Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL IRELAND - €100m Broadband rollout

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

my cousin rang ntl recently and they claimed to him that the cap for the 1mb/1.5mb options is 3gig a day and 1gig a day for the 600/750 which wud make sense.

With Dublin, Galway & Waterford all due to be completed by 2006 this can only be good for everyone even those like myself who live in rural countryside with eircom dsl, hopefully we'll see upgrades from eircom coming shorty, most importantly those miserable caps to sommet decent around 30/40gig a month and perhaps a speed increase to 1mb tho I think im being too hopefull.

Hopefully Eircom are having urgent meetings now about this as its the first real serious competition eircom has received to about 1/3 of the countrys population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i know the plan is to have Galway/Waterford completed by 2006... but will they actually start rolling out in august?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Hey Shinzon,
    Digiweb will be live in Waterford in the next month, or so they say. IBB will be live later in the year. Depending on where you live, you should have a choice of wireless providers shortly.
    Both will have a main mast at Gracedieu, up at the ESB building on top of the hill overlooking the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

thx for the info IWB

one way or another old SHINZO will have BB, and scruff i apologise LOL, theres an aul shovel here somewhere waiting for YE

:D

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Dublin, Thursday, 3rd June, 2004
    Dermot Ahern T.D., Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources, today welcomed the €100 million investment by NTL in the Broadband market in Ireland, describing it as delivering another nail in the coffin of high prices.

The Minister said the entry by NTL into the Broadband market with very competitive rates would drive up demand and lead to further price cuts. Since last year Broadband monthly charges have fallen from about €100 per month to less than €30.

“I believe the entry by NTL into the Broadband market is very significant because of the large customer base the company currently enjoys. It makes absolute sense for a company such as NTL, delivering cable television services into hundreds of thousands of homes around the country to broaden their offering to customers by supplying broadband at very keen rates. Ultimately, it is the consumer who is the winner.”

“I met with NTL executives yesterday prior to their launch and was very impressed by the packages they intend offering. As Minister responsible for broadband, the NTL offer will undoubtedly lead to increased uptake of broadband and lead to even greater choice in the market. We are still on target to have 100,000 broadband users by the end of the year which moves Ireland dramatically up the Broadband European table.”
    Ends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Jesus that's good. We here in Knocknacarra, Galway don't even have wireless yet, let alone dsl or cable.

The cable here is new and there'd be no competition so I hope they come here FAST!

/me goes off to e-mail NTL.

que

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Originally posted by Fobia
    Jesus that's good. We here in Knocknacarra, Galway don't even have wireless yet, let alone dsl or cable.

The cable here is new and there'd be no competition so I hope they come here FAST!

All the Cable network on the west side is two-way (BB ready).

They just need to connectivity to the outside world, which i assume the recently complated MAN will provide.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Don't like this though ....

"Always-On is currently only available to selected areas within Dublin.You must be a subscriber to ntl's Basic TV pack in order to avail of ntl's Broadband service."

Their tv service is complete s***e... got rid of them 2 years ago and went with $ky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I'm in D.15, with bad copper. I will go with anyone other than Eircom, just because I hate Eircom aswell. They will do nothing unless they absolutely have do, and then they won't be cheaper than the other guys becauses they don't have to. Theres a dumb group who will pick eircom because they don't know any better. Eircom knows that. Once Eircom see that people with failed lines, have an option they'll put something in place to fix the failed lines. But for me at least its too late.

NTL D.15 plleeeeeasssse.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

Dont forget to add on the TV cable charge as well @ €18per month......therefore BB charge + TV charge = Overall

Its ok if u use the cable tv but costs if u use an ariel or satalite dish

me ...i just complain and pay it.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Right well I've e-mailed them anyways, hopefully they can tell me something......

"the recently complated MAN"

What's that? :?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Couch Potato

Their tv service is complete s***e... got rid of them 2 years ago and went with $ky.

It just goes to show, you can't please everyone.

Well you have two options:

1) NTL TV €18 + BB

or

2) Eircom Line Rental €22 + BB

I know the one I prefer.

Something like 60% of homes in Dublin have NTL, so it is no problem for most people. Even if you don't get NTL, it should still benefit you with better competition from Eircom.

As a person who moved from Cork, where we have the awful Chorus service, NTL seems way better. I love the way that you can hook up multiple TV's to it, you can't do that with either Sky or Chorus (well not without paying a lot more), it is a very handy service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Originally posted by Fobia
    "the recently complated MAN"

What's that? :?

Metropolotiian Area Network,

Remember all the road works on Taylors Hill and other roads for "Galway Broadband project".

It's a fibre ring around the city.

