Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL IRELAND - €100m Broadband rollout

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Hush up, Waterford already has 9Mbps :P ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Another vote for D15!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

From their website:
    Where and when will ntl's roadband Internet service be available?

The rollout plan of our broadband internet service is currently only available in certain parts of West Dublin in and around the Dublin 24, 22, 16, 12, 6, 6W, Kimmage and Lucan areas. You will need to live in an area where ntl have built a cable network and offer its cable services. In order to get more information on our roll out plan and get an indicative date of when the service will be available in your area, please call 1800 923 005.
    That number, however, is not valid.

I phoned up the main number and was told that although they have finalised the rollout plan, they will not be releasing the information till the middle of next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Certain parts is also a nice disclaimer, the ntl cable in my area is apparently so **** i can't even get digital through it. Ah well, here's to hopes of an upgrade in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Seems NTL are being clever about their rollout plans:

Irish Times Article
    NTL refused to reveal its schedule for upgrading its network to carry broadband to prevent rivals such as Eircom from targeting certain areas for sales.

The broadband service will be marketed by direct mail when an upgrade to its network is finished in a particular area...
    Should they be given the benefit of the doubt perhaps...

viking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

KNOCKNACARRA

ntl sent me back a polite e-mail saying that the e-mailer will contact me when she has any more information on the subject.

Much better than eircom's customer service, will definitely be going to cable even if eircom upgrade my exchange to compete with NTL.

que

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Anyone I know on the soutside, can get broadband either through the phoneline or through wireless. Why is it underserved? I don't think it is. Look at all the D.15 people in this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I also heartily endorse D15 for an upgrade - after a long debate (0 seconds) and in depth studies (my own personal opinion) I have come to the obvious conclusion that I need 1.5Mbps NOW!:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by LookingFor
    Hush up, Waterford already has 9Mbps :P ;)

God how many times must this be said, Wateford does not will not and never will have 9mbps, thats cablesurf in dungaravan, and since they have no plans whatsoever to expand to waterford city, its a bit of a moot point saying we do when we dont

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Just as a sidenote, This is heralded as big news internationally, On Neowin.net it made front page news.
    http://www.neowin.net
    http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=21000&category=main#comments

and also made it to the register
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/03/ntl_ireland_network/

Hopefully this means that all this publicity will put pressure on NTL to realise their plan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Another vote for D15/Blanchardstown here.

Note to NTL - Blanchardstown area will have a larger population than Limerick within the next few years.
    Most of the estates are new so if NTL haven't skimped the cost of rollout should be lower than in most other areas of Dublin.

Only reason I have a phone line is for internet.
    If cable broadband becomes available then I will switch when my 1 year minimum contract term with my DSL service provider is up saving me circa €29.17 per month in total if I select the 300kbps service.

€29.17 *12 = €350.14 for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Another vote for D15/Blanchardstown here. + Im voting for all my mates wo would avail of the service.

If you are living arround the blanch area I advise you to ring NTL and register your interest and get your mates to do all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    That number, however, is not valid.

It is, just got an answer there. They said in a month to six weeks they hope to have details on which areas will be in the upgrade/rollout, and to call back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Right got a second reply from NTL, I will post it here

Dear Sir/Madam,

As per your previous email I have received a response from our Marketing Department on your query about our Cable Modem Services.

As you may know, ntl offer Broadband services in selected areas of West Dublin and Lucan. Unfortunately, your area is not yet capable of receiving Broadband from ntl at this time. ntl are also unable to provide specific timescales as to when the network in your area will be upgraded in order to provide you with Broadband, however every effort is being made to make this service available to more and more customers.

Should you want to discuss this or any other product in more detail, please contact us on 1800 923005 to speak to an ntl representative.

Kind regards

No real info, but still better than eircom's customer service :).

que

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

At least you rang. So tat is one more person that has registered there interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

i live in D-15 and have RADSL with netsource atm, but if NTL came in the area i'd gladly get rid of em (thank you two month contract, I knew you were good for something), and sign up with NTL straight away, not to mention getting rid of my land line so eircom can't get any more money from me.

God I really hate eircom. We really need a PROPER VIABLE alternative to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Well I had a chat with a fairly competent sounding lady in NTL a few weeks ago and she couldn't say that NTL BB would be available for definite in Inchicore (Dublin 8 area) but that I should keep an eye on the post over the next couple of months to see if a flyer offering it came in the door. So it sounds like that might be one area definitely covered. Especially if Crumlin is going to be covered too (I noticed that over on the BB forum).

Anyone else get any "unofficial" info on their area?

Mind you NTL has to be one of the worst managed companies in the country so I'm not sure they should be regarded as everyones saviour.. Although they do seem to have improved over the last year or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I rang and was told its not in the plans to do D.15. But I got the impression the guy was talking abut their existing DSL network, not any upgrades. A friend (in D.15) got a call from them wondering if he wanted boardband. But I assume this is a mistake since he doesn't have cable TV and can'tget it yet because his estate isn't hooked up to NTL yet due to some dispute with the builder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

so when people get rid of their landlines, do they use their mobiles for everything? Just wondering...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

looks like my local exchange isn't DSL enabled.

you bastids at NTL had better hurry up and deliver 1.5 meg cable goodness to Galway... i'll buy 2 packages if you do:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement