old walled town and
    walk for about 10 minutes and it is all industrial type areas. Just think of Dublin
    Docks...all warehouses etc. but in Bratislava all run down and rusting...most depressing place ever! do not go to suburban Bratislava with a hangover you'll think
    you've died and gone to hell!!

But as I've said old-town Bratislava is really nice. The beer is just 45c a pint and
    a full (decent) meal can be had for €3...Bratislava nearly tops the poll when it comes to cheapest cost of living. Make sure to get accomodation in old town. And do visit the castle well worth seeing and of course the Irish pub(hidden in a sidestreet) in old town...which serves good Guinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

I was in Bratislava there in April . The Old part of the City is nice but as JetsonX says the suburbs aint the very nice . If you do manage to find The Dubliner Pub , down one of the sidestreets ,, Good Beer , Good Food , Good Crowds and Smashing looking Barmaids :) ... Well worth a Visit

If you do manage to get to the Dubliner .. Try out the Platter they serve .. 1.5Kg of Meat on a plate ,, steaks, buffalo wings etc ,, all for 650 SK .. Which works out at about €16 .. It will take 4 , maybe 5 people to make a hole in it , its that big.

Soccer Season is probably over but we got into the Inter Bratislava Stadium , about 2 Km from Central Bratislava for 50SK .. €1.25 For the Bratislavan Derby ...

Advertisement