New EUR 9 million Galway Broadband Network Goes Live

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Originally posted by wideband
    Dont forget to add on the TV cable charge as well @ €18per month......therefore BB charge + TV charge = Overall

Its ok if u use the cable tv but costs if u use an ariel or satalite dish

me ...i just complain and pay it.:rolleyes:

Shut the **** up you maggot. Christ almighty some people are never happy.

Eirscum have ripped off the Irish public for decades with there crappy service and now there is real competition to them by a company who dosent use there service's at all for providing a BB service. Hell alot of people would switch to NTL even if both products were the same price and same features, just to give the rat the finger.

Eirscum are due some major payback for all the ****e SOOOO many people have had to put up with for a long time. They ****ed over this country so many times in so many ways with there over priced and very poor services. Time to pay the piper Eirscum :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

Originally posted by Venom

Eirscum have ripped off the Irish public for decades with there crappy service and now there is real competition to them by a company who dosent use there service's at all for providing a BB service.
    watch the tone dude, he has a point. The calculation is not correct without mentioning the necessary 18E for TV which is excessive IMHO.
    And secondly regarding competion - where are the products? Where will it be avaible? When? I believe it when I see it. Till then there's no real competion from ntl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Originally posted by silent
    watch the tone dude, he has a point. The calculation is not correct without mentioning the necessary 18E for TV which is excessive IMHO.
    And secondly regarding competion - where are the products? Where will it be avaible? When? I believe it when I see it. Till then there's no real competion from ntl

My point is that its fair for NTL to charge for there TV service along with broadband as its only ONE company you have to deal with if you wise to use the service they provide.

I have NO choice in dealing with Eirscum even tho Im with Netsourse for my ADSL. I dont want to deal with Eirscum at all as they are rip off bastards and a complete pain in the ass to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by bk
    2) Eircom Line Rental €22 + BB
    eircom line rental is €24.18

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by Venom

Anything like that from you again Venom and you'll be permenantly banned. No more warnings. Same goes for everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

Another person here from D15. :)
    Me hopes NTL are coming to Blanch at the end of the year. Does anybody know where exactly NTL are going to in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

There seems to be a consensus forming that Dublin 15 should be the first area upgraded by NTL after completion of the southside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Another vote for D15. Still living in hope I'll get broadband someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    There seems to be a consensus forming that Dublin 15 should be the first area upgraded by NTL after completion of the southside.

What areas of the southside? where i live its a load of bollox at the moment. one side of the road have cable ntl while those of us on the other side have to use mmds ntl. and despite being within range of dsl and ibb can get neither cause to copper is rubbish an no los:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Why after the Southside ??? Why is the Southside always first in line !!!!
    Right where is me gun, I am gonna sort this out the old fashioned way, if
    I kill everyone on the southside, the northside is gonna get it first .... ;)

Originally posted by MDR
    Why after the Southside ??? Why is the Southside always first in line !!!!
    Because the Southside is relatively underserved by cable internet at the moment.

Because the Southside is relatively underserved by cable internet at the moment

Jesus Christ, do you mean that I have had cable internet available to me all along and I didn't know. :D

No wait hang on, I think you have the Northside confused with Dublin West there Mike. The southside is well covered by wireless internet, the northside is not, nor is it covered by Cable Internet, ergo there is prolly more of market over here, well thats the theory, if we all could stop stopping, dragging our knuckles and drooling and perhaps learn to use a computer ... maybe we would have a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Because the Southside is relatively underserved by cable internet at the moment.

isnt the whole country underserved by cable internet at the moment? sans a few places on the southside :D

I don't really understand what everyone is so excited about - at the earliest by october some more areas will have ntl internet access and maybe with big luck most of dublin by mid 2005. And dont forget it's ntl we are talking about - so add another year to that projection. I'd love to be mistaken in this case though

Originally posted by MDR
    Jesus Christ, do you mean that I have had cable internet available to me all along and I didn't know. :D

No wait hang on, I think you have the Northside confused with Dublin West there Mike.
    No, I meant compared to the southsides of other modern Western capital cities the southside of Dublin is relatively underserved. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Another vote for D15. The market here is so undervalued, and very untapped - the population here has grown so much in the last 5 years even, and is continuing to grow. Get up here NTL!! :)

I vote from Dublin 15 too and I vote for Dublin 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

well i rang NTL today just to see what they had to say about all of this, i tell ya i really dont think anybody reads a newpaper in that place

Guy on the phone hadnt a clue what i was on about, told me he couldtnt divulge any of NTLs plans for the future at this stage

Strange considering that NTL divulged everything in the irish times to just about everybody yesterday.

Anyhoo he reckons Waterford wont be on the broadband radar until next year at the earliest

take that as usual with a pinch of salt

Shin

Advertisement