Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pain Killer Woes

Options
  • 03-06-2004 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Painkiller keeps crashing on my machine. It's a AMD 64, and vid card is ati 9600xt. I've DX9 and tried both the latest Catalyst drivers from Ati for the video card and the latest Omega drivers. The game just freezes and I have to reset my machine. The problem doesn't occur in any other games. I've tried googling but to no avail. Anyone any ideas which I can try?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

the latest patch for the game might be worth a try (50mb though!!!)
    up to date chipset drivers?
    directX 9.0b?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Yeah, directX 9.0b alright. And sorry, I should have said, it's the patched version. I'll try chipset drivers. Although it's a relatively new board and I installed chipset drivers from cd that came with it. I'll give it a go though.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I know you said that the problem dosent occur with other games....but usually a game freezing is the gfx card or somthing overheating...are you overclocking it ?

:)
    CombatCow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

aye, could most likely be the processor overheating. isn't there some kind of patch for the a64's that reduce their operating temperature greatly?
    have a look for that if you haven't got it already

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

yeah its called '' cool and quiet'',should be able to get it from amd's site.

CombatCow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

I'm not overclocking anything. I don't believe in overclocking really. You are just shortening the life span of your hardware, and it's not really necessary.

Temp of CPU is about 38-42, it varies. I haven't setup CnQ as yet, I'll try that. I'll also try measure the temp of the GPU and see how that is fairly. Although it was only slightly warm to the touch when I was trying to get it working last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

www.pkeuro.com

or #painkiller.euro on IRC

answers are there i think

Advertisement